countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: DVD|Change

on February 22, 2016
This is a wonderful story and of course Magie Smith and Judy Dench play in it... could not find a better LADIES to play the roll... it is romanting and showing some old England stories.... I do not know anybody who does not like music.... I was born in country where Mozart composed Giovanni and I visited Vienna many times.... we produced many wonderful musician... and I love the young man devotion for being happy when he received his violin.... great great
on January 4, 2014
A beautiful, tender story takes place in a beautiful English seaside village. The scenery is breath-taking, the acting is superb. How can you go wrong with names like Judi Dench and Maggie Smith in the same movie? A win-win situation, and the bonus is of course the violin playing by the fantastic Joshua Bell.
on August 12, 2013
I bought this movie because the reviews were very positive and most of the reviewers loved the same shows I love -- Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, Downton Abbey, etc...and this cast with Judi Dench and Maggie Smith just seemed unbeatable. My mom (72 yrs old) and I love to watch movies together and I thought this might be a good choice. We both liked it, although I think the casting is what saved it. I am never one looking for action in a movie, but holy cow --- this is a slow one. However, Judi Dench's facial expressions as she comes to terms with getting older, regret, humiliation, etc., were worth the long journey through this show. It was heartbreaking watching her (character) realize that she is no longer a young woman and some of the experiences she missed or waited too long for may be denied her forever.
on July 19, 2013
Maggie Smith and Judi Dench are superb as always; this is a beautiful film which explores human emotions on so many levels and does so without becoming maudlin in the process. One cannot ever be disappointed in any film in which these consummate actresses play a role.
on January 9, 2014
I've been a big fan of both of these "Dames" for many years. When I read about this film, I had to add it to my DVD library! Both Dench and Smith are "sisters" in this film, set in Cornwall during the pre-war years; they find a young man (Bruhl) washed up on the shores and the ladies, take him in and nurse him back to good health. It turns out that this young man (Bruhl) is a talented musician and is Polish...not able at first to speak or communicate in English with the ladies. Delightful film that will leave you, wanting more! Sound score from the film of both folk songs and classic music is well produced and would be a joy for one's CD library. Highly recommend this film!
on December 18, 2014
The acting was awesome, as the main characters were played by Maggie Smith & Judy Dench. They made the play come alive even though Judy Dench played a roll of a person whom was a little strange, but very lovable. She fell in love with a young man half her age whom washed up on shore from where, we never find out. He plays a fantastic violin, and seduced by a young lady to go to London to perform, so leaves the village.
on May 16, 2014
In these unfortunate times of interminable car chases, gunfights and gratuitous sex, this movie was a completely refreshing change. Not all that surprising when the leading actresses are two of the finest in the world, not only today, but for the past half-century. There are other fine actors of course, but these two have that rare comodity of CLASS. Thank you, Barrie Fisher.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 6, 2006
What a tremendously sad movie. Ladies in Lavender creates two elderly female characters who react to the arrival of a beautiful young man. One reacts to him as a mother would, the other as something much different. This is a movie about regrets, loss and loneliness. This is a cautionary tale that asks the viewer to review decisions made in the present tense that can make the future tense. The performances are beautiful, of course, the story leaves one thinking afterwards. As credits you will probably want to think about what you've seen more than talk about it. I think I saw the movie in time ... I'll know in a few more years. Even so, I'll thank the cast and the scriptwriters now.
on August 6, 2012
If you are looking for edge of your seat excitement, this is not the video for you. But if you love laid back gentle British humour and pathos, you will love this one. It is only improved by the fact that it has both Maggie Smith and Judy Dench, who are brilliant!
on June 30, 2014
What a unique movie. I very much enjoyed it - the scenery was lovely and made me very homesick for Cornwall; the violinist was exceptionally brilliant! The movie arrived in a timely way. Thank you very much!