Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on January 19, 2015
"How Green Was my Valley" was a great read. The movie that John Ford made from it surpassed the book in many ways, and slipped up once or twice. But John Ford was simply not capable of making an 'average' film, let alone a bad one. The casting is perfect. On paper Pidgeon and O'Hara may have seemed to be a mismatch, but they work because of the relationship of the characters. To support them Ford has selected few of his group of supporting actors, and selected a cast of superb actors who become the characters they play.

The plot may contain a few cliches by today's standards, but I doubt they were cliches in the 1940's. The miracle is that we can connect with so many of them in 2015, their joys, sorrows, disappointments, and coping with life in less than ideal circumstances.

The photography is still magnificently perfect. The sound is better than when I first saw the film in a revival theatre when the picture was perfect but the sound dated. Technically, there are few elements, other than colour, different from the best of today's films. The best advantage is that everyone here gives totally of themselves, knowing they are making a film for the ages.
on January 29, 2015
I remember watching this as a young kid and loving it, but also remember how bad the sound and picture quality was. Now it's all cleaned up and has never been better. The sound and picture are truly awesome.
This is a film not remembered by many even though it won the Academy Award for Best Picture of 1941. It's a fantastic story set in Wales in a mining village at the turn of the century. Great little story, with fine performances by everyone including Maureen O'Hara, Walter Pidgeon, a young Roddy McDowall, and Donald Crisp who won the supporting actor award. Both tragic and light hearted, it's always a pleasure to watch, and now even more so.
on January 14, 2018
A true wonderful movie, one of the best performed by some of the best. Maureen O'Hare one of my favourites, loved her I "The Quiet Man" with John Wayne. You can't go wrong with these two movies.
on December 26, 2012
This movie was made before I was born, but I read the book for the first time when I was about 10 years old. It was a gift from my grandmother that I reread several times, before finally catching up to the film at a rep theater in the early 1960's. For reasons that many of you will recognize, I have never forgotten either of them. Both book and movie have left an indelible mark on my heart, on my mind and on my soul. I hope that as many of you as possible take the opportunity to share this beautiful experience with me, and with the people you love.
One person found this helpful
on June 1, 2018
I have always heard what a great movie this was, way back in the '40's. Finally got to see it...Great DVD.
on May 21, 2016
It would have been very beneficial that in the description of the movie that it should have said that it was in the PAL format.. the only way to find that out was to go onto the picture and zoom in on the back cover of the movie.. we were VERY DISAPPOINTED to receive the movie and not be able to watch it..
on February 18, 2018
Wonderful movie about life in a Welsh mining town the the late 1800's and early 1900's. It won 5 Oscars in 1942. I enjoyed it very much.
on October 25, 2017
just don't make movies like it anymore. now its all foul both language and scenes
on March 8, 2017
a+++
on July 16, 2013
Sorry for taking so so long to respond.
Item was well received, still did not watch DVD... but I think everything is just fine.
I would surely shop again... Service was great.
Thanks