Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on May 26, 2002
I have tried about 5 different yoga workout tapes, and these are by far the very best. The biggest benefit of Kest's is that he gives you time to stay in the poses, and paces it like a master. Rodney Yee's tapes are so stupid by comparison; he races through the poses like a science nerd who has no patience for dopey beginners. Kest, on the other hand, is very patient and persistent. His comments are encouraging and reassuring. He is a real human. While I agree with most of the other reviewers who say that it is not for beginners, it is not necessary to be Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, either. I had worked with Susan Deason's tapes, which were great preparatory workouts for this, for about 3 months. After that I felt I needed something more powerful and fat-burning (hate that word). You can stop worrying about weight loss and all that bunk that the consumerist gurus obsess about. Kest's approach has a spiritual side that makes you stay involved in the workout from a personal growth point of view; this guy has a wonderful system. My body is going through miraculous changes already, after 3 weeks; my waist is thinner, my torso is lengthening, my breathing and sense of well-being have improved by about 100%. Bravo, Bryan Kest!
on July 30, 2009
I was initially afraid that this Warner Bros DVD would be a Hollywood-type production without a firm grounding in the rich tradition of yoga. But no cause for concern: Bryan Kest's Power Yoga is the real thing. The workouts are vigorous--Power Yoga is meant to get the heart pumping and really stretch the body. However, in the three hour-long workouts on this DVD, he explains each pose clearly and succinctly, and directs the class at a reasonable pace. The first of the three sequences would be, I believe, within the range of most beginners--not too demanding, but definitely energizing. The second, "Tone," is a real workout, difficult to get through without pausing for a break, and with some slightly challenging poses. The third, "Sweat," is as almost as demanding aerobically, and contains some even more challenging poses. In all three, he gives lots of good tips on how to do the poses with proper alignment and constantly encourages you to go easy and not push beyond your healthy limits, especially at key points where strain or injury could occur without due care. On the DVD, he directs a group of nine or so male and female yoga students, most of whom are accomplished practitioners, in performing the poses. It cuts away regularly to shots of Bryan himself expertly demonstrating the poses. The music has a beat, and I think is just right for this kind of semi-athletic yoga style. No surprise that this would be a quality production. As just a teenager Kest (now in his 40's) travelled to India and studied with one of the world's leading luminaries of Yoga, the founder of Ashtanga yoga, K. Patabhi Jois. He also spent years with other top teachers in the U.S., and then opened his own studio in Califoria. I enjoy the challenging workouts on this DVD, I feel great after doing them, and I feel real growth of flexibility and stamina in my yoga asana practice as a result.
on July 7, 2016
As someone who has been practicing yoga for about 10 years and who owns about 20 yoga DVDs, I have to say that this is one of my very favourites. Bryan walks you through the moves carefully, reminding you of the importance of good form and of not trying to do more than you are really capable of. I'm not a particularly flexible person to begin with, and so I may never be able to do Level 3 of this video without some degree of modification. But yoga has helped me tremendously with flexibility, balance and mental well-being, and this is one of those videos that reminds you of just how good it is for you. Highly recommended.
on September 10, 2016
If you want a workout routine for alternate days that will strengthen your arms and core, this will help. Would I recommend it for daily use? No. While you'll be sweating by the end of it, the biggest challenge of this program comes from the same few moves repetitively performed. Every workout on the tape relies on repetition of these movements. I need a mental challenge when working out, changing things up regularly, and this DVD just doesn't deliver.
on March 23, 2005
I have to agree with the others on this DVD as far as the content but the the long hair, tight jeans (while he is teaching!) and the slow various shots of him with his opened shirt is a little much. This is why it lost a few stars. If you can get over the esthetic 'cheese', this DVD is for you.
on October 5, 2002
Not for the person who needs relaxation during their yoga practice. All three programs are basically the same workout, and the yoga student spends most of the workout in downward dog pose.
While Bryan is a good instructor, he spends very little time in meditation at the end of the video, and NEVER stops talking. The is not real yoga.
Caution: If you have back or wrist pain, these workouts are NOT for you. Please be careful.
on January 4, 2015
My boyfriend and I are 30- and 34-year old former competitive athletes who are now moderately active, and we LOVE this yoga DVD. Bryan really emphasizes the importance of breathing and the practices are challenging. I feel strong, tall, and relaxed every time I practice with this DVD. Highly recommended for beginner athletic/intermediate yoga practitioner who seeks a challenging yoga practice that both increases strength and flexibility. You will definitely feel your muscles the day after! Great for athletes who need a change of pace for "rest" days and to increase flexibility and proper breathing.
on November 15, 2005
I can not say enough great things about this DVD collection. If you are at all curious about learning Yoga, this is a great place to start. If you are an experienced yogi or yogini then this is also a great DVD to add to your collection. Bryan Kest not only gives you a great workout, he allows you to accept were you are at. As a power yoga teacher myself, I can olny hope that I can give my students the spiritual guidance and physical challenge that this collection gives. Bravo!!
on June 9, 2004
I'm a yoga novice and ever since I purchased this DVD, I have consistently used it three times per week. The first few times I was unable to maintain the poses for long, but I listened carefully to Bryan's instructions and when it got to be too intense, I sat down and watched. He's a wonderful instructor and getting this DVD and learning from it was better than some live yoga classes I'd paid for and been disappointed by.
on December 3, 2007
This DVD is great. There are 3 sessions on one DVD, which allows you to not get as bored with the workouts when you are using the DVD often. The participants are in good shape, and there are people of all levels of flexibility, which is nice to see. Bryan directs well and often reminds you to work to your own level but also to challenge yourself - whatever that is to you. Highly recommend this DVD!