countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 9, 2016
I highly recommend this attachment.
This attachment is very well made (Made in Italy). It attaches, detaches and cleans up easily, and most importantly, it works very well. This device only makes flat pasta so if you want rigatoni or penne, you'll be disappointed. I've made fettuccine and ravioli. After you've eaten home made semolina pasta, box pasta will never measure up. Be aware that making fettuccine is not that difficult but fresh ravioli is another story...it's quite a bit of work even with this machine. Making the filling and stuffing and sealing each ravioli is laborious. However, prior to getting this device, I used to use a hand crank machine. That's just way too much work. These rollers make the job manageable. The roller makes very consistent pasta, even when you use the thin settings.
My suggestion for a good pasta recipe is :
2 cups Semolina flour
1 cup unbleached flour
3 eggs
½ teaspoon of salt
6 tablespoons of water (most recipes say 3 but that just doesn't work well.)
*Some recipes like the one that comes in the box with this attachment, recommend the use of oil. I have not tried that approach yet. It probably works fine too, you be the judge.
** Some process advice: mix the 2 flours in the Kitchen aid bowl using the paddle beater. Mix the eggs and water together with a whisk and slowly add them to the mixer while in motion on setting 2. After the big, kind if hard dough ball forms, stop and change over to the dough hook for a couple of minutes. If you make ravioli, you'll want flexible dough or you'll get cracking. If the dough cracks or if air is captured inside during the sealing process, they are garbage as they will come apart in the boiling water.
To get dough flexible enough that it doesn't crack while making the ravioli, be sure to cover the dough between the first and second rollings and not let it sit longer that 30 minutes. Here's where the oil recipes may have an advantage...also, a light coating of water will help make a good seal.
I also picked up the Villaware 10-Square Ravioli Maker from Amazon. It is a metal and plastic form that helps you make 10-2.5 inch square rav's at one time. It works well but 2.5 inch rav's are a bit small. You will also have a tough time getiing a sheet of rolled pasta out of the rollers that is wide enough to cover the form as the rollers are close to the same width as the form.
Good luck!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 22, 2015
This thing almost killed my brand new Kitchenaid Artisan mixer. Using Kitchenaid pasta recipe on speed 10 as recommended my machine went from a speed 10 and started to drop down to almost speed 1.Nothing wrong with my Artisan. It works great and is only a couple of months old so not worn out. Too bad was looking forward to using this Pasta Press but not at the risk of killing my Artisan.

I followed the usage directions to the letter. Maybe that is why you see most demos of this Pasta Press used on a stronger model Kitchenaid mixer. Sorry Kitchenaid but for me this attachment is a bust!!
on May 20, 2011
First of all I am a huge Kitchenaid fan, and I love most of their products except for this one...

I Had this item for only a few months before it broke,

- To use it properly, you need a more powerful stand mixer, the basic model will just not cut it, the engine forces itself to much. Remember it is pushing pasta dough through it, and with entry level stand mixers, the unit gets really hot.
- It is really tough to clean, you need to open up the unit and no matter what dough gets trapped inside.
- It can make a number of pastas, but for spaghetti, it is long to do (I would suggest you get the rollers for those) It is good at making the large macaroni, but besides that, it is super slow.
- With the exception of a few parts, it is entirely plastic, and what happened to mine is that the pasta dough being extruded broke the plastic.

Good luck to anyone who gets this, I hope it goes better for them
on December 27, 2011
Bought it, used it, loved it. I really don't have any problems with it. Great quality, never has problems. I would change nothing.

Also, this really does make some delicious pasta. Once you get the hang of it, it takes next to no time to make fresh pasta. I almost save time since the cooking time is decreased for fresh pasta. And, it's easy to experiment with! Just throw in some spices and each batch becomes an adventure.
on April 9, 2013
We've had our mixer for 5 years now and kept putting off buying attachments because of the price. As soon as I saw this on sale at Amazon for 40% Off (YES, 40% Off) I bought it. Now we are making our own pasta, not the store bought stuff. And we are making it fresh for each meal, not in bulk. Yummy and saving money! Very easy to use right from the get-go. Takes a little timing on cutting the pasta as it comes out but you'll get into a rhythm in no time flat. Not as easy as opening a bag of pre-made dry pasta but the extra effort is well worth it and you can make your own pasta flavours. We are also making our own sauces every meal with a blender. The two combinations of fresh pasta and fresh sauce for each meal...sigh. Well worth the money.
on October 31, 2012
These attachments are by far the best and easiest to use for making fresh made pasta. Attach to your stand mixer and no fuss no muss... and a single person can make pounds of fresh pasta in minutes. Excellent.
on July 24, 2013
This pasta press is awesome. The secret to getting the pasta to form properly is in the original consistency of the pasta dough used.
The dough must be a lot drier and firmer so to speak, and patience must be used as well. Cleaning the pasta press itself is quite easy to be honest..... no need to wash the thing at all (should not anyway according to the directions in the manual) just let the little bit of dough that sticks to its surfaces dry for a few hours and flick it off with a toothpick. Works great and the flavor of the fresh pasta over the store bought dry pasta is night and day. I LOVE this pasta maker.
on December 17, 2012
I bought the KA pasta extruder a month ago without knowing much about it and without having done any research. I had not seen it on offer at the TSC previously and had 2 months to return it so I thought I would take a chance on it. I had bought the Pasta Roller/Fettucine Maker pasta attachment with my original purchase and while I really liked that, I wanted to be able to make other kinds of pasta and not just fettucine.

I am so excited with this purchase. I have now made pasta twice and quite successfully. I am still learning having been completely self-taught from the internet - isn't the internet wonderful! I don't use eggs and so have only made eggless pasta only. The first time my pasta dough was a little too moist for the extruder. By normal standards it was not moist at all but the extruder needs a really dry dough. So, the bucatini and macaroni that I made the first time were good didn't hold their shapes that well. Yesterday however, I made rigatoni and used a firmer dough: dough that barely came together and this time the rigatoni turned out perfect! I am loving this machine. People have complained about it being difficult to clean but yesterday, as a result of my very stiff dough, the extruder plates came apart in three pieces which I hadn't realised that they could and as a result, clean-up was a breeze.

I think if you make egg-based fresh pasta you will need to ensure that the dough is fairly dry - you may have a trial and error period. I have read that the recipes for egg pasta that come with the machine are not that good for the extruder.

I have not been able to dismantle the wire-cutter from the unit - it came all assembled. According to the instructions I should be able to but I can't seem to figure out how. As it is easy to clean even when assembled, this I can live with.

Another point to note is that when the unit arrives, the plates are stored in a plastic case fitted to the unit. It was by accident I was able to get them apart. It was very tough to separate them. You have to press the middle of the transparent case to release the case. There are no instructions for this.

Anyway, apart from the above my experience so far has been great.

I bought the KA Professional series in the summer this year and I am really thrilled with the machine overall. I bought the mincer attachment, shredder and juicer attachments as well and I am very pleased with all of them. I also bought the smaller bowl that fits into this unit with the special all-around whisk/beater and am loving that too.

All in all, a great purchase.

FYI, most extruded pasta is made with semolina flour, water and salt only. My recipe is 2 cups of semolina flour, between 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of water and salt. I add one tbs of olive oil. Be careful with the water as pasta dough needs to be silky and dry and for the extruder even drier.
on October 11, 2012
I just purchased my pasta extruder and absolutely love it! The dough recipe needs much more water than indicated, but I have many more recipies to draw from. I used the large macaroni extruder and made the best macaroni ever! I did not have a hard time cleaning anything. I just let the extra pasta dry and it popped out. I also have a professional model so my mixer only got slightly warm. Each noodle was perfect and tasted wonderful! Thank you so much KitchenAid. No more purchased pasta for this girl!!
on July 29, 2016
Merveilleux outil......comme tous les produits de cuisine KitchenAid.....on ne se trompe pas! J'ai fait une lasagne (pâtes fraîches) et le résultat.....fantastique. Je recommencerai c'est certain! A conseiller sans aucun doute!