countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Color: La Crosse Technology|Change

on July 22, 2016
It is a nice-looking device. Two stars for the large display. Alas, I'm seriously annoyed right now, as this device single-handedly destroyed a day's worth of work...waiting weeks for just the right conditions to occur.

I needed a simple, digital thermometer. Nothing too fancy. The fact that this one had a large display was ideal, as I bought it to create visual representations of temperature rise and fall in interior spaces, based on various factors. No scientific experiments, or anything like that. Just basic temperature recordings. The fact that it allowed for an on-screen comparison of indoor and outdoor temperature made it even more ideal, as did the clock.

Well, the thing is a pain to sync with its outdoor sensor. I tried, for ages, today, to get it to work. (It lost sync just before I began. The exterior sensor is <50' away, with no obstruction other than a single pane of glass next to the device.) Multiple attempts failed to get it to sync, as happened when I first set it up. Images with both the exterior and interior temperatures displayed on one screen, simultaneously, was what I was hoping for. I tried and retried. The manual indicates one must remove the batteries from both the remote sensor and the device, press any button 20 times, and wait 15 minutes, in order to restart. I tried that, too. I've waited and waited. ...Hours. Restarting and restarting. Waiting and waiting. Nothing. Then, to top it all off, as the experiment time-frame was almost exhausted, I gave up and decided photos and video of just the interior temperature was satisfactory (I'd crop out the bottom part of the display, and simply indicate the exterior temperature), just so the whole day wouldn't be a complete bust. About 10 minutes later, though, I was forced to end the experiment before I could even get my first reading recorded.

So frustrating. ...All because the thing simply wouldn't sync.

I believe just about any other thermometer would've worked for me today. Sadly, I chose to buy this one, and it completely failed me. Who knows when these same weather conditions will occur again, or if I'll have the ability to do these recordings on those days? (I'd been waiting and waiting for a day like today, with temperatures over 37C.) What a waste of my time.

I had such hope for this device. (Attached is an image of the device sitting in front of me right now, more than an hour after the last failed restart attempt; still not syncing.) Disappointing, to say the least. As such, I wouldn't, in good conscience, recommend this device for anything other than straightforward temperature display of the place the device has been sitting for several minutes. But there are hundreds of those kinds of thermometers at much lower prices. (This device also takes a fair bit of time to adjust the display when moved to a different location. Not, in any way, an instantaneous temperature reading.)
review image
on June 14, 2015
Very useful and convenient for remote monitoring temperatures in 3 locations including fridge and freezer. Large clear digital clock and temperature display. Records minimum and maximum temperatures for 24 hour period. Saves many times the price of unit in heating costs. Useful for gardening to monitor overnight frost levels. Step saver to check temperatures upstairs and in basements. Wireless connection.
on October 5, 2013
Left a la crosse digital thermometer in my last home that was just sold. Missed knowing the outside temperature. This one is considerably better than the last one as the numbers are more than twice as big. Great for old tired eyes..lol...thanks for reading
on June 1, 2016
I use this thermometer to tell me how hot it is inside my car so I know if my dog is safe. I just pop the remote sensor into her crate and take the main unit with me. It gives me peace of mind to know she is resting comfortably if I need to be away from the car for any length of time.
on January 7, 2014
I was a little dubious that this would work in the real cold, and about its range through walls, but it works great. This might be because I used premium Li batteries in the remove sensor. It has been -30 C for quite a few mights lately and this thermometer has not had a problem. With regard to range, the thermometer is about 35' from the base unit and the signal must go through through an outside wall and a garage wall. No problem even on the cold nights. Be aware that this unit displays a 12-hour clock and Fahrenheit, or a 24-hour clock and Celsius. Since I prefer the 24 hour clock and Celsius, that was fine for me.
on August 28, 2014
I had to receive a replacement. The first shipment did not read the outdoor temperature and was shipped. The second shipment is working fine. I had a similar unit from the same manufacturer before, and the outdoor sensor stopped sending the signal in winter, even after I put a new set of batteries.... weak design?
on January 2, 2016
Great! Bought this for my chicken coop and it's worked perfectly! My coop sits up to 130 feet from the house (it's movable) and so far there's been a perfect temperature reading the whole time no matter where in the yard we've moved the coop. Excellent for watching over my birds in the winter months.
on February 6, 2016
Purchased for my father 80+ years. I would recommend upgrading to weather station via your PC/wifi however, my father doesn't have service :) Big display is great. Outdoor sensor mount pretty easy and connectivity no issue. Only drawback, standard clock displays with F measurement. Celsius will only display 24hr clock. Not good for us Canadians. Again, fine for dad as he still works in degrees F :)
on August 2, 2015
Although I have only had this unit for a few weeks, it has completely met my expectations to date. I really like the fact that you can switch between multiple sensors. Time will tell if it is reliable over the long haul.
on December 27, 2015
The the remote sensor appears to be very accurate. The display has large numbers, and the contrast between the numbers and the background is excellent; allowing me to see the outside temperature at a glance from a significant distance.