Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

Hurting
Format: Audio CD|Change

on April 18, 2016
Great release on vinyl. It's also my favorite Tears for fears album. As good as the original LP release.
on August 18, 2015
My vinyl album was too worn to listen to. Great to enjoy these songs again
on August 26, 2014
Wow
on March 14, 2014
I bought a few blu-ray audio disk and they have much better sound than CD - no question. My only complaint is that the engineers have really push the gain on the sound ... they sound too aggressive. I had to return Amy Winehouse Back to Black and a few others because of this.

... Note to engineers: don't jack the volume dudes!

S
on April 4, 2017
As described
on April 27, 2002
This is Tears For Fears debut album and what a debut. It primarily has that typical early 1980s New Wave to it except this album is far FAR above most of that ... 80s fluff and has far more poetic lyrics. The Hurting is dark and yet daytime sounding at the same time. Basically it has an apocolyptic feel lyrically as is shone on 'Start Of The Breakdown' and 'Mad World'.
The edition I'm reviewing is the remastered edition with four bonus tracks.
It's hard for me to explain the tracks in detail but I can say this CD is great and is a must have for any 80s lover like myself.
The term '... 80s fluff' I mentioned earlier does not necessarily mean I don't like 80s music. Contrarily I love 80s music. Just that I tend to enjoy some of the lesser known 80s hits.
Hurting is much lighter and less heavy than its successor 'Songs From The Big Chair' and is much more synth pop than 'The Seeds Of Love'. It seems strange that this album is from the same band who would eventually evolve from a synth-pop group into a more soul-rock sounding group with that 1989 masterpiece.
This Cd had little notice here in the US when it came out in 1983 but it did well in England. Tears For Fears would have two year to go before setting the charts on fire in 1984 with 'Shout' and again in 1985 with EWTRTW(The name is so long I sometimes don't feeling like typing out the whole name).
Unlike the bonus tracks in The Big Chair and Seeds Of Love the bonuc tracks while good kind of dissapointed me a smidgey bit. The World Remix of Mad World is dead identical to the original version except with a more echoing beat. This version is still good.
The other three are good to excellent. The Way You Are on here is extended to almost 8 minutes long. I love the extended versions of Pale Shelter and Change. The extended verison of Mad World has a less metallic beat and the beat is more flat. The version of Change is extended to six minutes for more listening pleasure.
My favorite track besides the bonus tracks is 'Start Of The Breakdown'. This song is like the blueprint of what was to come on The Big Chair and this song could have fit well on that album.
This CD is worth having if you love Tears For Fears but I would start with The Big Chair and The Seeds Of Love. Then I would get this one. Oh what the hell get all of TFFs albums.
on October 3, 2000
'The Hurting' is Tears For Fears's first album, which first came out in the UK and went straight to the No.1 spot on the chart. When it was released in 1983, most pop music was trash and meaningless. Using their teenager experience and frustrations, Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith came up with this amazingly depressing but essential album- by dealing with our angts and pains, we are ready to face the world. The strength of this album is its raw honesty and the amazingly emotional and convincing voice of both singers. Roland and Curt share the vocals on the songs, but it's virtually impossible to tell who sings what song. The added acoustic guitars give the album a different feel from the synth/electric guitar follow up album, 'Songs From The Big Chair'. Basically, if you're tired of listening to meaningless lyrics, and don't mind outdated drum loops, then get this album. The additional extended remixes are good for fans, and the only one which stands out, 'The Way You Are', is addictive, even though Roland originally dismissed it as a 'bunch of noises' rather than a song. 'The Way You Are' was written between 'The Hurting' and 'Songs From The Big Chair', when the duo had discovered synthesisers, reverb and Fairlight programming. A must for fans or anyone who hasn't recovered from their childhood traumas.
on May 22, 2003
There are a lot of people who write reviews of this disc because they are tears for fears fans. But I'm not. 'Head Over Heels' and 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World,' are the only songs after this album that even hint at the brilliance of this record for me.
The Hurting is great not just as a time capsule of the '80s - popular psychology's new wave musical moment. Each of these songs is an innovative pop wingding that showers the ears with perfect sound and exhilarating craftsmanship. I don't have the remastered version, but it would be a shame to tamper with these songs, because each of them (I have them on vinyl and on CD) is perfect just the way it is.
More than just a nostalgia piece for those who lived through the era (I heard many of the songs for the first time in 2000), this is one of the great overlooked pop records, sure to be canonized by loquacious music critics in the very near future.
One person found this helpful
on April 5, 2016
One of the best record albums ever made. Incredible deep lyrics from such young musicians. Incredible music. I remember dancing to Pale Shelter and Mad World in the Voodoo Lounge Nightclub in Toronto in the early 1980s. Tears For Fears were extremely popular then and quite a few young men adopted their look and listened to their music everywhere. The Hurting is their best album and a real gem, not one bad song on this album. Not to be missed.
on July 23, 2001
I first heard TFF via the Mad World video with Roland doing his "can't dance to save my life" routine at the end of a pier. I always thought it was strangely in tune with the muscial style so that didn't worry me.
This album contains IMHO the best TFF singles in Mad World, Pale Shelter and Change. Although the singles from the second were undoubtedly more successful worldwide, the blend of synth and acoustic guitar on this album raises it above SFTBC.
The booklet explains that the duo used their love of a pyschotherapist called Janov to shape the lyrical tone of their songs. Nearly 20 years later, I can see this theme running through the songs, but I was 15 when this came out and was only interested in synth music (I'm not a great lyrical analyser).
This album contains a few remixes, most OK, but also throws on non-album single The Way You Are. Curt seems to think that the intricate rhythms were just trying to be clever and that's why the song didn't have the success of those previous (albeit on second asking). The drum rhythms are very clear on the re-mastered CD, it's not the rhythms that are at fault here - it's just that the song is incredibly weak compared to everything-else on this CD.