Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

Gentleman's Agreement
Format: DVD|Change

on June 15, 2018
super good movie I highly recommend for people who still appreciate really fine acting.no special effects folks
on September 13, 2017
Quite good and very relevant even today.
on January 14, 2017
Excellent movie and good service!
on September 21, 2016
Excellent.
on July 9, 2015
Today's world needs more of these historical stories to jog what has become our complacent memory. Again, Peck's performance is stellar.
on November 5, 2014
The Fox DVD of Gentleman's Agreement, which at the time of this review is on at a bargain price, is a good package -- the 1947 Oscar Winner for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actress, with a commentary and other special features. It is a shame that this edition is cursed with poor sound.

The dialogue of the characters is often so softly spoken that one misses important things unless one is constantly turning up the volume. Normally I set my volume at about 8; for this film I had to crank it up to about 27 most of the time. I don't think this is just my copy. I have the impression that the problem lies in the print of the film from which the DVD was derived. But I would welcome comments from others with the Fox DVD -- is their sound also so weak?

This problem hampers the enjoyment of the film, because some of the most important dialogue, delivered by Dorothy McGuire, cannot be easily heard, and one has to rewind and replay crucial bits at higher volume.

The commentary by Richard Schickel is the usual for him -- mediocre. He never sounds at all like a film expert, but simply like your next-door neighbour giving his opinion of the film, and he never seems to have rehearsed his commentary, but instead rambles. He also rarely supplies the tiny bits of factual data which make film commentaries so useful. You don't learn from him very often who that character actor playing the bit part is, for example. Still, on this particular commentary, he is more incisive than usual, amidst the rambling, and some of his criticism of the film is just. He should get a 7 out of 10 for his efforts. His words are supplemented by short comments by two of the film's stars, June Havoc and Celeste Holm, but their comments are unfortunately mostly rather general and unfocused.

There are a few still photos provided -- not particularly good ones -- but I can only see them on my computer. Fox DVDs have this bizarre insistence that you have to use the double arrow key on your DVD remote, rather than just normal right arrow key, and my double arrow key will not function on these DVDS. So to watch the stills I have to take the DVD out of the player and put it into my computer, where the mouse enables me to click from still to still. This could be a manufacturing defect in my DVD remote, I suppose, but I was wondering if anyone other than myself has experienced this with the stills on Fox DVDs.

Because of the poor sound and the mediocre commentary, this DVD ranks only about a 3.5 out of 5. With decent sound it would rank a 4. The movie itself is clearly a 4 out of 5, well-deserving of its awards. Peck's performance is good -- one of his best -- and even McGuire' performance, so often criticized, is good. The supporting players are all good as well.
One person found this helpful
on August 24, 2014
Love this movie since the first time I saw it. The only thing I'm sad about is that even in its blu ray form it's not a 16:8 (something like that) but rather a 9:5(something like that). But other than that great buy
on August 26, 2014
More serious and staged than I would have hoped...
on April 12, 2013
The story was a bit predictable but so well done. It wasn't a nail biter but kept one interested without gunfire, sex, nudity or violence of any kind but still really makes one realize that racial prejudice is alive and well even today. Even though his name was what marked him a " minority " I am a visible 75 year old minority and still encounter prejudice regularly and always by white people who seem to think it is their right to " inquire " !!! Think about it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon January 2, 2016
I'm a big fan of Gregory Peck and as usual, he did a good job in this film.

Unfortunately, the story itself seems dated watching it now, with rather "cheesy" dialogue especially in the scenes with Gregory Peck and Dorothy McGuire. I did enjoy Celeste Holms though, she played her part beautifully and believably.

The sound was poor on this film, went from soft to very loud several times, picture quality was excellent.

***SPOILER: I thought the ending was surprising and in a bad way.

What Celeste's character says previously about the "Cathy's" of the world was true. Why would Greg Peck go running back to a woman who had shown her lack of real backbone re: prejudice, again and again. The token gesture to make things "right" that she made at the end of the film seemed so shallow and almost worthless. Forgive her perhaps, but want to marry her? I think not.
Gregory should have been running back to Celeste!!! That was a woman of passion and conviction and much more in line with the kind of person he was. That did not ring true at all for me, given the nature of the overall story and Gregory Peck's character.

I'm surprised this won several Academy Awards but I guess at the time, it was considered a ground-breaking film. Celeste Holms did deserve her Oscar though, she was wonderful!
One person found this helpful