boutiques-francophones Learn more countdown scflyout All-New Kindle Music Deals Store Pets sports Tools

on March 1, 2016
You get what you pay for and a tiny bit extra.

Some technical info that obviously can't be shown in a picture:

#1. The blade is made of a pretty thick and hefty piece of metal. It has a very thick spine. This is not a glorified kitchen knife.
#2. The balancing point is roughly where the grind ends and the ricasso begins.
#3. The bevel on the top of the tip is not edged. Fairly thin close to the tip but overall you would have to remove a fair bit of steel to give it a full edge.
#4. The grind angle on the edge seems compatible with a sharpening block for american kitchen knives. (so probably about 45/45 but I'm not a knife expert so don't quote me on that)
#5. The handle is a single piece of wood (i.e. not 2 joined halves).
#6. Most knives I've picked up in this price range come with a pretty cheap sheath but this one is actually really nice. (It has a form fitting plastic insert inside the nylon so the knife doesn't wander around inside the sheath and cut it to pieces. The nylon itself seems thicker than most in the same price range and it has two button snaps to help keep the knife nice and still.
#7. Sharpness-on-arrival is 'standard amazon knife sharpness'. So if you are obsessed with knife sharpness it will need a bit of work. But otherwise "sharp enough" for any practical purpose.

Fit and finish wise, it's a budget knife. It definitely doesn't look like it belongs in the lock-up where they keep the hundred dollar knives at the sporting store. Which is fine considering I didn't pay anywhere near that for it.

The first thing you will notice when you get it is that it is huge. Comedicaly so. It looks like they just took the pattern for a bowie with a 5" blade and inflated it until the blade was 8" and kept everything else in proportion. So the handle feels fairly chunky and the guard is way thicker than it needs to be. I would feel comfortable parrying a sword with this knife in my hand. That's how thick the guard is. The knife in the sheath weighs exactly 1 lb. Which may or may not be trivial. (That's a fair bit of weight to give to a knife that doesn't double as any other tool if you are back-packing).

It's definitely not a stand-alone survival knife due to the lack of a saw but I would confidently carry it on my hip as an extreme last resort in the event that I had exhausted all other options in the event of a predator attack. You could probably also use it as a wedge for chiseling wood in a pinch but the overall balancing and handling of the knife does not feel like it would favor swinging it.

Overall if you're like me and you like test driving different knives around the camp site this is definitely a decent novelty piece. But unless I suddenly found myself underneath a bear before I was able to get out the bear spray I honestly could never picture myself actually using this knife for anything. And yet I'll probably still bring it along anyways because if I left it at home I'd be wishing for it if that bear showed up. Otherwise there's a smaller and more effective knife for every other job.
on May 13, 2014
This knife contrary to others opinions, is full tang! I like the feel and weight of the knife It is very large and that is the reason I got it!! Most hunters, fishermen, outdoors persons like a knife that can be used rough and stand up to some abuse yet stays functional! This is an around nice, all purpose knife that is hard to beat, with a very low price tag!!
on January 14, 2013
I don't understand some of the bad comments here.
It is what it is.
Consider the price.
For this kind of money, you get a nice big knife that does what it is supposed to.
I don't care where it was made, not for this price.
This delivers and makes a nice hunting or camping knife.
It is big, I mean biiiiig, it chops through anything I exposed it to thus far, and hey you get a nice sheath with it.
Again -
can\t complain considering the (very) low price.
Arrived in good shape, delivery time was average.
Good deal.
on April 19, 2012
Bought it because i needed another item to get the free shipping. Its a pretty awesome bowie, it's HUGE! But it is very cheap, not full tang, my hand guard looks like it was hit with a nail or something and there are cracks in the glue for the handle. But its Still pretty cool for the price
on April 5, 2015
Very nice knife, shipped quick! Wood and bronze finish is really slick..fits description.
Haven't put it to use much but looks like the quality is good.

For those who are interested in dimensions, as I always am, see below...
Very Big!! Blade is 8-5/8" lg from bolster and knife is 14-1/4" lg (15-3/8" in sheath) -Tip to handle
Blade Width - 2", Handle Width - 1-1/2", Visual the tang is about 1" Wide x 3-1/4" lg (bolster to second rivet), Bolster dimensions 3-1/2" x 3/4"
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 24, 2013
I bought one of these for my daughter several years ago. It's not top of the line, but it has endured many camping and hiking trips, service as a machete, assistant wood chopper, and camp food preparer and it is still going strong. My daughter is not big on looking after knives, so I am glad this knife is in stainless steel. It has resisted rust all these years despite our wet climate. I keep it sharpened for her, and it holds an edge acceptably well and the hard stainless steel presents no great problem to sharpen. I just use Japanese waterstones on it.

I don't think it has a full tang--it feels much too light in the hilt, but it's solid enough. It's not pro-equipment, and I personally wouldn't use it on my bush treks, but for the low price, for the average light user, it's not bad.
on July 23, 2014
Probably one of the best bowie knives i've ever bought in my life and i buy alot. Dont be fooled by the wood, as it makes it lighter and better grip while still being durable. This is razor sharp and can cut flesh at any moment
on December 11, 2014
Super awesome. Well crafted. Sheath is lined with nylon so there is no fear of cutting through it. I would recommend this as a hunting knife for sure!
on September 25, 2014
Worth every penny, the blade is extremely sharp and longer than i expected very well made product. I ordered 2 of them as presents for family members.
on April 16, 2014
I had to test this knife in a survival situation when I managed to briefly get stranded during a winter hunting trip in Northern Ontario. It was my only implement for shelter building, trail blazing, and game preperation. It did it's job better than expected. If you are someone who uses a knife as a tool that you expect to punish, you can't beat this for function versus price. it's a tough knife, yet You don't have to cry if you break it or drop it in a lake. I liked it so much I ordered a second one just in case. It's sharp out of the box and very light for its size. Only complaint is the wood grip, while comfortable, seems to degrade quickly and soak up grime and moisture (I grip taped mine for longevity) and the stitching on my sheath fell apart, but like I said, I was pretty rough with it.

See 1 answered question