countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports tools Registry

Color: With Tote and Bonus 350 Micro Filters (700 Total)|Change

on September 2, 2011
There seem to be several Aeropress entries here in Amazon.ca but all of them are just slightly different packages with some extras. This review is about the Aeropress itself and the coffee it makes.

I have been using this "gadget" exclusively to make my morning coffee for 2 years now and I can say without any reservation that this makes coffee that is at least as good as what you get from your favorite barista if not better. The defining characteristic of coffee brewed this way is that you get full flavour without the extra acidity and bitterness other methods produce.

At first glance this gadget looks like a slightly modified french-press with the addition of a filter and in a way it is. You can probably achieve similar results if you use a french press and then filter but not as easily and conveniently as you can with the Aeropress with its measure markers and syringe-like pressure extractor... and making coffee with this or any other method is all about the extraction.

Quote from Wikipedia: "The AeroPress is a device invented in 2005 that combines steeping and pressure. Hot water is poured onto ground coffee, similarly to a French press, but soon after the coffee is forced through a paper microfilter using pressure. This filter allows a finer grind and removes more of the sediment than the stainless steel mesh filter of a French press."

I have learned over time that it pays to follow the enclosed instructions and the closer you are to doing it the recommended way, the better your coffee will be. Here's what I do:

1. I use freshly ground Espresso (or a similar dark coffee like French roast... it also works well with lighte roasts so don't be afraid to experiment) ground in a burr grinder. (In my case I use the Breville Conical Burr Grinder BCG450XL which I find to be the most reliable and easy to maintain burr grinder...I've used several.)

2. I use water at the recommended temperature: definitely NOT boiling water. I use a Cuisinart CPK-17C Programmable Kettle set to 170° with just enough water for quicker heating. You could also use a cheaper kettle or microwave to do this by timing and taking the temperature until you figure out the time required to achieve 170°... I just find the programmable kettle simpler.

3. I set my timer (my microwave sits just above my coffee station so no sweat) for 1 minute, pour THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF WATER as marked on the Aerobie, start the timer, stir with the included paddle for 15 seconds and when the timer goes off, I push the plunger to complete the extraction. Note: a small amount of gravity-fed extraction has already happened through the filter before you push the plunger. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

4. You can either drink this extraction as a delicious espresso-like brew or, as I typically do, convert it to an Americano by adding just enough water.

I typically grind 2 scoops (included scoop) of beans for my mugs but this is something you'll need to adjust for yourself based on your personal preference--I like a strong cup.

You may be skeptical (as I was at first) but this contraption is cheap enough that I thought it was worth a try. I used the same amount of coffee and same amount of water and brewed a mug using my old drip coffee maker and the Aerobie and then tasted them both: the difference was like night and day and I was immediately convinced.

My apologies for the length of this review but this little gadget is worth reviewing well. I hope my tips above help you use it to its full advantage.
on October 4, 2014
If you're even considering this product, just buy it!!! I just received it after wasting about a month of debating (don't even know why). The only thing I'm mad about now is that I could have added another month of my life enjoying the best coffee I've ever had!!! It is truly the easiest and fastest way to enjoy a quality cup of Esspresso or coffee! Unbelievable flavour and it's extremely easy to clean. It's amazing how such a simple process by a very inexpensive product can produce such a great start to your day. The item was delivered faster than expected by Amazon, which is no surprise. I'm telling you, don't waste another moment. You will be amazed!
on February 3, 2016
I use my Aeropress nearly every day. It makes an incredibly smooth rich cup of coffee!! One thing I love about it is that it takes around 5 minutes to make a cup of coffee. The Aeropress is incredibly easy to use, and clean up takes under a minute. The Fine Mesh Brass Filter is also great. It does not alter the flavour of the coffee. I would highly recommend the Aeropress! If you pick one up try the "inverted" method. It takes a little longer, but you'll get a stronger, bolder cup. :)
on September 26, 2011
Saw a young man using this in Algonquin Park last year and since we live in an area of Ontario that is subject to power outages during storms, I wanted to see if this would provide good coffee without electricity. I was so amazed by the quality of the coffee produced by this coffee press, I have given one to my sister-in-law for her birthday and one to each of my kids in college. My sons appreciate the quality of the coffee and I appreciate a coffee maker that doesn't involve a heating element that they might forget to turn off.

This is a win-win coffee maker!
on August 16, 2011
Makes delicious coffee. Highly recommended.

Pros:

* minimal, spare styling
* efficient, innovative mechanism
* creates unusually and unexpectedly tasty coffee
* filters are very cheap, and are reusable
* comes with a funnel (reduces coffee-ground mess), and a spoon-wedge-thingy (for both cleanup and measurement)
* sturdy construction will last longer than I will.
* once you know how you like your coffee, it reproduces a specific flavour with more precision than a Bodum, and leaves less coffee oil in the coffee than a Bodum.
* comes with a lid that's convenient for making cold-brewed coffee in your fridge overnight (google it, it's delish!)

Cons:

* Is this food-safe plastic? Sort of felt a lot like old-school Nalgene plastic. Oh well, 30s of exposure to miniscule amounts of BPA in the worst case is harmless, and it's almost certainly not BPA-contaminated because it's being sold in Canada, and that would be illegal. So this is me just being a worry-wart.

* Obviously, as with a Bodum, coffee water must be heated beforehand. Kettle works, but if you're fussy about coffee, you should get some heating magigger that has a configurable temperature, because coffee flavour is highly sensitive to water temperature. (Too far above 85C and it'll begin tasting more bitter.) I happen to have a very nice Tiger water boiler that can be set to whatever temperature I please, and I geek out at getting to try different temperatures, beans, amounts of coffee, and 'soak time' (how long you leave the hot water in the tube before pressing it through the coffee)

* Um... it's not free? ;-)
on August 9, 2013
This unit is easy to use and clean compared to our old French press. The micro filter ensures there is no grit. If you are concerned about the oils being absorbed by the paper filters, these are third parties that sell stainless steel disks that are compatible.

We also unplugged and gave away our old $130 coffee machine as this unit produces a good amount of coffee very quickly, and since you only make what you drink, it reduces the waste.
on August 11, 2015
i got tons of use out of this on a daily basis. Only complaint is that the plunger definitely loosens up a lot over time - which changes the flavor of the brew. ALSO: just as a note - you really only get one use out of each serving. i tried a couple times to make two cups (to fit in a larger mug etc) and when you pull up on the plunger it tends to move the filter and you end up ejecting grounds into your coffee after!! (so dont do that...)

look into buying a reusuable filter. you can find them on amazon or elsewhere.
on June 16, 2016
Après avoir lu tous les commentaires et revues du produit, j'espérais quelque chose de vraiment transcendant. Cependant le café produit est très bon mais n'arrive pas à la cheville de mon Aroma Saeco. Je devrai sans doutes faire quelques test de mouture ou de mélange de café afin de découvrir le bon équilibre.
on December 24, 2014
My french press broke so I decided to try something new. And I'm glad I did.
This AeroPress makes very good coffee, easy to use, easy to clean.
I only worry about the fact that it's made of plastic...
on November 6, 2012
When it comes to coffee, I was always searching for the best coffee taste and my search evolved between trying different coffee machines, different coffee beans, coarse vs regular coffee and so on... Until I read a review online about the AeroPress system and decided to spend 40 bucks on it. I can easily say, those are the best 40 bucks I spent to date on coffee machines, this is the best and easiest way to make the best tasting coffee ever!! It's very very close to espresso machines, without paying thousands of dollars, and best of all, no electricity needed, super fast cleaning (less than 30 seconds to clean it all), very fast to prepare (heat water in a kettle before, and it takes less than a minute for your coffee to be fully ready (adding cream and sugar time included). I own a high quality coffee machine, a french press, and now I'm not using them anymore. And the best of all, this AeroPress comes with a nice zipper bag, and I take it with me when I travel. Absolutely portable and you have your own amazing coffee anywhere anytime! And it's made in the U.S.A., not even in China (with respect to Chinese made products). I definitely recommend it, especially if you want to give it as a gift.