countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports tools Registry

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on December 16, 2015
I absolutely love these movies, and this collection. If you're looking for Lord of the Rings on Blu Ray, this is the one you want! This collection includes the Extended Editions of each film, which gives you about 3 extra hours compared to the Theatrical Editions (each Extended Edition is approximately one hour longer than its corresponding Theatrical Edition). Each film is actually split up between two discs, so you'll have to change discs about halfway through each movie. But hey, it's just like having an intermission where you can stretch your legs and go get some food! Keep in mind the Theatrical Editions of these films are about 3 hours long each, so the Extended Editions are about 4 hours each. My collection arrived well-packaged and in great condition. One thing I would have liked better is if the outer box was a little more sturdy/solid - it is not as flimsy/weak as some collections I have purchased, but it is also not the best. But if it's just sitting on a shelf, it's not really a problem...if you were handling it a lot though, the box may come apart fairly easily/quickly.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 18, 2015
This is a must have collection for any LOTR aficionado. They have an excellent Bluray quality (video and sound) rendition of the films. The extras (DVD quality) are plentiful and interesting to follow.

I personally don't mind the fact that each part of the trilogy is split in 2 discs, as they each are long enough to require a bathroom/snack break in between.

The one thing I really dislike about this particular package is the amount of previews (a.k.a. garbage) at the beginning of each part. And the fact that there is no way to jump from there to the main disc menu (only by means of pushing the skip scene button many times). I can accept previews and other uninteresting material in rental discs, but not in a movie collection set like this one. A huge disappointment for this reason.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon November 1, 2015
It goes without saying that these movies are incredible. Much superior to 'The Hobbit' in my humble opinion. Watch the special features! Seeing the amount of work and effort that goes into bringing these movies and their costumes, props and worlds to life is well worth it and you're not going to be bored! Furthermore the cast features are hilarious and Elijah Wood and co, notably Viggo Mortensen and the duo of Dominic Monagan and Billy Boyd (Merry and Pippin) will have you rolling around in stitches wishing that you were part of their gang.

Beautiful movies, a wonderful cast and an experience that will stay with you a lifetime.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 21, 2015
Quick review on the packaging and up-scaling only...Most everyone has seen them by now. Great Trilogy!!!!

The complete set of everything including the washers for the kitchen sink in one box....
This is certainly the most compact way of buying it. All the appendices for each film fit into a single blu-ray case, and the three cases fit into the larger box. This is a great space-saver.

The movies are still good (and need no review here), and the up-scaling to HD isn't bad (honestly, I'm surprised it isn't significantly better). "Isn't bad" is all I'm willing to give the video quality as some of the darker scenes have become rather grainy, and every once in a while you'll get a couple of shots where everything seems to be soft-focus. Overall, the quality is above that of DVD, but well below that of the finer up-scaled movies on the market. The production is still reverse-letter-boxed.
Packaging 5 Stars
Up-Scaling 3 Stars
on December 9, 2015
Received this very well packaged and way ahead of scheduled delivery date. Very happy with this purchase. The packaging design to hold the dvds is lovely and complements the design of the Hobbit packaging designed to look like books. Very nicely done. Of course having seen the movies and supplementals before, I just wanted this set to complement the set of Hobbit dvds I just bought. Looks good in my bookcase, lol. Love these movies and watch them over and over. Wish I was an Elf myself!
on August 2, 2016
I have watched both versions and I love the added and extended scenes. I understand why some scenes weren't included in the original movie but I wish that most of them had been. They add more humor to the movie and explain some things that had to be figured out before. All Lord of the Rings fans should buy the extended version.
on August 13, 2016
I love all three movies, my all time favorite movie franchise. Each movie has 4 discs {2 for the movie and 2 for special features} The picture and sound quality, outstanding. The artwork has a sharp look, with golds and blacks and a textured feel. I liked it so much I bought 2.
on March 21, 2016
Movie series is fabulous, but this disc set is subpar. There is annoying flickering when watching via my blue ray player and ps3/4. You have to play with refresh rates on your players for a long time to make this viewable, and even with that the device can flicker.
on July 24, 2016
I love the visuals and the Blu Ray presentation does not disappoint! The sheer tonnage of extras can take longer to watch than the extended movies themselves, a wonderful treat for people who like to see all the ins and outs of movie making behind the scenes.
on January 9, 2015
What else can be said about the LOTR films?! I never tire from watching these, and now that I have them on bluray with even better picture and sound quality, I find myself watching them over and over again. Thank you Peter Jackson for your brilliant work on bringing these stories to life.