Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

The Voice of the Sparrow: The Very Best of Edith Piaf
Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 18, 2001
For anyone that has perused my web site here on Amazon they are probably more than aware of my love for French culture. I'm a closeted Francophile...and proud of it! The films,wine,fashion and most of all the music of France is something I have always dearly loved. While being Irish (in origin only) I dearly love the French culture! That being said reviewing a disc by the amazing Edith Piaf is simply a "labor of love".
Now, to be completely honest I did not exactly warm up to this cd upon first hearing it. The sound is rather dated and I thought Ms. Piaf's voice, while indeed strong, was not exactly what I was used to when listening to female vocalists. I thought it sounded rather shrill and, at times, even off key. Mon Dieu!! What was I to expectations were so high that I truly expected "magic" to come pouring out of my speakers! Well, as with anything else that is truly worthwhile, I decided to stay with Ms. Piaf and give her, at least, the respect she deserves by listening a few more times. Obviously, my patience has more than paid off....if only because I can now appreciate the immense talent that she possessed.While sounding unlike any other vocalist that I had previously known she is able to contain more "raw emotion" in one song than most vocalist can emote in an entire cd!
Now although I consider myself a Francophile my command of the French language is, how to say,just slightly appropriate enough to order a bottle of wine, ask for directions to the Louvre and watch "Jean DeFlorette" with out English subtitles. Fortunately though knowing French will not deter you from enjoying this wonderful disc. While Edith Piaf tends to tackle most songs in a similar fashion, full-throttle, the tunes themseleves are awe inspiring if only becausre she is such total command of each selection. Hightlights, for me, are "La Vie En Rose", "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien", "Hymne A L'Amour" and "L'Accordeoniste". Again, while the sound may be slightly dated that does add a certain charm to these pieces. Plus,other than Billie Holiday, no one makes a "broken heart" feel so good!
Overall, having a cd by Edith Piaf is another of those discs that one will always have in their collection. She simply exudes France (where are you Catherine Denueve?) and all that is right when an artist is in true command of her talents. So pick up your copy of Edith Piaf "The Voice Of The Sparrow", a bottle of wine, a copy of "A Year In Provence" by Peter Mayle with a few fresh baguettes and make your way
home. Paris is waiting....just inside your front door.
on September 6, 2001
this is a great collection of edith piaf's works. this is the best one to buy if this is your first to introduce you to this great performer. i speak french but even if you do not, that is ok. you can feel edith's emotions in her songs, especially the ones she writes
c'est un grand collection du chansons d'edith piaf. c'est la meilleure acheter si c'est votre premiere, pour donner une introduction a cette vedette. je parle francais, mais si vous ne parlez pas francais, vous peuvez encore sentir les emotions, particularlement dans les chansons que edith a ecrit.
on January 15, 1999
This cd features some of the greatest songs by one of the greatest voices of our time. Among my favorite songs are "T'es Beau, Tu Sais", "Comme Moi", and "La vie en rose". This album is a must for anyone who loves Piaf and is a good collection for beginners who are unfamiliar with her songs. One need not understand French to enjoy this wonderful music. I must give this cd 5 stars, as there is no other voice like the voice of Edith Piaf.
on September 30, 2002
Is it the songs? Is it her voice? Or, is it the feeling? I think we have a combination of all above multiplied by the place of origin - France. I keep listening to Edith Piaf recordings for many years and I cannot get enough of it. She was a voice of love. She was a voice of freedom. And she was a voice of France.
on March 22, 2001
Edith Piaf, a voice out of the past, pouring her heart into her very best songs of love, "MiLord", "Hymne a l'amour", "Rien de Rien"......French really is the language of love. The English translations of these songs are pitiful approximations. And no one has a voice like Piaf. No one.
on March 12, 2000
I have never studied French, nor do I understand one word on this CD. However, I am mysteriously drawn to listen to it over and over. Piaf's voice, so alluring, sensual, and earthy all at once is one-of-a-kind. I know of no one alive today who can sing as Piaf sang.
on August 23, 1998
This album offers an excellent overview of the songs of Edith Piaf. The selection is varied and the sound quality is much better than that found on other recordings of Piaf. This is an extremely enjoyable album which will provide much nostalgic listening.
on August 30, 1998
Edith has such a beautiful and clear voice. You don't have to understand the language to appreciate it. It's relaxing to enjoy and listen to while driving. A good compilation of all her best known songs.
on December 28, 1998
Despite the language barrier, the emotional content of this artist comes through without doubt. It's a CD that can withstand many, many listenings, and still retain its ability to give pleasure.
on November 20, 2013
I bought this CD because my husband was rather fond of the songs she sang on this CD. Since he received it last night, he has really enjoyed it.