countdown Learn more scflyout home All-New Kindle boutiques-francophones sports Tools

on November 5, 2002
The creators of the movie for Scooby Doo did a brilliant job of bringing Scooby Doo to life for the big screen. They did an even amazing job turning Scooby Doo into a computerized live action version to where Scooby is extremely realistic. As for the cast, I heard the rumors that everyone was basically disappointed. I wasn't I thought they picked the cast perfectly for the part. Sarah Michelle Gellar (Trying to forget about her Buffy character) did a great job playing the new aged Daphne, Matthew Lillard was the best part of the casting job as Shaggy!!! Linda Cardelini was beautifully transformed into the part of Velma, and as much as I love him Freddie Prince Jr. did an "okay" job of Fred. Not to mention one of my favorite actors and comedians Rowan Atkinson does a fabulous job in the film. Also for the Scrappy Doo lovers, you might be suprised, but definately not disappointed. The movie is upgraded to be in "the now." And the background and sets are truly amazing and like a animated cartoon version for a live action movie. There is quite a bit of adult humor, but still makes if fun for young kids. I would think the film is great for ages 13 and up. But I think kids and adults will enjoy this movie from the cartoon and lovers of Scooby Doo. It does get silly in a bit parts and slow, so in that retrospect it might be dull to some. But the plot and the charaterizations performed by the cast did a brilliant job.
As for the DVD I would give that an A. I loved all the extra's on the DVD. From the never seen before footage, behind the scene's documentary, an interactive triva game, Commentary from the cast and filmakers and much much more. I also loved navigating the DVD with the 3D-ish style of a cartoon and with Scooby running back and forth.
All in All the movie would be about a C + - B +
And the DVD Itself: A
on January 2, 2003
For SCOOBY DOO purists, and I'd hate to think that such a creature exists or, worse, that I'm one of them, this nightmare of a film contained little humor, little joy, little intrigue and little mystery. This was just out-and-out awful.
Matthew Lillard's voice sounded a lot like Casey Kasem's take on Shaggy from the TV series. Oh, and the ending made a villain out of a character everyone hated anyway. There, those are my only compliments.
Scooby's annoying. Velma's nothing like herself. The ghosts are real ... and the ghosts and plot are too scary for kids. Fred is more of a one-dimensional figure now than he was when he was a cartoon. Daphne's characterization, not that they had much to build from since these aren't really "characters" in the sense that they ever had history or personality, is almost insulting, for they turn her into a really dim damsel-in-distress archetype. (Sarah Michelle Gellar deserves much, much better - and routinely gets better material when she's on BUFFY.)
It's not funny. The soundtrack's even annoying. It's not good for kids. It doesn't look good for a movie. And it doesn't make sense. It, in fact, makes less sense than even the most far-fetched of mysteries on the old TV show.
This is awful, awful, awful. Avoid it.
on April 19, 2004
I am so tired of seeing the horrible reviews this movie recieved. I am 20, so no, I didn't grow up in the 60's and 70's watching this show. However, I DID grow up in the 80's and 90's watching this show, so maybe I just have a different take. Okay, so Freddy Prinze, Jr. was not the most perfect choice for Fred. A lot of reviews resent his representation as an attention starved and fame hogging character, but I have to say that while the movie took it to the extreme, it by no means pulled it out of thin air. And Daphne was always getting captured and lost in the spooky old dungeons and mansions, and it was normally Velma or (Duh duh duh!) good ol' Freddy to the rescue. And the romantic connection everyone is claiming came from nowhere at the end of the movie? Were ya'll even watching?!? While Gellar and Prinze may only have been chosen for their star power and not for their excellent casting as the characters, they DO portray the relationship that we all know existed between Daphne and Fred rather well. And NO ONE can tell me Velma and Shaggy weren't brilliantly casted!
The plot, while not in the "Scooby Doo, Where are you?" fashion, is more along the lines of "The Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Doo" minus Vincent Price. The monsters are real, not masked men. And for all the Christians bashing the movie for that reason, be forewarned, if you deny the existence of evil in the world, regardless of your religion, then you open yourself to it. Being unaware doesn't exclude. Besides, this was a FUN, FAMILY ORIENTED movie, remember. The occult elements were in Scooby Doo fashion, discovering new legends associated with the area in which they are investigating the mystery.
In essence, if you enjoy this movie for what it was intended to be, which was a fresh representation of fantastic characters, which remains true to the ideas implied in the series, as well as a fun film, then you'll get the point. If not, then "Zoinks" you take things way too seriously.
on December 12, 2003
Ok, I wanna start saying I'm a HUGE Scooby Doo fan, I simply love all the movies and cartoons avaiable, they are really funny and interesting. With that thought, I have all the reasons to tell you the truth about this horrible cash-in movie: IF YOU REALLY ARE A SCOOBY DOO FAN AND REALLY LIKE YOUR CHILDRENS, DO EVERYTHING THAT'S POSSIBLE TO STAY AWAY FROM THIS MOVIE!!! IT'S A DISGRACE, IT SIMPLY RUINS WITH SCOOBY DOO'S GOOD NAME! Freddie seems like Johnny Bravo, Daphne is a frightened young child who wants to prove something for people, Velma are a dumb, and one scene, Scooby (the first character that are 99% good) and Shaggy (the second character that are 99% good) are competing who farts harder. Worst: there are not a single funny joke in the whole movie (except the end, that reminds me "Scooby Doo on Zombie Island"), the story is a disgrace, far from the interesting misteries Scooby and the guys always solved on the cartoons. And to disgrace even more: Scrappy Doo are the main bad guy!!! WHAT'S THIS?? IT ONLY CAN BE A VERY BAD JOKE! THAT'S NOT THE SCOOBY DOO'S REALITY, IT'S ALL WRONG!!! IF SCOOBY DO HAVE STARTED LIKE COMIC BOOK, IT WOULD BE CONSIDERED PROFANATION FOR THEIR FANS!! IF MY GRADE ARE RIGHT? NO! IT'S -5 STARS, OR WEAKER. Geez, how can awful things being so difficult to forget! That's what I want, to forget this junk forever. Now they are trying to disgrace the Scooby Doo's name a second time, so I wanna give my previous advice for people: DON'T GO TO THE MOVIES TO WATCH SCOOBY DOO 2, FORGET ABOUT, IF YOU RESPECT THE SCOOBY'S LEGACY! WAIT WHEN, REAL ARTISTS, WHO CARES ABOUT THE RIGHT THINGS, GET A GOOD STORY AND MAKE A DECENT SCOOBY DOO MOVIE, NOT THIS TRASH. At least, this movie is useful for just three things:
1) To illustrate perfectly what NOT to do in a future Scooby Doo adaptation;
2) To show how NOT TO DO an adaptation of a TV cartoon, or any other adaptation;
3) To reinforce the idea that Scooby Doo are a FAMILY'S CARTOON and it have to remain like this, without this tragic and scatologic adaptation for disturbed teens.
Ps.: Now it's the time that people starts give me negative votes about my review. Go ahead, I don't care about that! It only proves how blind people are these days. I made my part, to warn you, but if you want to continue lying to yourself, c'mon, and give me a negative vote! The worst blind is the one who refuses to see!
on November 19, 2002
I went looking for a DVD one night and saw Scooby Doo in Full Screen. I wasn't going to purchase it because I don't like watching DVD's in Full Screen. I decided to dig a little and didn't fine a Wide Screen version, so I was going to wait it off.
I was looking around the section a little more and found another stack of Scooby Doo's, and again, they were Full Screen. I decided to look through the entire pile still, because I was hopeful. Surprisingly, I found a Wide Screen version. Of course I picked it up. I'm a fan of the cartoon (who isn't?), and I also enjoy Sarah Michelle Gellar as an actress.
So I went to a friends house and watched the DVD. It was quite enjoyable. It had very amusing parts, and it was quite reminiscent of the original cartoon series. The story was very fun and it wasn't one of those movies that kept you glued to your seat, but it was one of those movies that kept you laughing and smiling and enjoying the entire experience.
I was actually surprised, because as I was watching it, I felt like I was a child again watching a Scooby Doo cartoon on a bright, sunny Saturday morning. The acting wasn't Academy Award worthy, but it was good enough to make you enjoy the movie. Scooby Doo and his antics are always amusing and it's always fun watching Mystery, Inc. solve a mystery.
All in all, I thought this was a really good movie, and definitely a film the entire family should watch. The bonus material on the DVD isn't fulfilling, but it will keep you satisfied and keep the movies appeal alive.
on April 22, 2004
To be honest, I was never the biggest fan of Scooby Doo. I used to watch it as a kid - and liked Daphne's whole look to be honest! (I like purple) But then they brought Scrappy Doo into the whole equasion, and almost booted Scooby out. Scooby or Scrappy? Scooby every time, there's really no contest.
Then this comes out. Some people are never really sure of original cartoon character being put into a computer, and coming out nothing like how they were - for instance, the Garfield movie that is coming out this summer. He TALKS. But I'll still want to see it.
There wasn't that much action in this, so that was quite disappointing. The humour was quite good, especially from the fabulous Matthew Lilliard as Shaggy. How good a choice was he for Shaggy?! Pure genius. The rest of the cast were great for Daphne, Fred & a relatively unknown Linda Cardellini for Velma - who looks totally different!
Maybe I wasn't getting some of this movie, but when all their inner spirits came out and swapped bodies etc, was it just me, or did Velma totally change?! Or was that supposed to be part of the story? Cos suddenly, she was still wearing that orange top, but it changed from a poloneck, into a V-neck, very low cut, and she had a pair to rival Daphne's! And then it changes back. Zoinks indeed!
And Sarah Michelle Gellar is just a tad too old to be playing Daphne. If you look closely in a couple of scenes, she is wearing way too much concealer under her eyes, to cover up any possible bags, which seems almost too light for the rest of her skin, and makes her look really gaunt in the process.
This is a good movie if you're a fan of Scooby Doo. The DVD has lots of extras, if you could work out how to get into them, without getting distracted by Scooby Doo messing about, and if you can get past the fact that Scooby's mouth doesn't match what he's saying (which some reviewers obviously can't), then you can sit back, relax, and enjoy. And maybe get drunk to understand it more.
on October 4, 2003
Parts of this movie are okay (particularly the first 15 or so minutes), but other parts are just embarrassing. I think that just about any person on the planet who saw the old Scooby cartoons when they were still actually broadcast on television should see this movie, but try not to get too worked up about it because....
There is almost no attention paid to the power of the old Scooby "franchise". Old fans will not quite recognize what they liked so much about the cartoon, new fans will not be able to make the connection to what the old fans were raving about in the first place, etc.
No attempt was made to exploit any of the "subversive" subtext of the cartoon (i.e., that Shaggy is always hungry because he's something of a pothead and has the munchies on a regular basis). There was ample opportunity to dress everyone in this movie in the dreckiest 70's outfits imaginable, which would have been kind of funny. My guess is that Daphne/Buffy said "no way, I'm not wearing that thing". Daphne/Buffy also got her boyfriend onto the set (news flash...Freddie Prinz, Jr. is not convincing as a blond). It turns out she's responsible for more evil-doing than the vampires give her credit for.
Scooby is not an exact duplicate of the cartoon character, even though he is a cartoon. Scooby's eyes are too big (and too black...maybe Scoob is the one with the recreational drug problem). Something there is about a live-action film that does not love a cartoon. Maybe there was a test run performed with a "small-eyed" computer-generated Scooby, and it just didn't look right. But when millions of people know exactly what Scooby did look like, messing with the formula may not always be the wisest move.
But anyhow, it's worth seeing just to be able to talk about it later. The "protoplasmic heads" are also cool.
on October 11, 2002
If you are a big Scooby Doo fan, you may love this movie. Scooby Doo follows both Popeye and the Flintstones that started out as a cartoon and jumps to live action. As the movie begins, Fred (Freddie Prinze Jr) gives himself credit for the gang's newest mystery which leads Velma (Linda Cardellini) to quit, along with Daphne (Sarah Michelle Gellar), which leaves Shaggy (Matthew Lillard) and Scooby Doo along with the mystery machine. After 2 years, Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby accept a mystery to Sppoky Island, and they run into each other at the airport. The island's owner (Rowan Atkinson) arrive in good spirts and leave as teenagers. Buy this movie, you will not be disappointed in less in have already seen the movie, or do see it and get disappointed anyways. I don't know who does the voice of Scooby-Doo but if you do or have seen on the dvd on Scooby-Doo please e-mail me .... And please let me know you know of it. If you seen on on dvd and they mention it on the making of it or you seen it listed, If I can remember correctly I have seen two people listed.
on October 18, 2002
As a long-time fan of the cartoon, I was a little skeptical of this movie, thinking that they couldn't create a film as good as the show and that the actors wouldn't be able capture their characters' personas. I was wrong! Scooby-Doo is fun, amusing movie that the entire family could watch.
The plot of the movie is that two years after the Mystery Inc. gang goes their separate ways, Emile Mondavarious [Rowan Atkinson, a.k.a. Mr. Bean], owner of Spooky Island, invites them all [without any of them knowing the other has been invited] to his resort to investigate why the students, who've came there for Spring Break, are acting so strange. So, Fred [Freddie Prinze Jr.], Daphne [Sarah Michelle Gellar], Velma [Linda Cardellini], Shaggy [Matthew Lillard] and Scooby head to the island to check things out. When they get there, odd happenings begin to occur and they have to crack the case before things get out of hand! I also loved the ending. It was quite a surprise!
Out of all of the actors, I thought Matthew Lillard did a wonderful job in his portrayal of Shaggy. He truly acted just like the cartoon Shaggy did.
The special features on the DVD are great, too. You get a one or two player arcade trivia game, commentary by the cast & crew, terrific deleted scenes, plus much more.
I'm sure most of the fans of the original cartoon will enjoy this live-action movie, also.
on January 13, 2003
This movie is based on the highly successful Hanna-Barbara cartoon series. It stars Freddie Prinze Jr. as Fred, Sarah Michelle Gellar as Daphne, Matthew Lillard as Shaggy, and Linda Cardellini as Velma. The plot revolves around the group's mystery solving team, Mystery Inc. The group has split up after differences among the members surfaced. However, two years later, each receives a letter from the owner of Spooky Island, a hot spring break resort. Apparently, some supernatural forces have been at work on the island, and the group has been summoned to see if they can help. However, each does not know that anyone else has been invited, so its a shock when everyone arrives at the airport and discovers that they're all going to the same place. Will everyone be able to put their differences aside and solve the mystery?
I thought the acting in the movie was pretty good overall. However, I thought Fred's character was too preppy and self-involved. Sarah Michelle Gellar does a good job as Daphnie, and Linda Cardellini makes a perfect Velma, but this movie belongs to Matthew Lillard. His portyayal of Shaggy is top notch. He even sounds like the old Saturday morning character that we grew up with. His relationship with Scooby is just like I remember as a child. The computer animation is well done, and Scooby Doo seems almost life-like. This is a fun movie and brings back a lot of childhood memories.