countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty Home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 1, 2016
The Tragically Hip’s Up to Here, sometimes described as the band’s second album, is actually its first full length album. It’s the one that broke them open and when it was flying off the shelves in record shops across Canada (eventually selling a million copies in a country that now has just 35 million people) their “other” first album a truncated 8-song affair, and one of the few I’ve not heard, was hidden away in discount cassette bins. Up to Here is a great, more or less, straight-ahead rock-n-roll album. However, the moody “38 Years Old,” the sing-along “Boots or Hearts,” and the beautifully atmospheric “Another Midnight” suggest things to come from a group that had an incredible variety of songs and albums spanning more than a quarter century. Road Apples evolved from Up to Here, but they never made another album like this one. It sounded fresh then and retains that freshness now. That said, if you’re new to the hip, I suggest starting with Up to Here and then moving on to Road Apples, Full Completely, and Day for Night. You can’t go wrong.

Troy Parfitt is the author of War Torn: Adventures in the Brave New Canada
on March 20, 2014
Are you kidding? You already Love The Hip if your looking for them on Vinyl so I will not waste your time talking about how fabulous they are. But 180 gram High quality digital master, excellent press means Get it!
super fast shipping, very very happy.
on June 6, 2016
My "go to CD" to show off my system. My "tweaking" CD. The first CD I ever bought the day I bought my first CD player in 1988. "Blow At High Dough" is simply amazing sound quality. The drums, bass, buzzing guitars in both speakers...outstanding..Then skip to " New Orleans is Sinking" with the bass line ...I have had pictures fall off the walls. Although I think start to finish " Fully Completely" was a stronger record, those two songs are their very best in my opinion.
on March 11, 2017
A classic example of youthful brilliance, released in 1989. - Four barn burners of great musical breadth on this recording: Blow at High Dough - with its classic heavy and unforgettable riff, New Orleans is Sinking - gutsy guitar and lyrics, 38 Years Old - a Main Street America homespun tale that applies every place that has a prison, Boots or Hearts, an awesome song with a country - slide guitar twang and some of the best one liners ever penned... "When it starts to fall apart, man, it really falls apart"... No shit eh? . Others of exceptional merit include Trickle Down and Opiated... Hugely recommended for anybody that needs an introduction to TTH ... or an old classic rock fan that is looking for unplucked gems!
on October 12, 2013
This is the best Music On Vinyl release I have Bought. Full range sound Dynamic and nice quiet Vinyl. If you like this album and are thinking of getting it you will love it.
on July 29, 2013
The Hip's BEST album as far as I am concerned, although Road Apples was probably their biggest selling album. Up to Here is what really made me pay attention to the Hip. If you can listen to this without tapping your feet and warbling along with Gordon Downie's vocals, maybe you need to drink more coffee. Basically I wore out a cassette [what's a cassette, Daddy?] of this album in high school and my original CD was scratched beyond all repair. I needed a fresh digital source so I bought it again. for me, a top 10 album all time. I think I got it for $5. Spend it.
on January 19, 1999
This quality album is The Hip's second of their current collection of eight and is definately worth listening to over and over again. The album starts off with a great beat in "Blow at High Dough" and continues with "I'll Believe in You". Then comes The Hip's signature song "New Orleans is Sinking" which is probably the most popular Hip song ever. A personal favourite of mine includes "Trickle Down" along with the mellow "Thirty Eight Years Old". Everyone, not just Hip fans should give this album a shot, and be blown away by the Hip!
on July 15, 1998
Americans who haven't heard The Tragically Hip don't know what they are missing. In Canada, the release of a new Hip album is almost a religious experience - for Henhouse, people lined up at midnight to buy copies. One music store I go to said they sell more copies of a new Hip album than they do of anything else except Pink Floyd - about 450 copies per week. I didn't think much of the Hip until I thought I should give them a listen because they are from my hometown. But from the first words of "Blow at High Dough", I was hooked: They made a movie once / In my hometown / Out at the speedway / Some kind of Elvis (eighties?) thing / Everyone was in it, for miles around / Oh, I ain't no movie star / But I can get behind anything" - blam, amazing guitar sound and they are off. The key to the Hip IMHO is Gord Downie. He is a poet, rocker, mystic in the tradition of Jim Morrison. The Hip's songs just aren't like other rock bands - musically a little maybe! ! but the lyrics are so cool. From New Orleans is Sinking: "I've got my hands in the river, my feet up on the banks, look up at the lord above and say Hey, Man, thanks" In a world of corporate rock and people who still get away with moon-June-spoon lyrics, Gord Downie comes across as a man possessed, a rock 'n roll visionary. I just hope he doesn't have any suicidal tendencies, because the world needs more Hip!
on June 12, 1998
The American listening audience has not been bitten by the Hip bug as Canada has been. This group can rock! The tracks off this album that were the first signs of greatness, "Blow at High Dough", "Boots or Hearts" and the tune that set this album apart "New Orleans Is Sinking" This album should be every music lovers collection.
on November 18, 2004
The Tragically Hip are the quintessential Canadian rock band, and this album is the quintessential offering from them. From the hard-driving FM classics "Blow at High Dough" and "New Orleans is Sinking" through the entire album, The Tragically Hip earn their reputation as the definitive Canadain rock and roll band. To all the Americans who have never bought into these Kingston men, they have no idea what they are missing. The live preformances of this band are electric; I have never attended a concert in which the audience was so captivated; the Hip are, in my opinion, the greatest live act in existence. Up to Here is probably their most 'straight-ahead-rock' album; the sound is not as refined as on Fully Completely, but Up to Here still refelcts a band with clear direction and killer sound. Essential for any Canadian music fan, or anyone that loves good old-fashioned rock and roll. LONG LIVE THE HIP!!!