Echo Dot bfdw boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition Beauty home Kindle sports tools

KitchenAid KICA0WH Ice Cream Maker Attachment
Size: fits 5 to 6 quart mixers|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 7, 2012
I got this attachment for my birthday, and I absolutely love it! It can make up to 2 litres in single batch. I give this product a 5 star rating!

There were a few things that I found initially frustrating and annoying; you have to pre-freeze the bowl for a minimum of 15 hours each time you want to make ice cream, and the recipes contained in the instruction manual all involve premixing the ingredients and then chilling for 8-10 hours before churning. However I quickly came up with solutions to both!

After the initial 15 hour freeze, whenever you make ice cream, immediately wash out the bowl with COLD water, dry the outside, and pop it back into the freezer to stay frozen. This eliminates the 15 hour wait time to refreeze. Just make sure that you use cold water to wash it out, so as not to speed up melting and/or crack the plastic housing from temperature shock.

As for the premixing of ingredients and chilling for 8-10 hours - I found this can be avoided if you make Philadelphia-style ice cream, instead of the French-style (custard-based) ice cream recipes provided in the manual. The first time I tried making ice cream, I used the standard French-style French vanilla recipe provided, and was not at all satisfied with the results. Although it looked and tasted good, the texture was too airy and "fluffy", and when I put it in the freezer to set, it was almost like a frozen mousse, not ice cream. It was also very hard after being in the freezer, like a block of ice, and couldn't be easily scooped. I prefer my ice cream to be more dense, but still soft and creamy. And don't forget, I had to premix all the ingredients, cook them to form a custard, and then chill everything for 10 hours before I could actually even make the ice cream! That's when I went online and discovered Philadelphia-style ice cream, which eliminates the custard base and eggs. It is much simpler, using only cream, milk, sugar, and flavouring. It came out soft and rich, like soft serve, and set PERFECTLY in the freezer - easy to scoop! I highly recommend this style over the French-style recipes.

Here are a few recipes I have come up with so far:

Bailey's Irish Cream Ice Cream (Yields 4 cups or 1 L)

* 2 cups whipping cream (35% m.f.)
* 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 2 shots Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur (works better if Bailey's is kept chilled in fridge or freezer)

- Whisk together the milk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the cream and Bailey's, and mix until incorporated.
- Assemble ice cream maker attachment and turn the mixer to speed 1.
- Slowly pour the mixture into the bowl and let churn for 15-20 minutes, or until desired consistency.

** Freeze in airtight container for 2 hours to set, or eat as a soft-serve style ice cream directly after mixing.
** You can substitute the Bailey's liqueur with your favourite strawberry liqueur (I use Amarula), and add fresh, diced strawberries about 3 minutes before the ice cream is done churning.

Godiva Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream

* 2 cups whipping cream (35% m.f.)
* 1 cup chocolate milk
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 tsp cocoa powder
* 2 shots Godiva White Chocolate liqueur
* Chocolate chunks or shavings (I use semi-sweet)

- Whisk milk, sugar, and cocoa together until dissolved.
- Add cream and Godiva liqueur, and mix until incorporated.
- Assemble ice cream maker attachment and turn the mixer to speed 1.
- Add the chocolate shavings/chunks to the ice cream about 3 minutes before you are done churning.

You don't have to use liqueurs in your ice cream if you don't want to - or if it will be served to children. Just follow the basic recipes and omit the alcohol. I do find, though, that the alcohol helps to prevent the ice cream from getting too hard when stored in the freezer, as alcohol does not freeze. Even without the alcohol, though, it is still much softer and easier to scoop than the French-style recipes.

Enjoy!
11 Comment| 236 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2017
The driver assembly is not the one shown in the picture. The newest model is very cheaply made. I have broken two already using recipes provided by KitchenAid. I give it two stars because the freezer Bowl stays cold a long time and you do not have to rush to get your ingredients into the machine. Also customer service was very attentive.
review image
on May 20, 2017
This attachment is great. I used to have an ice cream maker that plugged into the wall but the motor didn't seem quiet strong enough. Having this attached to my KitchenAid mixer, I have no worries about the ice cream hardening. Homemade ice cream is the best with the right recipe
on December 22, 2016
works great ... included instructions showed a different model, but turns out with you tube i found my solutions.
always leave in freezer for further use ...
on October 7, 2017
Mediocre build quality for the plastic paddle/scraper and drive coupler components. The bowl is also difficult to fill efficiently - there is insufficient space between the bowl and the head of the mixer. If the ice-cream base is added to the bowl before mixing is started, a frozen layer forms on the wall of the bowl and the plastic scraper is torqued considerably to break free of the frozen layer. However, it does make perfectly tasty ice-cream at a reasonable price.
on September 2, 2017
So cool! Literally! We love having this for fresh ice cream. We follow the directions exactly as directed in the booklet, for instance fully let it thaw (maybe even overnight) prior to hand washing it, and we store it completely dry and back in the box. No issues!
on December 5, 2016
this works awesome.......lots of people complaining.....you have to read directions......I love it......it does what it says it does
on August 25, 2014
This product is not working at all.
The attachment was falling apart when I've tried to stir it into the ice cream that is frizzing very fast around the walls.

Conclusion: the manufacturer has to look into improving in coupling of the attachment for securing the two parts together.
on August 21, 2017
Just used this weekend, simple to use and it does a great homemade ice cream.
As mentioned in other reviews the driver assembly is not the one shown in the picture (unfortunately it comes with which seems a cheaper version).
on November 3, 2017
It broke the first time I used it. Good customer service sent me a repeaiir piece so now everything is fine