countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: DVD|Change
Price:$49.48+ $3.49 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on December 15, 2003
Simply put, this is my favorite movie of all time, and I am sad to say I have to agree with others that the digital transfer to DVD of this film is horrible, let the buyer beware. I have the 40th Anniversary VHS and with all of the limitation of that medium, they started with a far better print of the film and it is actually still far more presentable than the current DVD. I am being vocal on this both to warn fans and potential fans of the film of the lackluster transfer, and to let the powers that be know that this is one beloved film and that I would happily purchase it again when a digitally enhanced high quality transfer struck from the original negative is available.
on February 14, 2003
John Ford's "The Quiet Man" is a John Wayne film of a different feather. There are no stampedes, cowboy hats, stagecoaches, six-shooters, or marauding Indians in this film. Nope, instead what we get are idyllic scenery, good-natured match-making, bare-knuckle fistfights, and whimsical townsfolk. This is a film that downplays Wayne's masculine persona by infusing it with a touch of sensitivity and grace. It is also director Ford's love letter to Ireland and the care he approached this film with is apparent in every frame. "The Quiet Man" follows Sean Thornton (Wayne) as he returns to his ancestral homeland to heal after accidentally killing a man during a boxing match. He is reunited one by one with people who knew his father and grandfather and is eagerly embraced by the community. Thornton's eye quickly becomes fixated on redhead Mary Kate Danaher (Maureen O'Hara) and thoughts of marriage enter his mind. However, there's a hurdle in her brother, Squire "Red" Will (Victor McLaglen) who is unwilling to give the couple his blessing. What follows is a serious of charming set-pieces as Thornton and the townspeople do everything they can to help manipulate matters in Thornton's favor. Eventually everything works out but not before the inevitable physical showdown between Thornton and Will which settles everything once and for all. The glorious Technicolor in which the film is shot captures the lush beauty of the Irish countryside to the point where it seems it might overshadow the characters. Yet, Wayne and O'Hara bring such strong characters to life that they manage to elevate themselves above their surroundings. Everyone knows Wayne is money in the bank in the acting department but O'Hara's performance is equally dazzling. Her Mary Kate is every bit the equal of Wayne's Thornton in passion, strength, and hard-headedness that it's a joy to watch Wayne spar against her throughout the film. Like I mentioned before, "The Quiet Man" has a lot in it that you'd probably never expected to see in a John Wayne film, but that shouldn't discourage you in seeking it out. In fact, you should see it just to marvel at how well John Wayne performs in a non-tough-as-nails role.
on November 11, 2002
Maureen O'Hara is my favorite actress. I own the 40th anniversary VHS edition of The Quiet Man. When I saw that 2002 'Collector's Edition', I was ecstatic and bought it right away. I had rented the first DVD edition and it was pretty bad. But I am even more disappointed with this 'Collector's Edition'.
First of all: This is supposed to have been digitally remastered, but the picture is just a little bit better than the VHS copy, so what gives?
Second: it's supposed to be the 'Original Theatrical Version', but where is the original theatrical ratio (a.k.a. Widescreen)?
Third: The Quiet Man is a classic John Ford movie and should have been treated as such. Too bad.
This DVD editon isn't all bad, though. The extras are a definite plus:
1. The making of the Quiet Man, by Leonard Maltin, as on the VHS copy, is good.
2. Remembering the Quiet Man Montage is OK. I would have preferred traditional Irish music.
3. The Joy of Ireland is a 30 minute documentary with Maureen O'Hara; it's an excellent look back with reminiscences and footage of and from the movie.
4. An excellent audio commentary with Maureen O'Hara.
That's why this DVD version gets only 3 stars, but The Quiet Man is still my favorite Maureen O'Hara/John Wayne movie.
I'm looking forward to see a definitive version, (a Criterion Collector's Edition?), with all the extras present here and sound and picture quality to boot.
on January 2, 2003
This is one of my all-time favorite movies, so I was pleased when Artisan released this DVD -- I had the old version, which wouldn't play in our newer DVD player. I'm glad to have a working version, but overall I'm disappointed in this release. The color is punched up almost to the point of being artificial. We don't have a home theater sound system, so we can't tell the difference between the regular and "enhanced" audio. Worst of all, though: WHY ISN'T THIS LETTERBOXED?!! With the exception of Maureen O'Hara's commentary (very nice), the extras on this so-called Collector's Edition are no different than those on the previous release. I'll keep this DVD until someone comes out with an edition truly worthy of this wonderful movie.
on June 13, 2003
This movie was one of John Ford's most personal, and he struggled to find the funding to do it since the studios saw this as "just another love story". "The Quiet Man" is a fantastic love story, with wonderful scenes (the famous "windy kiss"), classic lines, and snappy humor.
Be warned, however, that even in the "Collector's Edition" DVD, the picture quality is terrible, especially if compared with the restored "Singin' in the Rain", which was released the same year. It is grainy and sometimes blurry, and the color vacillates in intensity. Compared with other Special or Collector's Edition DVDs of classic movies, this one was truly a disappointment.
on December 21, 2004
The Quiet Man has always been my favourite movie. The DVD transfer is the worst I've ever seen. My VHS version is of better quality. My suggestion ...E-mail Artisan and express your dismay....I did .
on November 6, 2002
I agree whole heartedly that the print used in this new collector's edition is [not good] The sound is acceptable, but where is the quality picture? Why do companies continue to place unacceptable versions on DVD? ... I have a VHS copy from AMC or TCM that has a much better picture. GET THIS MOVIE RIGHT, PLEASE!!!
It's a great classic and should be treated as such. I will purchase this again if this is done.
on October 30, 2002
Every1 knows the story by now & it's one of my all-time favorite films. They say it's in its original 'theatrical release version' but that should mean widescreen or letterbox for you old-timers. I WILL NOT BUY THIS FILM AGAIN UNTIL IT'S RELEASED AS A WIDESCREEN EDITION!! The sweeping landscapes demand this and so do I. Stay away from this title until they FINALLY do it right once & for all!!
on November 9, 2002
As with the last release, this looks like a 10th generation bootleg copy! The studio should be embarrassed about the horrible picture quality. As far as people demanding widescreen, this movie wasn't filmed in widescreen to begin with, so get over it. This movie was made in 1952 & virtually all movies up to 1953 were *not* widescreen.
on April 24, 2003
It uses every Irish cliche...wonderfully. I can re-watch this over and over again. What a lovely movie.