countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Pets All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports tools Registry

Format: DVD|Change

on June 5, 2000
Rockers is a rough, rugged and raw look at Jamaica in the mid 70s, a time of extreme political unrest and economic desparation.
Horsemouth (played by real life musician, Leroy 'Horsemouth' Wallace) is a Kingston drummer, known to be one of the best session players around. But times are hard inna the ghetto and Horsemouth can't get enough work to feed his children. After he convinces his very patient wife to give him her life savings, he purchases a motorcycle and travels the island as an independent promoter, distributing the hottest reggae tunes to the record stores starved for the latest rhythms. Everything is going smoothly until Horsemouth accidently stumbles upon a massive burglary ring run by some shady "mafia boy" businessmen.
But no worries, Rasta cyaan fail. With the help of his musical bredren (including Gregory Isaacs, Burning Spear, Jacob Miller, and a host of other reggae legends) Horsemouth triumphs in the end.
on March 12, 1999
I had been a Reggae fan since the early 70's, and was happy to learn that the film "Rockers" was playing at the local art film theatre in Pacific Beach, CA, where I was living at the time. I took it in the first night it opened, and was totally stunned that the movie seemed to have been made especially for "ME". I walked around in a daze every day that it played, taking in a matinee, and then seeing it every night for the duration of the play. Ironically, the vinyl mysteriously showed up at the local record shop the next week, and I bought it. I have had it ever since and play it occasionally for friends. The "Stepping Razor" cut became my inspiration and personal anthem for the next several years while sweating out a divorce. Seminal and positively primal!
on February 17, 2000
This movie is a refreshing look at the Rasta way of life, in the process depicting enteprenuership, the Jamaican record industry, micro economics, passion for a classic motorbike, and imaginitive courage in the face of a downpressing system.
A truly authentic movie, so thick in dialect, and pure in inspiration. The music score fits meaningfully into every scene, and Burning Spear does some excellent melodic counseling in person.
The whole record industry element of this movie is also especially interesting with the advent of mp3 and our current music habits.
I usually don't buy VHS anymore, but I dont think this is on the list for DVD conversion- so I bought it a couple weeks ago.
on February 8, 2000
I'm big reggae fan from the late seventies and had heard about the movie and sountrack, but it wasn't until one day, while browsing tower records in boston that I stumbled across a copy of the movie. I raced home and watched it, suddenly transported to another time. A GREAT movie to sit back and "spark one". This movie catches reggae at it's musical apex, as many of the great reggae stars from the times are present in the movie, whether playing starring roles, bit parts or making cameos. A great great movie.
on March 23, 1999
I love reggae and several visits to Jamaica proved that the Jamaicans are incredibly resourceful and courageous people. I saw the movie in San Francisco over and over again. I got married and moved back to N.C. I asked for the video for Christmas before the days of amazon.com. My husband had it shipped in from New York. It is my very favorite video. Watch this movie and you will never complain about paying taxes again!!!
on December 26, 2008
Fun movie, choc-full of music. You could even put this dvd on as som background noise for a get together, laid-back sound throughout. Basically an excuse to play reggae, not a thorough plot, but fun and lighthearted.
on March 27, 2015
I love this movie, it's soundtrack, and all the reggae legends who make an appearance as themselves. A great collector's item for any reggae enthusiast.
on July 17, 1999
At last, reggae in a form i very much dig. There is no film who explains the feelings of many people who lives abroad Africa and jamaica. I live in belgium babylon and it's such a movie who tells me there are others like me!! Live Up
on December 27, 1999
I saw this movie in a theater. Amoungst other things, I think this is a very funny movie, I laughed my ass off. Then I went and bought the record and played it for about 2 years. I love this movie.