countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty home Kindle sports Tools

Format: DVD|Change

In 1998, "Armageddon" was the second highest grossing movie that year (to date: $201 million), just behind "Saving Private Ryan" (to date: $216 million). It has since grossed $554 million worldwide.
The original Touchstone DVD release was non-anamorphic. The Criterion release was slightly improved, but still the video was non-anamorphic. This long awaited blu ray release is worth the wait, and represents the definitive version of this movie.
Video: This 1080p AVC MPEG-4 transfer (aspect ratio 2.35:1) looked fantastic, considering the age of this movie. The blacks are inky black with lots of details. The picture was full of vibrant colour. The special effects, although dated, still looked awesome. (4.5/5)
Audio: The DTS MA 5.1 mix is much improved from the previous lossy Dolby Digital mix. The result was simply awesome. One could close one's eyes, and just hear discrete sound from individual speakers. The bass also rocked the entire house. To hear Aerosmith singing their #1 hit "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" was very satisfying. (4.5/5)
"Armageddon" is a fun fun adrenaline-filled pop-corn film experience with stunning imagery. This blu ray video is totally superior to all previous "Armageddon" home video releases, which featured non-anamorphic video. They looked so bad today that I do not even feel like a double dip. If you like explosions, space shuttles, with a love story, this is the movie for you.
One minor point: When the Russian astronaut banged on the computer in the Space Shuttle to restart the engine, he noticed that the parts were "Made in Taiwan". And when I looked at the 3D glasses that I sneaked out from IMAX a few weeks ago, guess what, they were also "made in Taiwan". Some things simply don't change.
This blu ray disc is highly recommended.
on June 26, 2017
Perfect Thank You.
on June 21, 2017
No problems
on August 2, 2017
Great movie!
on March 2, 2017
It is just palying on computer not DVD player
on January 30, 2004
Although, I do remember someone lending me this DVD ages ago, and it had a gag-reel on it. Mine doesn't :( Poor me. Anyway, watching this film on DVD was terrific, having only previously watched it on video (which no one wants to buy!!!) This movie has some of the cutest guys in it - Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Michael Clarke Duncan and Billy Bob Thornton?! My eyes must deceive me, as he always looks virtually unrecognisable in films, to what he looks like normally - unkempt, sleazy looking, and a craggy looking old man. (Is it just me?) And yes, I do have a thing for older men! This movie shot Liv Tyler and Ben Affleck to A-list stardom, and gave them Lord Of The Rings and Jennifer Lopez respectively.
I was quite surprised to see a couple of scenes that I hadn't seen before on the video. During the segment where the "astronauts" get the night off, you see Oscar praying, and Harry visiting his Dad. I literally did a double take when I saw these, especially since I've watched the movie many times. There was also another scene, but I forget what it was, or where it was now.
I own the 2-disc edition (which I can't find for the life of me on Amazon), so there's a lot more extras than listed here. Most of them are pretty tedious though, and I'm still fizzing about the gag-reel. It's so funny! I'll maybe watch the commentaries sometime, as there's two on this - the one with the NASA experts will be terrific on a night when I can't sleep. But the other one has Ben Affleck and Bruce Willis, which should be interesting. The extras are tedious, as they go through the special effects used for various scenes in the movie, and you've got some glorified assistant, who really had nothing to do with the movie, going into lengthy detail about the smallest thing. And use lots of fancy jargon, which definitely stupid people (like moi) can't understand. And never will understand. The DVD should have a warning sticker on it - "Do Not Watch Extras If Stupid".
You also get the music video to "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" (one of the best love songs), and I'd seen this video many times, so I wasn't expecting there to be an introduction to the video by the members of Aerosmith! Cool.
Name one girl who hasn't cried at this movie. I am definitely not in that category. I originally saw this movie in the cinema, and had to go cry away to myself in the toilets afterwards (highly embarrassing). And then when I got it on video, I couldn't stop crying!!! People may say it's only a film, but it's so sad!!! Thankfully, I didn't cry at the first watching of this DVD. I did get a little teary, but not full-on crying. Oh guys crying get me going!! Anyone crying gets me going, who am I kidding!
A terrific film, definitely a good one to watch for the guys or the special effects. Or Liv Tyler if you're that way inclined, but any girl will feel the green eyed monster rear its ugly head.
Now, about that gag-reel ...
on April 14, 2004
This review is for the Criterion Collection DVD edition of the film.
This is the largest packed special features release by criterion to date at the time of release. Being the case, both the film and the special features will be reviewed.
The film is about Earth being threatened by an asteroid that would cause the end of every life on Earth. There are some opening scenes of a metoer shower over New York City.
Chapter 3 on the DVD is one that some may want to skip. There are two scenes that may hit too close to home for some people. In one scene, a meteor is shown hitting the World Trade Center, and in another scene shows the World Trade Center with the top ¼ of one of the towers destroyed and the rest of it on fire.
The film has good acting with an all-star cast. The movie has some excellent special effects. The film has many errors though. there are too many to mention in less than 1,000 words.
The Criterion edition is a director's cut with scenes not shown in theaters.
The special features are really good. There are 2 discs in this set one of which only has special features. Disc 1 has TWO aduio commentaries. One is with director Michael Bay, actors Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck, and producer Jerry Bruckheimer. The other is with cinematographer John Schwartzman and two scientific consultants. one from Nasa and the other an asteroid expert.
On disc two, there are deleted scenes, outtakes and blooper reel, (You may want to note that the blooper reel contains profanity rarely heard even in some R rated films and will offend some people.), Storyboard images, analysis of Visual effects and production design, Trailers and TV spots, and the music video of the song "Don't want to miss a thing" by Diane Warren and performed by Aerosmith.
Overall this is high quality and is one of the more well-known films that have been given the Criterion treatment.
on June 11, 2000
I'm so glad that a Criterion edition of "ARMAGEDDON" was released. The story of a huge asteroid about to collide with Earth and a group of oil drillers to prevent that from happening + Bruce Willis, what more can you ask for right?
Well, all I can say is that if you do have one choice for this movie, the Criterion Collection is the way to go.
Yes, both movies have outstanding video and the digital 5.1 is used a lot in this movie. But that's where the comparisons end because the regular version of the DVD has no extras. The Criterion Collection version is loaded with extras. I mean fully loaded and each segment in the special features are quite long. One of my favorites happens to be the gag reel.
Also, the movie contains trailers. Oh, no...not the typical 1-3 trailers that regular DVD's tend to have, this one has many trailers. I'm not sure how many trailers I counted for the 20-second or 10-second segment. This DVD is loaded with them.
Then another cool thing about the DVD extras are how certain special effects were made.
So, yes, the Criterion Collection cost about $10 more but it is probably one of the best Criterion edition DVD's out there. This version of Armageddon is highly recommended!
on January 23, 2001
Off the bat, this isn't a movie that's going to challenge you intellectually. However, it is a lot of fun, and features breathtaking special effects. The acting is solid; none of actors take the movie more seriously than they should, and as a result, give performances perfect for this kind of summer blockbuster. Are they over the top? Absolutely, but it only adds to the fun of the film! It's like watching "The Dirty Dozen" in outerspace.
The Criterion edition of the film on DVD does offer a lot of nice features. In particular, the directors cut of the film offers some much needed heart. However, it's awfully pricey, and if I hadn't received it as a gift, I doubt I would own it today. Still, for a big fan of the movie, or a serious DVD collector, it's probably a good buy.
on June 22, 2017
sales and evaluation has been very good I is as good as description. I do not watch a lot of satisfaction, but a few days ago a friend recommended I think Amazon's products, I feel very buy used rods in other sites. awesome invention Received quickly great price good quality such a big help