countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

on March 12, 2016
Amazing product. I own one of the larger (6 inch) GPS models, and have had no issues with the friction mount slipping.

It's great to be able to place this on my dashboard rather than on the window.
- Doesn't block my line of sight
- Lets me input the address etc. more easily, as it is closer to me
- Easier to take the GPS off and store it in my glove compartment when I exit the car (don't give people another reason to break into your car)

Great build quality. I would definitely recommend this to anyone over a window mount.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 26, 2016
Absolutely a must have with your Garmin. On my 4th Nuvi but this is my first alternate way of using one. The portability factor makes me wish I had bought one of these years ago. Lets face it eventually the window mount suction cup becomes frustrating. Get one now you will be happy you did.
on August 17, 2012
Excellent product for those who don't want to stick suction cups to their window. Those things fall off in high heat, anyway.

My dash is probably not the best for this product since it is slanted and slippery. Yet the mount stays on! Please note that it does shift a little over long periods of time, but it has never fallen off.

The best thing about it is you can now easily reach the screen keys to type in your destination.
on November 6, 2013
This is a great GPS mount. I can toss the GPS in the mount onto the dash where I want and tilt, twist, angle it to where I want. It stays put even on hard cornering or braking. I particularly like that when I go in shopping I can pick the GPS and mount off the dash and stuff it under my seat so it's not tempting to steal. I took off one star because you need the C-shaped plastic part that holds onto your GPS. It pushes onto the ball on the mount. Garmin does not seem to sell these, but you can find them on eBay.
on June 29, 2016
I also wrote a review for the Garmin nuvi 2589 GPS unit. This portable friction mount is just wonderful. The unit stayed motionless all journey. Then at the end of the journey was able to, quickly, stow it away. My dashboard stayed nice and clean ... thanks Garmin!
on July 18, 2012
I am very impressed. I bought it because my car dash is rounded and is full of curves and bumps and it very surprisingly sits almost anywhere in the car. Highly recommended!
on July 1, 2010
This is a excellent product. It sits firmly on the dash and supports the GPS without wobbling. Also it holds the unit at an excellent level to allow you to glance over without totally disengaging your eyes from the road.

To compare, I also bought a unit which clips onto an air vent. Great idea but didn't work for me. It couldn't be made to clip firmly thus the GPS wiggled with driving motion. This made it difficult to see details. And the air-vent positioning in my car was lower on the dash (i.e. radio-dial level) which meant I had to disengage my eyes fully from the road to see it. Made the friction mount look like a million dollars in comparison.

When I was researching, I noticed some comments about the friction mount moving in an accident. That's true but so will the GPS in whatever little plastic clip device you use. When your air bags deploy, the GPS will be the least of your problems!!

And another point, when you (at a complete stop of course!)need to change or re-program, the whole installation is easy to lift down, change, and set back. No unclipping and clipping etc.

Finally, I have an arm rest container between the front seats. When I park, in 10 seconds the whole kit-and kaboodle (GPS, mount, and cord)are out of sight with no tell-tale clips or mounts left behind.
on August 6, 2012
This appears to do what it claims. It stays in place on the dash, does not leave telltale signs like the window mount and is easily removed and hidden from view.
on May 12, 2012
We purchased the Garmin Mount for our trips to Arizona and Italy this year - for use with rental cars. We have a built in GPS in our Toyota. The original Garmin suction holder is such a nuisance because it is very difficult to affix to the windshield and then it falls off easily. The Friction Mount is very easy to set up and is very stable. It works like a charm, as per the earlier reviews on Amazon.com. So pleased to have found it. Would definitely recommend to others - and is only approx $20.
on May 23, 2016
Excellent unit. Bought it for an ETrex 20 that I use when fly-inn fishing. No suction cup mount here! The actual mount clicks in nice and solid and the base stays put on the boat seat in rough water. Absolutely indispensable for holding up units while boating (or any travel for that matter). Also tested it in my pick up and it stayed firmly in place with the ETrex on it. As usual, Garmin quality and design come through.... Another little bonus is using it when updating any unit on your PC/Laptop and using it in the house to input trips/routes/coordinates. It keeps the unit upright facing you instead of having to lay it down and this is good for units that have the USB port on the back of the unit.