Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Love_Simon sports Tools

Customer reviews

The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection: Volume 1 & 2
Format: DVD|Change

on March 13, 2017
For a collection of 1950s sci-fi that will bring back a lot of memories, this is the one you want. Many of these I have not seen since I was about 10 years old and it's pretty amazing how much of the movies stuck with me. These movies have really been cleaned up and none of them have the scratches and dust marks one associates with movies from the 50s played on late night TV. They all looked great and I give them 10/10 for that.
A few of the titles I had never seen before and a couple of them were not so great.However, "Tarantula" (with an uncredited role played by Clint Eastwood), "The Monolith Monsters", "The Incredible Shrinking Man" and "The Deadly Mantis" are worth the price right there. "Dr. Cyclops", "The Land Unknown" and "The Leech Woman" were new to me, but not too bad. The others, meh, not so great, but still kind of fun to watch.
I'd wager if you're nearing 60 you've seen some of these before and seeing them again will definitely take you back.
on May 24, 2015
This is a collection of ten sci-fi/horror movies mostly from the 1950's, though "The Leech Woman" is from 1960, and "Dr. Cyclops" is from 1940. This is a decent and varied collection of sci-fi movies with some classics like "The Incredible Shrinking Man", and giant creatures as in "The Deadly Mantis". The quality of the these movies is excellent with deep blacks and contrast, though there is dust on the prints.
on January 5, 2017
Super retour dans le temps de mon ado.A+++
on August 25, 2017
The quality is as expected. They bring back fond childhood memory. I'd recommend it!
on April 17, 2014
I grew up watching these movies. They were scary and exciting and we didn't care if they were in black & white.
One person found this helpful
on September 11, 2008
This collection came along at the right time I was considering spending the money to get the two sets by themselves (their cost is through the roof $300 if you can find a copy of vol 1.) I'm fairly new to the genre of old Sci-fi and horror. This set will give you 10 great movies for an asome price. All films were nicely transfered to dvd, sharp and clear for the most part, packaging was nice and the menus quick to use. Some of these movies can't be found on dvd (at least anywhere I looked except for some pirated versions) It's worth it just to get The Incredible Shrinking Man and The Land Unknown. I strongly urge you to run out and get this set.
10 people found this helpful
on January 12, 2013
this compilation exceeded my expectations - really good selection of campy sci fi movies that were better than I expected !
on March 6, 2010
I grew up in the 1950's and '60's, and for me the best part of my youth was either going to the movies or watching Science Fiction Theater every Friday night at 11:30. This boxed set of ten films distills the best of the best of the treasures aired every Friday. The Incredible Shrinking Man was the first film I saw as a youngster that actually made me sit back and think about the world a little. Tarantula was just great fun. The Monolith Monsters is still a favorite, with no scary monster per se, just towering rocks, but still made for a frightening situation. The Land Unknown has some pretty hokey dinosaurs, but reeks of atmosphere which pretty much makes up for them. The others were all fun films with one exception: Monster On The Campus, the only film I ever saw on television that actually scared me! (I think I was eleven at the time!) At any rate, this collection brings back all of the best memories of my youth and re-creates some of my fondest memories. The set is very attractively packaged, and the films themselves are shown in their correct aspect ratios. It's nice to see the trailers for them included as well. The price is a bargain. If 50's and 60's sci-fi is your pleasure, don't miss this excellent collection.
7 people found this helpful
on May 23, 2009
Well here is the DVD set for the Die Hard Sci-Fi flicks of the Golden Age of Paranoia. Here are a few of my Favorites...The Incredible Shrinking Man handles the idea of shrinking and the problems it would create, the obligatory spider fight scene close to the end is tedious but the closing is surprising and thoughtful (written by Richard Matheson). Dr. Cyclops is a big budgeted effort which shows it, in color too(the only one that is). Deadly Mantis, well this was the one I bought the set for mainly and was not disappointed, dumb joke - ending which hurt the movie. Tarantula, well this one was a big hit but is a dud to me. Monster on Campus is a good B effort. The rest I don't remember or don't want to. But a handful are thoughtful and/or entertaining.
on June 30, 2014
Great combination of old sci-fi movies, at a great price. I will serious buy more sci-fi and mystery collections in the future.
One person found this helpful