Format: DVD|Change

on September 18, 2010
I've been doing yoga for 22 years, but I'm not a purist. If you're used to true yoga (and kind of precious about it!), you may be frustrated by this workout. If you're familiar with yoga (beginner-intermediate level) and want a "power" version of it - more cardio, more reps - you'll like this DVD. I wouldn't call it a "meltdown" but it's definitely "power" [yoga].

There are 2 x 30 minute workouts, Level 1 and 2. I found little difference in challenge between the two, actually, and do both back-to-back, despite the cool down and warm up twice over. As with all Jillian's DVDs, she offers ways to increase and decrease your level of intensity throughout. My only criticism of these workouts is I found that, after a few weeks and after the workouts became less challenging, I reached for them less and less often - which is not the case with some of her other DVDs (Hard Body, Ripped in 30). I don't think this is her strongest effort, but I do think it's a worthwhile DVD for anyone looking to try something new or curious about yoga - a ramped up version of it. If you are beginner or intermediate level in exercise, you will get a very good workout. If you are closer to intermediate-advanced, skip this - you will not be challenged enough. (Try her Extreme Shed & Shred DVD instead.)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 10, 2010
This is a really good yoga workout if you're looking to lose weight and tone your body. There are two 30 minute sections, so you can do one or both, if you want a longer workout. It's not easy, but it's effective. I am new to yoga and I found it easy to follow, Jillian is a great instructer and explains the moves efficiently, and also offers modified versions of the more difficult moves. Even after only a few times with this workout, I have noticed that I am stronger and moves that I was unable to do for more than a few seconds are now becoming easier. I can definately feel my body changing and it's a great feeling. I have Jillians other dvds and this is a definate favourite.
on March 8, 2011
If you are looking for a DVD to learn traditional yoga I suggest you look elsewhere. This is not it. This is a workout DVD.

First off, for anyone who is a serious yoga practitioner and bought this DVD, I think it should have been VERY obvious that this was NOT going to be real yoga. I mean, come on, it's Jillian Michaels! Were you really expecting traditional yoga? Being a former yoga practitioner (Ashtanga and Hatha) for several years, when I first saw this DVD I knew that this was going to be a workout and NOT the yoga I used to practice, without even reading any reviews or information on it. It was just so obvious, especially for anyone who knows anything about Jillian Michaels. If anything, I think the whole point of her creating this DVD was so that it wouldn't be traditional yoga.

That said, I have been working out with JM's other dvds for a while now and this one is definitely at a slower pace and not typical JM. However, even after working out with her other DVDs which are at a much higher intensity, I still sweat like crazy and am shaking through most of her "yoga" circuits becuase she is approaching the muscle groups from a different angle. I find this DVD great for in-between high-intensity workout days, but still allowing me to be challenged using a whole different workout method.

Basically, JM takes traditional yoga moves but spins them around to make you feel the burn. For example, instead of (in traditional yoga) going into warrior II and holding for x amount of time, you will be popping in and out of the movement turning it into a sort of side lunge, and then hold in place for 15 seconds. Another example would be chaturanga push-ups...brutal!

Overall, I think this DVD is a good workout, but should not be your primary source of exercise. I think she did the best she could to turn yoga into a workout and actually burn a few calories. I gave this DVD 4 stars in relation to how I feel she succeeded in making yoga a WORKOUT, and not in comparison to her other DVDs (which will give you much more of an overall workout and cardio) or traditional yoga DVDs.
on September 6, 2013
This is a great DVD. Jillian takes yoga poses and adds reps to them to make it more aerobic and then gets us to hold the pose for 15 seconds.

It's about a half hour so it won't take up too much time! Can't argue with that. There's a warm up and a cool down. However the cool down does not stretch your arms or your shoulders so I usually add that on the end and I would recommend that just because there are lots of downward dogs and planks done.

Is it traditional yoga? No. But I wasn't expecting that. She even explains it in her little intro at the beginning of the workout.

Is it challenging? That depends on how much you push yourself. She offers a beginner version of the pose and a more advanced version. That's what's great about having a yoga/body weight based workout...there is always a modification! I'm of the opinion that you should always try to do the more advanced version (at least once. but only after you've gone through the DVD at least once already to understand form) unless it killing you or you know that you cannot do it...and then work your way up to it.

I own a few Jillian DVDs and I do find this one easier then her others but I am constantly surprised that by the end I've worked up a little sweat. I enjoy this workout and don't dread (perhaps that too harsh a word!) any of the exercises as I sometimes do for some of her other workouts......mountain climbers...ughhh hate them!

In my opinion, Level 1 and Level 2 are at the same difficulty level just different exercises done to work different muscle groups. For example after level one I can feel it more in my back the next day then I would after level 2. Or, Level 2 seems to have more core work then level one.

Overall, I really like this DVD and would recommend it...as long as you know what you are purchasing!
on November 20, 2012
This is a fantastic workout if you are looking for a change up to Jillian's usual dvds. I have been doing her 30 Day Shred and 30 Days to Ripped workouts but was looking for a change of pace to switch it up and after reading other good reviews on this dvd, I decided it might be just what I was looking for. It is definitely not a calming, relaxing yoga session but Jillian takes traditional yoga poses and methods and intensifies them so that you still feel like you challenged your body. It does get a little fast paced towards the end but if you have previously done yoga then you will have no trouble following along. For those who have never done yoga, after a couple of times you should be able to pick it up. This dvd worked muscles in different areas to the standard Jillian workout which was great and at the same time it provides some fantastic stretching moves. Definitely recommend!
on April 26, 2013
This is not the first dvd from Jillian that I own and used. I also have 30 day shred.

This one is different somehow in the tone Jillian have. She is less try to wanting you to give all that you've got. Instead, she is smiling, and wants you to give yoga a try.

There are 2 routines. I just did the first one, and it is 30 minutes long. The rythm is slow but constant, you practically never stop moving, but it is fluid, and you get to sweat.

If you are new to yoga, you will need to take your time to get some poses right. Some are not easy, but not too much either.

After the sessions, I felt energized.
I think it is a good complement to another training. This one explores different ways of getting in shape, got less impact but is a good workout. It is worth the price.
on October 30, 2010
I wouldn't recommend this yoga DVD. She admits yoga isn't her strong-suit in the video. You would be better off and would enjoy yourself far more using a traditional power yoga dvd. You feel uncomfortable with this one from start to finish. Even Jillian looks slightly uncomfortable from start to finish.
on March 27, 2010
Very good fitness DVD. This is not a simple yoga DVD, some very good moves for toning.
on February 10, 2013
I am a Jillian Michaels fan! I love her "Ripped in 30" and "30 Day Shred", and being a yoga fan I thought I might try her yoga video! It's a great video! It's not traditional yoga, though many positions are familiar, she adds repetitions in the poses for a cardio burn. There are two levels, but they are both challenging, even after doing this video for awhile, you still work up a sweat and feel a burn! But like her other videos, there is always a modifier. I definitely recommend this video, especially if you want to try something new to switch up your workout regimen.
on April 21, 2010
I am a personal trainer and wanted to follow a different trainer for a change and although there are some basic moves in this DVD the total overall work out is awsome! I highly recommend Jillian or Bob's video's.