countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty Furniture Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Format: Audio CD|Change

on December 3, 2001
Raunchy, hilarious, a total blast. For those who appreciate low humor and high volume, this is one of the more fun discs in recent memory. This is the type of CD that you may forget you have after six months - but mainly because you played it to death for the first three.
While the first several glances suggest that he is not someone to be taken seriously, the fact remains that no one has fused rock and rap as successfully as Kid Rock. More listenable than Rage, more legit than Limp Bizkit, and as lyrically silly as the Chilis, Kid is a talented performer. He has an ear for great riffs, a penchant for clever lyrics, and an attitude that suggests he has found his true calling in life.
The disc runs the gamut from metallic and wonderfully stupid ("Bawitdaba") to the pop and wickedly clever ("Cowboy") to the funky and openly bitter ("Devil Without a Cause") - and that's just the first three songs. While several of the later tracks are less exceptional, the whole CD is fun and definitely worth the while.
on August 2, 1999
Every single song on here is f'ing awesome. Don't let MTV or the radio fool you. This Cd has variety and Kid Rock puts some real vibe into every song. The people that give it one star just do it cause they don't like white people i guess. Sorry to hear it. They're too busy listening to Master P yelling and saying "ugh" all the time. Rap music is at it's worst right now thanks to No Limit, and Kid Rock is the only one making it survive. This CD has real lyrics and not just some catchy chorus like most artists put in. You mad cause the language? You can't censor a masterpiece. The others just do it cause that's about all the talent that they have. They have no heart and no creativity. Kid Rock don't care about what people say about his combination of rap and rock. So what if he's white? So what if I'm white? Don't let color influence your music cause that's ignorant. This album is probably the best that's been put out in a few years, and I know he's got more in store. Buy this, listen to the words and music, and make your decision yourself. Don't let other people who listen to crap make you do the same.
on November 18, 2002
There's nothing really "wrong" with Kid Rock's breakout album "Devil Without A Cause", but there isn't anything particularly wonderful about it either - especially when looked at with a few years of hindsight.
To begin with, Kid Rock himself is not an overly talented vocalist or rapper - both of which are roles he attempts to play on the CD. As the opening moments of "Bawitdaba" demonstrate, Rock is capable of screaming quite well, but the rest of the album features rather pedestrian vocal performances from all concerned. In fact, there are moments on some of the louder tracks where Rock is almost drowned out by the backing music provided by Twisted Brown Trucker.
On the quieter tracks, "Cowboy" being a classic example, Rock sounds overused and cliched in both his delivery and his subject matter. The "white trash" thing never really had that much in the way of legs, especially when combined with Twisted Brown Trucker's melting pot of metal, country and rock backing. The vast majority of the tracks on "Devil" are either party tracks - which don't sound any good without a party, and even tend to get a bit boring with a party - and "white trash" tracks - which are repetitive at best.
The exception to this rule is "Only God Knows Why". Through an effect-treated vocal, Rock delivers a performance which evokes quite a few country performers but doesn't sound identical to any of them. It appears that this track was written the morning after Rock and friends partied to celebrate his major-label deal - after which Rock realised that there were still a few more songs needed. The opening lines "I've been sittin' here/tryin' to find myself/I get behind myself/Need to rewind myself" earn considerable plaudits for taking the time-worn subject matter and expressing it in a new manner - sadly the only time this is really done on the album.
When Rock turns his hand to "message raps" such as "Black Chic, White Guy", he falls very flat indeed. The topic of inter-racial romance has been dealt with before and will no doubt be again, and by better-credentialled performers in both the rap and rock camps. Indeed, as I write, Ziggy Marley's "Lee and Molly" is playing in the background - a much cleverer and more perceptive look at the issue.
The final major problem with "Devil" is the appearance of the late Joe C. The man - who was in his mid-to-late 20s when he died but looked about 7 because of a congenital defect - was not a talented rapper at all (witness his waste of air time on the title track) and really only served to turn Kid Rock's live show into a freak circus. While this may have been the intention of either or both men, it raises the questions of exactly what Rock was trying to achieve in his shows (a freak show or a concert) and also exactly how aware Joe C was of this possible exploitation. Having seen the band (on TV) at Woodstock 99, I can safely say that more of the performance was taken up with the question of "what is WITH that guy?" than any enjoyment of the music being played.
The album is not all bad, however. If all you're looking for in an album is something to put on a stereo, turn up to maximum volume and drive the neighbours insane - then this is certainly a top contender. The strong beats on many of the party tracks also makes is quite handy to have in a car stereo for much the same purpose. The CD is also interesting from the point of view that there is no electric bass used in the recording. If you're after insightful rap about any of the topics addressed in the lyrics or music which will stay in your mind as music - rather than sound - then stay away.
on May 12, 2000
Poor Twisted Brown Trucker. Those rebellious, tabacco-stained musicians who might have been a successful classic rock band have got themselves stuck in with a midget and some loser who thinks he's god's gift to everyone because he also thinks he can rap. The only thing Kid Rock seems to have going for him is lung capacity.
There is absolutely nothing original in this album at all. Kid Rock tries to rap, but he doesn't have a rappers voice or skill. He tries to form some kind of metal-rap fusion, which is inherently a stupid thing to do, and does it more clumsily than any other of the thousands of bands of that genre. Every song has the same drum beat and rhythm. Kid Rock repeats himself constantly. Prime example: "topless dancers who don't have any answers..." Apparently Kid Rock was so proud of the fact that he himself came up with this line, he had to stick in a bunch of songs to make sure no one misses its ingenuity and rhythm.
Most metal-rap bands manage to create some definitive style, however bad they are, but mixing Kid Rock and biker metal is a bit like mixing oil and water. Nothing meshes, nothing blends. It sounds like a drunk hillbilly rapping over a Pantera record. I'd cite some specific examples from specific songs, but they all sound the same, so I can't pick out one from another.
I saw an ad somewhere that Kid Rock learned to play metal on turntables. Be it a joke or not, I have one thing to say to that: ? Accompanying that comment was a picture of Kid Rock trying to look like white trash, with a Reverend guitar in his hand. A quote from a band member called the band a fusion of "rock, rap, gospel, country, blues, and mo-town" or something like that.Looks like he forgot techno, jazz and classical, but everything else is there. Saying its a fusion and then listing six genres being mixed makes you wonder about how well they could be mixed. The only country influence I can see is that one song is called "Cowboy", and it contains and ACOUSTIC GUITAR, which is pure country, of course, and a scratchy sample of some hobo playing a harmonica. The only gospel influence I can see is a badly placed sample from P-Funk or something that pops up out of nowhere in the middle of the song, in a different completely different key, mind you.
Once upon a time a long time ago, I bought this CD for a few reasons: 1) I thought Cowboy was kind of a cool song 2) I thought Kid Rock was black 3) I thought he was a bit more individual and was breaking some new ground. Then I found out that he was just some lame white mc with delusions of grandeur, and that he was being backed by an eight piece band, and that his CD insert was full of stupid pictures of him flopping around some city trying to look like he has more important things to do than get his picture taken. Save your money and buy some Rage Against the Machine instead of this drivel.
on July 27, 1999
Come on kids, wisen up. This music completely lacks class, artistry, and passion. Being as offensive and crass as you possibly can does not qualify as good lyrics. Which isn't to say I am literally offended by anything on this CD, I just find it mind-numbingly stupid and boring. Screeching distortion-fueled guitars does not make for musical intelligence. Completely foregoing anything resembling melody does not make you innovative or modern, it just makes you musically incompetent.
It saddens me that kids today think stuff like this is actually rebellious just because it's loud and has a lot of 4-letter words in it. There was a time when rock rebellion actually was infused with meaning and urgency; Kid Rock and the legion of testosterone-fueled rap-rockers of today don't have the first clue about genuine rebellion. This is just a pre-packaged marketing scam to rip off 15 year old boys. And apparently it's working beautifully. I pray the gods of real music will have the last laugh when Kid Korn Bizkit Chamber wind up their five minutes of fame in the musical sewer where they all belong.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 4, 2015
I preface this review by making it clear that I do enjoy Beyonce’s music and feel that whatever Kid Rock might have publicly said about her is really just him secretly admiring her as a musician/music performer. However, I was curious to check out the music collection of Devil Without A Cause by Kid Rock because I’m familiar with some of his music from back around 1998-1999 when I was finishing up high school. The first songs that I remember first hearing by Kid Rock are Bawitdaba and I Am The Bullgod through a local alternative radio station the frequently played Kid Rock’s music. I ended up hearing Cowboy some time later. What I enjoy the most about this music collection is that he is not afraid to honestly bare his music soul publicly even on controversial matters and in a storytelling type of format. For instance, in track 14 of the music mashup of Black Chick White Guy/I Am The Bullgod he recalls a tale (I’m not 100% sure if it is himself or someone he knows) of an interracial couple first getting together as high school students and basically does not sugarcoat that the female ended up pregnant by freshman year of high school after they hooked up several times throughout middle and high school (some conservative people may gasp when he admits to them even hooking up in one of their school bathrooms during track 14). He sticks around as she has his baby(a boy) but stress and life eventually tear them apart. Some time later, they reunite again after he is making more money and they get intimate again. She has two more children and one of them is a daughter that he thought was his. He does not put down the daughter and even remarks how beautiful she is but the complicated part is that the character in Kid Rock’s musical story finds out that the daughter is not actually his. They eventually break up again but the guy eventually raises the son as his own and loves him very much even to this day. With this storytelling aspect in just track 14 alone maybe he could meet up with R-Kelly (even though he is from another music genre but R-Kelly has released the soap opera like yet interesting trapped in the the closet chapters that can be currently seen on youtube) and Kid Rock can get ideas on how he can translate just track 14 (Black Chick White Guy/I Am The Bullgod)alone into a play.
on October 14, 1999
Please, for the love of humanity, Billy, start touring again!! Look what I got stuck with in your absence! Just LOOK at this, LOOK AT THIS MONSTROSITY, and SHUDDER!!!
I have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER how you people can listen to garbage like this! Kid Rock is a disgrace to the music world! His badly written, poorly-coordinated, tuneless songs are nothing but a list of profanities, held loosely together by a backdrop of sex, sexism, rape, murder, and drugs!
Where has music gone? Whatever happened to songs that DIDN'T feature the "F" word every two seconds? Whatever happened to songs with a point, with value? Whatever happened to lyrics? For goodness sake, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO MELODIES?!?
And DON'T any of you teenagers think that I'm some old fogie wishin' for the old days, 'cuz I'm NOT! I am proud to be fourteen years old and still infused with the BASIC HUMAN VALUES that this music rips to shreds. I mean, one APPROPRIATELY-PLACED swear word here and there, along with a nice tune, yeah, that works fine! All of the great rock and roll artists of the past (The Beatles, the Indigo Girls, Bruce Springsteen, etc.) sometimes use an expletive to make their music more powerful. But an "F-this" or "F-that" EVERY OTHER WORD? Now come on, those of you who think that's appropriate for ANY SANE HUMAN BEING to be listening to, please raise your tentacles!
And those critics are WONDERING why America's youth is going down the toilet!!! Two words, people: Kid Rock. Synonymous with "Bad Music." Or rather, not music at all. You CAN'T call this music. Music, my friends, is WORTH listening to.
Don't buy this CD, folks, if you value your life. If you value ANYTHING.
PS... KoRn, Limp Bizkit, and all of you sexist rappers out there, this goes for you too!!!!!!
on September 29, 2000
I had almost completely given up on popular music (and especially MTV) by early 1999. Then I saw Kid Rock performing in front of the MTV studios early one morning. I was amazed at his versatility. The music rocked (which is something I hadn't seen on MTV since "Headbangers Ball" was canceled,) and he could play every instrument: drums, guitar, turntables, keyboards. I was so impressed, I went out and bought "Devil Without a Cause" the next day. I wasn't disappointed.
Just about every single track on this CD is worth listening to. "Bawitdaba," "Cowboy," "Devil Without a Cause, "I Am The Bullgod," "Rovin' Gangster, "Somebody's Gotta Feel This," "F**k Off," and "Where U at, Rock" all hit hard. "Wasting Time" is my personal favorite, a laid-back Southern-Rock flavored groove. "Only God Knows Why" is a wonderful power-ballad, and "Black Chick, White Guy" actually shows surprising lyrical depth. The original version of "I Am The Bullgod" hidden at the end of "Black Chick, White Guy" is an enjoyable bonus. "Welcome 2 the Party" is passable, and "I Got One For Ya," is downright stupid, but I suppose no one can be perfect.
This CD is well worth your $15. It saved rock music for me, and it might work for you, too.
on May 26, 2001
...and I own over a thousand CDs. :) I saw Kid Rock kick major ... on the MTV Music Awards Show almost 2 years ago, around the time I started hearing his surprisingly sensitive power ballad "Only God Knows Why." I was very impressed. After hearing "Only God Knows Why" a few more times, I just had to get this CD, which I bought exactly 1 year ago.
This is one of those rare CDs where I played the entire thing all the way, from beginning to end, and didn't tire of it at any point. In fact, this is still the only CD that I've played all the way through TWICE the first night after purchasing it. Not only that, but I very rarely play this CD without playing everything on it. It's that great!! :)
This is a perfect CD, hands down. The first time, I played it, I was expecting to hear at least a few weak songs in the bunch (which is usually inevitable of most CDs). Not this CD. Every single track on DEVIL WITHOUT A CAUSE is incredibly listenable and full of fire. The very first time I plaued it, I was totally blown away with how heavy and strong "Bawitdaba" is. With how cool (and funny) "Cowboy" is. With how great everything else is on this CD.
Put it to you this way-- I have never been a fan of rap music (with the usual crossover 'exceptions' of the Run-DMC version of "Walk This Way" and Tone-Loc's "Funky Cold Medina" and, oh yeah, some of Will Smith's stuff). In fact, I have only recently begun to get into some of the rap/metal hybrid artists that have come out in the past couple of years. This is the first (and, so far the only) CD of this type I have bought. But to simply call this CD "rap/metal" does a great disservice to it, I think. This CD is so wonderful that it is more than the sum of its parts. This CD tells us an autobiographical story of a man who, while young, has lived hard for the past ten years. Nowhere is this more evident than in the plaintive "Only God Knows Why" and in the CD's final track, "Black Chick, White Guy" which is the story of how Robert Ritchie came to raise his son alone. He does it all here: he rocks harder than most metal bands on "Bawitdaba" and "Fist of Rage" (on which he shows his anger, uncompromisingly), he parties heartily (and shows his lighthearted side) on "Welcome 2 the Party," he sings (quite well, actually) on "Only God Knows Why," and overall, gives us all an inner peek into his decadent world.
This isn't merely a 'white boy's rap' CD-- in fact, it isn't anything that can (or even should) be easily categorized. No-- this is Kid Rock, in all his raw, honest glory. He is a true original, and shows that here in this CD.
Robert, I hope you keep putting out even more great stuff like this (and yes, I do intend to buy your latest, HISTORY OF ROCK, soon!). Too bad lil' ol' Joe C. is no longer with us, but at least you can keep doing him proud with each new release you give us.
Bottom line: If you're sorta thinking of buying this CD, but are the type that cringes at the hearing of four-letter words, then this may not be your type of music. But if you're like me, and don't mind hearing loads of "swear words" (hey, this is a REALLY HONEST CD, so what do you expect?)-- well, then what the @#$% are you waiting for?? It is, quite simply, one of the greatest CDs put out in the past 10 years. BUY IT!!!!
on July 19, 2000
Kid Rock Rules! I say that in all honesty. I'm really not into the new trend in rap and rock, but for some reason I think Kid Rock's amazing. I think it's really cool that he's been around this long. He's also an amazing musician which he really doesn't get credit for. Devil Without A Cause is a true masterpiece. Kid Rock blends many styles on this album such as metal, rap, and country. He's very public about his influences but Kid Rock's sound is all his own.
The album starts with the song that launched him into superstardom, Bawitdaba. The next song is also another one of his huge hits Cowboy. That song is totally different than Bawitdaba. It has kind of a country vibe to it with some honky tonk piano in the middle. The title track is one of the best songs on the whole album. It features a rap by Kid Rock's vertically challenged sidekick Joe C. I am the Bullgod was the first single from Devil w/o a Cause. Roving Gangster is a dtraight forward rap rocker. In my opinion the only person who could pull this off is Kid. The next song Wasting Time is kind of a mellow song with Kid Rock rapping and a pretty cool chorus. Welcome 2 the Party is without a doubt the best song on the album. It's totally old school rap in the style of Run DMC. It's an amazing song. I Got One for Ya is another mellow type rap songs. Somebody's Gotta Feel This is a straight forward metal song. Which features Kid Rock rapping (as usual)The big radio hit and mellow ballad type song, Only God Knows Why is one of the strong points on the album. There is also a duet (if you will) with another white rapper from Detroit, Eminem. While I'm not a fan of Em he sounds good rapping on quite possibly the heaviest song on the album F**k Off. The last two songs on Devil w/o A Cause are totally different form each other. Where U at Rock is a heavy rap song in the style of F**k Off. This is also one of the best songs on the album. The closing track Black Chick, White Guy is a song about an interracial couple. It is also said to be autobiographical but I don't know for sure. Either way this is an amazing album. I think everyone should own it. Weather you're into rap rock or not.