countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports tools

Colour: La Crosse Technology|Change

on October 5, 2013
Left a la crosse digital thermometer in my last home that was just sold. Missed knowing the outside temperature. This one is considerably better than the last one as the numbers are more than twice as big. Great for old tired eyes..lol...thanks for reading
on January 7, 2014
I was a little dubious that this would work in the real cold, and about its range through walls, but it works great. This might be because I used premium Li batteries in the remove sensor. It has been -30 C for quite a few mights lately and this thermometer has not had a problem. With regard to range, the thermometer is about 35' from the base unit and the signal must go through through an outside wall and a garage wall. No problem even on the cold nights. Be aware that this unit displays a 12-hour clock and Fahrenheit, or a 24-hour clock and Celsius. Since I prefer the 24 hour clock and Celsius, that was fine for me.
on July 22, 2016
It is a nice-looking device. Two stars for the large display. Alas, I'm seriously annoyed right now, as this device single-handedly destroyed a day's worth of work...waiting weeks for just the right conditions to occur.

I needed a simple, digital thermometer. Nothing too fancy. The fact that this one had a large display was ideal, as I bought it to create visual representations of temperature rise and fall in interior spaces, based on various factors. No scientific experiments, or anything like that. Just basic temperature recordings. The fact that it allowed for an on-screen comparison of indoor and outdoor temperature made it even more ideal, as did the clock.

Well, the thing is a pain to sync with its outdoor sensor. I tried, for ages, today, to get it to work. (It lost sync just before I began. The exterior sensor is <50' away, with no obstruction other than a single pane of glass next to the device.) Multiple attempts failed to get it to sync, as happened when I first set it up. Images with both the exterior and interior temperatures displayed on one screen, simultaneously, was what I was hoping for. I tried and retried. The manual indicates one must remove the batteries from both the remote sensor and the device, press any button 20 times, and wait 15 minutes, in order to restart. I tried that, too. I've waited and waited. ...Hours. Restarting and restarting. Waiting and waiting. Nothing. Then, to top it all off, as the experiment time-frame was almost exhausted, I gave up and decided photos and video of just the interior temperature was satisfactory (I'd crop out the bottom part of the display, and simply indicate the exterior temperature), just so the whole day wouldn't be a complete bust. About 10 minutes later, though, I was forced to end the experiment before I could even get my first reading recorded.

So frustrating. ...All because the thing simply wouldn't sync.

I believe just about any other thermometer would've worked for me today. Sadly, I chose to buy this one, and it completely failed me. Who knows when these same weather conditions will occur again, or if I'll have the ability to do these recordings on those days? (I'd been waiting and waiting for a day like today, with temperatures over 37C.) What a waste of my time.

I had such hope for this device. (Attached is an image of the device sitting in front of me right now, more than an hour after the last failed restart attempt; still not syncing.) Disappointing, to say the least. As such, I wouldn't, in good conscience, recommend this device for anything other than straightforward temperature display of the place the device has been sitting for several minutes. But there are hundreds of those kinds of thermometers at much lower prices. (This device also takes a fair bit of time to adjust the display when moved to a different location. Not, in any way, an instantaneous temperature reading.)
review image
on October 24, 2016
Very easy to read, only problem I have encountered is with the remote sender unit at lower temperatures it jumps up and down about 4 degrees until the temp gets higher, Have inquired about this to Lacrosse, but so far have heard nothing. I run it in 24 hour clock mode to get readings in Celsius, there is no option to get 12 hour clock in Celsius, possibly a design fault as not everyone is comfortable with a 24 hour clock when everything else in the house is 12 hour clock......... It must be designed for military use.
on April 3, 2016
Works as described.
BUT 2 problems with the use interface
1) the minus sign for negative temperatures is very small and flush left in the display. Hard to read.
2) the designers of this device were one-button short of a useful user interface.
The same button is used to select between Farenheit and Celsius AND between a 12-hour or 24-hour clock.
So one has to choose between
a) temperature in Farenheit and a 12-hour clock
or
b) temperature in Celcius and a 24-hour clock
on October 18, 2011
Perfect is the right title. Cheap, easy to install,works like a charm. I have had it for 2 months an I do not know how long the batteries last yet. Talking about batteries, it may be a small inconvenience. You need to go buy 2 different type of alkaline batteries (2xAA and 2 X AAA) to make it work.
on August 28, 2014
I had to receive a replacement. The first shipment did not read the outdoor temperature and was shipped. The second shipment is working fine. I had a similar unit from the same manufacturer before, and the outdoor sensor stopped sending the signal in winter, even after I put a new set of batteries.... weak design?
on November 12, 2016
Great thermometer, the only downside is that when you choose the Farhreneit option, your time is displayed in the 12 hour format and Celsius gives you the 24 hour format. The time selection option should be separate from the temperature option.
on January 23, 2017
Seems to work great...once it is initialized. The directions (including the online help from the factory) emphasizes aspects that are not obvious from the enclosed written directions -- such as that it is required that you put the batteries in the wireless unit *before* putting the batteries in the main display unit. If you don't do that, you have to start all over again, and the directions are a bit coy about what this means. It means to remove all batteries from both units and this time put them into the wireless unit first, and to press the reset button "at least 20 times" (according to the factory help video) before restarting the display unit.
on June 14, 2015
Very useful and convenient for remote monitoring temperatures in 3 locations including fridge and freezer. Large clear digital clock and temperature display. Records minimum and maximum temperatures for 24 hour period. Saves many times the price of unit in heating costs. Useful for gardening to monitor overnight frost levels. Step saver to check temperatures upstairs and in basements. Wireless connection.