boutiques-francophones Learn more countdown vpcflyout home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: DVD|Change

on May 10, 2014
I had this on my wish list for quite a while and bought it when the price came down. I shouldn't have waited. It is so amazing to see these men get back together after all these years and sing their own and each other's songs in perfect harmony. Their voices have not been lost to the years. Might have seemed like there was still some tension with Don Felder as he seemed to be on his own during much of the performance but the group still played as a cohesive unit. Great job guys. I am not a country music fan by the way, though I remember listing to an Eagles album in the early 70's. I enjoy groups that can write lyrics that make sense and have meaning. This is a lost art but not lost on the Eagles. I forget Don Henley's exact words made years earlier about music videos, but it was something about predicting the end of creativity and meaningful music. He was so right. I also purchased Don Henley's greatest hits and enjoy every song on that album. These guys all write songs with meaning. I miss that so much. If you are a kindred soul, get this DVD. It's a good evening spent watching television.
on May 31, 2004
I love this DVD. Technically, as far as the sound is concerned, it is superb. With a good set of headphones, you feel as though you are sitting next to the band. You can hear every vibration of the guitar strings. The video is very good, but I would have enjoyed some more closeups of the fingers and instruments.
The music is excellent. It is a good representative selection of the Eagles best tracks - both the well-known ones and the not-so-well-known ones - with a combination of old and new, solo and group.
As an historical "document", it is great to see the group back together and see how they have changed, or not, over the 14 years since they spilt up. They obviously enjoyed putting the DVD together most of the time. If you concentrate on the music, you can ignore the behind-the-scenes tensions that apparently were there.
And I think that the music is great!! I think that all Eagles fans should get this DVD to complete the history of the group, one of the greatest of the genre.
on July 10, 2003
My wife and I saw the Eagles in one of their Hell Freezes Over concerts in East Troy, Wisconsin a few years back. This by far was the greatest concert we've ever attended! They pumped out nearly 3 hours of non-stop music. I've watched the DVD and right off the bat I became annoyed with the constant fading in and out of the performers. Don't get me wrong the video is flawless and the lighting is great. There were many camera angles which added to the experience, but I just wished the producer's didn't fade in and out on the performers as much as they did. You don't get a chance to lock in on any one musician for more that 2 seconds or so. I, as others have stated, don't understand why the DVD wasn't released with Dolby 5.1. I don't have DTS, but probably will in the future, so I guess I don't feel cheated as do others and I knew going into the purchase that it didn't have Dolby 5.1. The sound is great even in the PCM stereo mode. All in all, this is an excellent DVD for any Eagle's fan collection.
on February 14, 2004
This is the superb video version covering the equally terrific live album of the reunion of the fabulous Eagles, which was, of course, the singular musical event of the year when it was released, based as much on the fact that the individual members of the former super-group had likened their chances to reforming and performing as a group again was as likely as the title. Well, all things are possible to those who wait, and our wait has been rewarded with an accurate depiction of a richly textured and memorable effort that covers many of their best previous songs as well as several new ones.
Thus we trip from "Tequila Sunrise" to "Hotel California", from "New York Minute" to "Desperado", and from "Take It Easy" to "Life In The Fast Lane". The single best aspect of the video is the fact that it shows just how much the guys are enjoying themselves here, as well as the simple fact that they are out there creating and working together, which gives one hope concerning their possible future works, and given other recent efforts like "A Hole In The World", it appears they are again gathering and recording. Hope we don't have to wait for Hell to freeze over again. Enjoy
on February 21, 2003
This is something many classic rock fans dreamed about for many years--the reunion of the Eagles. Then, finally, in 1994, it happened, and the result is this spectacular concert DVD (along with the album of the same title). The sound is absolutely fantastic, and the band is very impressive, definitely at the top of their game.
Most of the classics you and I have heard on the radio for so many years are present here, many performed with a little bit of extra kick that makes you remember why the Eagles were such a rockin' band in the first place. And the version of "Hotel California" is breathtaking, very well done. I bought the CD when it came out in '94, and am only now experiencing the DVD version. Needless to say, I'm very, very impressed, and will be buying it for myself very soon!
This is a DVD no Eagles fan should be without, and also one that will be an essential part of any Classic Rocker's collection. The Eagles still have it--and this is the next best thing to going to a concert (for those of us who can't afford it). Don't miss this DVD!
on June 4, 2004
The best song on this DVD is Joe Walsh`s "Help me through the night"...other wise this show is a bomb... I love the Eagles but they left so much off this DVD, I wanted to hear "best of my love"...nope, wanted to hear 'New kid in town", nope.... jesus, what songs did they do??? Don Henley solo matreial, what??????????????????????????????????? this is THE EAGLES!!!!! not the Don Henley solo show..... Tequila Sunrise was great, Hotel California was great.... etc...... "Take it easy" was great, I think this DVD was a compromise for Don Henley, if he was going to play with these guys he wanted to plug his tunes.....otherwise he wouldnt have done it, theres history here folks.....Don Henley and Glenn Frey do not get along ..god knows why, can anybody answer that???? what happened between these guys????
They wrote some great songs, what could have driven these 2 guys so far apart??? was it egos???? god, hope not.... anyways, good DVD but so mcuh left off........, oh well, "Get over it boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"like songs says.......
on February 22, 2002
The other reviews have already said it: this is the most superb-sounding DVD available. I have no Eagles in my music collection and am not even that interested in their music yet:
1. Attention home theatre types: the fidelity of sound in DTS mode is the finest you'll find on any DVD at this time (Feb 2002) - this is the DVD to impress your friends with how great the sound can be on your home theatre.
2. The picture quality is amazingly sharp (I've been asked by friends if it was shot on HDTV - it wasn't but it looks that sharp).
3. It's assuredly composed and edited...which is much more than I can say for 99% of the concert videos out there. The cuts make sense, the angles aren't crazy or weird and the flow is excellent.
4. Finally, but not least, the band sounds (and even looks) every bit as good as they did 20 some years ago. Don Henley's voice in particular is completely "there" - he hits every high note and never falters.
I'm no fan but I am completely blown away by this DVD. As far as I'm concerned it sets a standard for all other concert DVD's.
on December 30, 2002
Hell Freezes Over was my first DVD purchase. I purchased it on the recommendation that the DTS sound is incredible on this DVD. Also, I like a few of the Eagles' songs from hearing them on the radio. Despite the fact the bands formation pre-dates my birth by about 7 years, and that I like heavier and blues based rock; this DVD is a good buy for many reasons.
The Sound:
You have two choices with this DVD. PCM Stereo (good) or DTS Digital Surround (incredible!). The DTS surround on this DVD makes owning a DVD player and home audio system worth it. The mixing is excellent throughout, allowing you to be fully absorbed into the audience. Individual instruments come at you from where you'd expect in a live setting. This is very evident on Hotel California, and other multiple guitar songs, with a pronounced character coming from each instrument. Vocals are clear throughout, as well as bass and drums. Piano and organ sound great too.
I felt the guitar sound on Life In the Fast Lane was a little too quiet for me, it needed to be louder, and a few other songs as well, although tweaking my audio setup corrected it in some cases. As a guitarist myself, I want to be able to hear all the guitar work, but this may not be as important to others.
The Picture:
Excellent picture quality, some good camera work was going on as well. The stage design is simple, as to not take away from the performers. Lighting is good as well, in a subdued and calm way, nothing really crazy or flashy, but it works well for the mood of the concert.
The Songs:
I can't say I'm a die hard Eagles fan, or that I've listened to them for years. But the mix of songs seems good. This DVD had songs I reconized, but many I did not. For me it introduced some new songs and made me look at the Eagles as more of a country rock band instead of a classic rock band. There are a lot of country style songs here like Tequila Sunrise, The Girl From Yesterday, Desperado, Take It Easy, etc. On the DVD they play a few new songs, according to the band. A couple of them are ok.
I am not a fan of what you call country music, but these songs didn't overdo the country theme for me. They are quite mellow and enjoyable. I'm not going to list all the songs, but I'm sure most of these are considered classic Eagles.
A downside in my opinion, is Joe Walsh's voice. I think he's a great guitarist, but vocally he didn't sound very good at all in my opinion. That is one of the few less stellar moments...
Overall:
A good concert DVD with incredible sound. The band is not putting on a flashy, stylish show here, but they do much better; they let the music, their musicianship and good taste speak for itself. I am not a big country-rock fan, but this DVD succeded in opening my mind to the genre. I'm sure if I was a die hard Eagles fan I would have given it 5 stars and forgiven the little bits that made me give it 4 stars instead. Otherwise this DVD is great to impress friends with your surround sound speakers...
on March 23, 2000
Hell Freezes Over has to be the most realistic concert sound yet available on DVD. I have the DTS encoded six-speaker surround system with a 55" Widescreen HDTV, so the video is better than what I can see or hear at just about any motion picture theatre. I have found no other DVD that can match the production quality and sound, yet. Mostly due to the DTS encoding which is noticably superior to the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround on the home theater system. Above technical quality, the Eagles themselves perform their best yet. Comparing Hotel California on this DVD with their original is like comparing an old Chevy with a Rolls. The old Chevy is a great classic, and attractive, but the Rolls has the ride and the class. Don Felder and Joe Walsh perform better than I have ever before heard them, and playing the Alverez classical guitars on the Hotel California cut is hands-down, just the best version ever. Glenn Frey and Don Henley give impressive performances, and Timothy B. Schmidt also is at his best ever on bass and vocals. I watch it again and again. There is just no comparison to the sound of the DTS DVD and the CD of this same album. I have both and the CD is always a letdown after hearing the DVD. Well worth the price, and a DVD you will listen to again and again.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 30, 2003
There is a reason this is the best selling music DVD on the market. The Eagles have reunited after 14 years to give a spot-on performance. It is not what you may have expected, however. The first 10 minutes are a barrage of interviews with various members of the band, as to why they decided to get back together. It seems somewhat forced, but at least they reconciled old differences enough to band together again. The rest of the DVD contains (17) seventeen songs in an intimate setting that is sparse with a simple lighting arrangement. The vocals and instrumentals are near perfect and it's hard to imagine that this much time has passed.
The first several songs, "Hotel California", "Tequila Sunrise" and "Help Me Through The Night" are not as upbeat as on record, but contain some extended instrumentals as nice surprises. It isn't until "Take It Easy" (13 thirteen songs later) that the band really kicks into gear. With "Life In The Fast lane", "In The City" and the new, self effacing, "Get Over It", the concert really continues to rock. Closing the set is the timeless, "Desperado", sung with pure emotion. It's a simple set, but well worth the admission.
There is only one extra - the video to "Seven Bridges Road". I would have expected more.