Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite fd18 Tools

Customer reviews

Emancipation of....
Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 27, 2017
Very good
on January 24, 2008
I'm so proud of Mariah for having a comeback when everyone said that her career was over.

1. IT'S LIKE THAT - As she has done on many of her albums, she started the CD with an up-tempo track which is a good decision. "It's Like That' is the perfect single to start her comeback year. It's a fun, light, party song with a bumping beat.

2. WE BELONG TOGETHER - Her surprise 16th No.1 single on the Hot 100. I think it was the perfect song to have as her comeback No.1 hit. It has all the things that people love about Mariah's singles: an amazing vocal performance, a great beat, and it's a mid-tempo ballad. It's a beautiful song. I love the melody.

3. SHAKE IT OFF - Her biggest No.2 single ever, at 6 weeks. I didn't like this at first, but it certainly grew on me. The cool R&B groove that it has is very infectious. Everyone says it sounds like an Usher styled song, but I see it as a Jermaine Dupri styled song. After all, he produced most of Ushers hits.

4. MINE AGAIN - This is a great song! It's a classic old school R&B-styled ballad. She sings the hell out of it, but at times she's kind of yelling. But all-in-all, a great vocal performance. Great melody.

5. SAY SOMETHING (f/ Snoop Dogg) - This is the song that introduced most people to MIMI, since it got leaked last November. A lot of people aren't feeling this song, but I love it!!. I love the beat, the lyrics, and the amazing Neptunes production. There's been so much debate about this song being a single, but it looks like it's not gonna happen. This is definitely a good club song though.

6. STAY THE NIGHT - This is one of my favs on the album. I like the piano sample that's going through the back, and the old school eat. It kind o reminds me of "The Roof", except in this song, Mariah belts out the lyrics. They sound great and the chorus is really catchy.

7. GET YOUR NUMBER (f/ Jermaine Dupri) - This is another club hit that samples "Just an Illusion" by Imagination, with a Jermaine Dupri twist. He also sings the chorus, and it kind of sounds like Nelly. The beat in this song is crazy, I love it! The melody and lyrics are so catchy that you can't help but listen to it.

8. ONE AND ONLY (f/ Twista) - This is my least favorite song on the album, because it's not all that catchy. Mariah sings as fast as Twista though, which is impressive considering he's the fastest rapper in the world. It's a mid-tempo R&B/hip-hop song. It sounds like more of a Twista song then a Mariah Carey song.

9. CIRCLES - This song is amazing! Her voice sounds crystal clear and she really shows emotion in this song. It's an old school R&B styled song, it's kind of mid-tempo. It sounds very similar to Alicia Key's hit song "You Don't Know My Name".

10. YOUR GIRL - This is a very slick R&B song. It's very smooth and Mariah belts out the chorus and the second verse. This is also one of my favorites on the album.

11. I WISH YOU KNEW - This is a soul song that's done with a complete live band. I like the lyrics. The thing I like most about it is the sound of a live audience in the back, it really adds a lot to the song. I really like the horns in the back.

12. TO THE FLOOR (f/ Nelly) - This is another Neptunes' produced track. It sounds similar to Britney Spears "Boys". It's a very old school sounding funk song. Neptunes' did a great job with the production. Nelly's very charismatic in the song, and he overshadows Mariah.

13. JOY RIDE - This is the slowest song on the album. It's a modern R&B ballad. It's very soothing and nice. It sounds like something that should be on `Charmbracelet'.

14. FLY LIKE A BIRD - Now this is what you call a classic. This song is perfect, it features a live band. Also Mariah's voice builds up momentum the whole song until the end when the choir is singing the chorus and Mariah belts out the ad libs (Carry me home, oh, carry me hoooome). It's amazing. The lyrics, the voice of her pastor, everything. A perfect way to end the album.

All-in-all, I'm very happy for Mariah because no one expected her to have this massive comeback story, and this album was the perfect one to do the trick. I'm glad she's back doing what she does best: Delivering great club songs and ballads all with her amazing voice.
on January 24, 2008
I was a bit skeptical about this re-release because I usually don't like re-releases. That's why I took off one star. The bonus tracks and the DVD are good nonetheless.

14. FLY LIKE A BIRD - Now this is what you call a classic. This song is perfect, it features a live band. Also Mariah's voice builds up momentum the whole song until the end when the choir is singing the chorus and Mariah belts out the ad libs (Carry me home, oh, carry me hoooome). It's amazing. The lyrics, the voice of her pastor, everything. A perfect way to end the album (minus the bonus songs).

15. DON'T FORGET ABOUT US - This is basically a continuation of "We Belong Together". It sounds like a freestyle ballad that would've been released in the late 80's or early 90's. It's nothing new, but it has an amazing melody, and it's sure to be a huge radio smash. I love it.

16. MAKIN' IT LAST ALL NIGHT (WHAT IT DO) (f/ Jermaine Dupri) - This is another club-banger (I can't get enough of these!). It has the standard Jermaine Dupri up-tempo production. I really like the chorus. Mariah doesn't belt anything out in this song, but it suits it. The beat/rhythm is similar to Bow Wow and Ciara's "Like you", but faster. Great song!

17. SO LONELY (ONE & ONLY PART II) (f/ Twista) - This song kicks @$$!!! I can't wait to hear it at a club. It's a great R&B/ Hip-hop Collabo. It's much better than part one. Rodney Jerkins really outdid himself on this record. The beat is crazy, and Mariah sounds hot. Twista sounds good also. This features an extra verse by Mariah, which is kind of superfluous, but it doesn't take away from this amazing song.

18. WE BELONG TOGETHER REMIX (f/ Styles P & Jadakiss) - This sounds extremely similar to 3LW's "I Can't Take it" (Featuring Nas). Most of the lyrics are the same as the original. It has a really good beat, although I could do without the useless rapping by the two members of the Lox. Great remix, nonetheless, and it's a good addition to this CD.

on October 23, 2005
I totally disagree with the offical review of Amazon. Mariah Carey is an exceptional singer.. With her 5 optive voice and unfogettable collaborations, there is no mistake that she is the best female artist in the world. The Emancipation of Mimi, as definetly brought Mariah Carey back onto the music scene. The album has many hit including WE BELONG TOGETHER, who gave Mariah Carey her 15th number one hit. THe bast year she as one many awards including the Worlds best selling R & B Female artist, and the Worlds Best Pop Female Artist. She Also picked up entertainer of the year from the world Music Award and got the most nominations for the AMA's. Mariah is BACK..This is an excellent album and I reccomend anyone to buy.
on January 5, 2006
anyway...i enjoyed this cd. i've always enjoyed mariah's voice. favourite track is 'we belong together' and 'fly like a bird' is a great track too, which shows her unbelievable vocal talents. not too sure on some of the musical style of some of the other tracks. haven't quite put a finger down on what i'd call the style. r&b mixed with ??? other favourite tracks are 'it's like that', 'to the floor' and 'get your number'. so glad she came back though. tired of people calling her crazy and everything.
on April 20, 2005
"The Emancipation of Mimi" is one of Mariah's finest album since 'Daydream' and "Butterfly". The greatest pop vocalist in history has returned to reclaim her title. She is to be credited for this album; it is a great effort that contains groovy hip-hop tunes and soulful R&B ballads that leaves you virtually satisfied. Standout tracks include "Its like that" "We belong together", "Circles" and "Wish you knew". The best song on the album however is "Fly like a bird" which is highly reminiscent of 'Music Box's' "Anytime you need a friend". Here, you hear the five octaved diva giving her all. She shows that she can still hit notes secluded in the 6th and 7th octave. This leaves you either amused or annoyed that she resorts to her (in)famous dog whistle.
However, there are certain instances where you hear that Mariah's voice is not the same. On certain tracks she over-employs the cloudy,breathy falsetto that distorts her diction. Also, at times her voice sounds forced as if she cannot comfortably hit the 'Patti' notes (in full voice) as she used to. Maybe she is trying too hard to show that she still has it; the result leaves you wondering how her voice got so rough.
A good effort none the less. Kudos to Mariah.
on November 19, 2005
i think that this is an amazing cd, and that everone should have a copy of it, because it has catchy tunes and mariah carey has an amazing voice, this is the big comeback for mimi.if u already have a copy or the original, The Emancipation of Mimi, you should buy the limited or the ultra platinum edition cd.i hope you enjoy it as much as i did, and if you heard anything bad about this cd, it is not true, like the other review had said she has a bad voice, that they tried to cover it up with music, that is not true.her voice is clear and very beautiful,and you cant compare her to beyonce, Mariah is clearly a great singer,and you will realize that once you listen to her music.her voice sounds the same as when she is onstage, meaning that her voice was not edited, like many other stars.if she didnt have a great voice, then how does she get so many #1's, and why is she known as a singer with a great voice?and when she came out with her 2005(the emancipation of mimi) cd and her hit singles, she was known as the "return of the voice"
One person found this helpful
on October 18, 2007
I don't like Mariah Carey as a person, but NO ONE can deny the fact that she can sing. I don't know where she was going with her last couple of albums, but this CD is amazing. Aside from her vocal talent, the production and writing of the CD really stands out. My favorite track is "Stay the Night"..."just let me rock you 'till the morning light". I don't believe her when she says that she writes her own lyrics - she's too much of a ditz (listen to her speak when she is being interview).
Anyway, for those who do not have this CD, make this be the next one you buy. It is worth every penny.
on April 26, 2005
We had a longer wait for this album, but man was it worth it!!! She is singing her heart out on this album and getting closer to the "real" Mariah....more r&b and gospel. The Kanye West produced track "Stay the Night" is one of the best, along with JoyRide, Fly Like a Bird, Shake it off, well they are ALL AWESOME!!!
If you love Mariah, YOU NEED THIS ALBUM! This is one of her best, up with the ranks of Butterfly and Daydream...a must have!
on October 27, 2005
omg mariah carey so rocked in her songs and i think that she should of won like dozens upon thousands of awards...and her song "stay the night" and "get yout number" totally rocked my speakers and i think that it should do with every american along with such as china,russia,canada,and much more!!! so in conclusion:mariah carey is a vocaly and mentally talented and her producers SHOULD be proud of the work she has put into the songs that they write!!! so i would think twice..buy the cd and then listen to the songs over and over and hear all the beautiful twists of notes and beats go together........