Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM home Kindle Paperwhite Vinyl Day sports Tools

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(3 star). See all 1,153 reviews
on May 20, 2014
I love the show and wish that it had not been cut short.

And I highly recommend this show to anyone.

The quality of the discs on the other hand was a very large disappointment to me.

The first disc was completely unplayable, and all three discs were very dirty, like someone had thrown them in the dirt before selling them.
on February 18, 2015
different
on September 25, 2017
Missing relevance
on July 8, 2014
Unfortunately the Special items advertised & mentioned on the flyleaf are not there -- perhaps the makers of the disc have saved them for the BlueRay version, but it is still misleading advertising. Not your doing, but you might consider making a note of this in your mention of the article. Otherwise OK.
on May 21, 2004
I should point out that my interest in science fiction, guns and blowing up stuff is limited. If it is cleaver, if the dialogue is snappy, if the characters are well-drawn, then I can get into it.
I do like Buffy, and Angel, on occasion (particularly this final season) is reasonably good. I figured that this series by the same creator might be very similar in mood.
The first episode, which took me two sittings before I could finish it (I fell asleep twice) was maybe 2 hours long. I don't know. It began with a battle scene, that made little sense to me, and then we actually get into the story, much of which also confused me.
Often for a series, with episode two, you often begin to see some potential, and with episode three, a good series can begin to hit some high notes. Well, I haven't gotten to episode 3 yet. Episode 2 was less boring than episode 1 (which I recommend you skip until later). But still, this is just moderately-interesting people in space with guns shooting other people who also have guns. I am assuming the genre's which are being mixed are sci fi and westerns.
If you are a sci fi fan, and you like star wars and star trek, then you'll probably like this. If you like to watch various groups of people shooting guns at each other while flying in space ships or after they have gotten out of their space ships, then this could be the series you have dreamed of. There is a plethora of gunplay, explosions and space ships. For some people, you couldn't ask for anything more from a series. There were all kinds of people who gave this series 5 stars. If you are not specifically a sci fi fan, then be forewarned, this may not appeal to you.
If you are looking for something as cleaver and insightful as Buffy could be (at its best), I haven't found that yet. If you are looking for a heated argument as to who would win in a fight, astronauts or cavemen, well, I haven't found that amusement level yet either. I've only watched 2 episodes, and I don't know if I am going to watch a 3rd. So, maybe it picks up and gets better? I may never know.
on June 24, 2004
Damn you Fox for cancelling this cool show! Shame on you for also cancelling John Doe! Please release John Doe on DVD ASAP!
on January 8, 2009
I've heared some people raving about this TV show since it came out on DVD. I got intrigued and decided to give it a try. I rented first three episodes and watched them. They were OK, but not so good to have me want to rent the remainig episodes. I'd say, if you have nothing better, go for it, but I did expect much more....
on January 11, 2017
Dvd intacts mais cofret brisé à la réception, série fantastique
on March 13, 2004
I caught only one episode of this show when it aired and didn't bother with it again (frankly, the prostitute character was what turned me off the first time around). Desperate for a scifi show, I thought I'd give it another chance and bought the series DVDs. What I got was a little bit of good (great writing and characters), the bad (the western riff is really tired. Hasn't anyone figured that out yet?), and the offensively ugly (the prostitute who spends time with both the guys and the gals-- yuck). To put this bluntly, there are precious few scifi shows out there, and I can't get into this one because I can't watch it with my kids. You screwed up on this one people, which was a shame. If you had cleaned up the act a bit, you might have had a better, and longer running, show. Fox did the merciful thing when they shot this pony in the head.
****edited March 18****
Ok, I wrote the above after watching all the episodes and coming away from the experience very, very frustrated with what might have been. On the one hand, this is a brilliant show, and it would have been a wonderful adventure getting to know more about the people, and their secrets, as they were revealed over time. On the other hand, the times the show crossed the line from edgy to offensive and salacious were a serious distraction from its strengths. For instance, the strongest episode by far was "Ariel", where the crew stage a heist at a medical facility while simultaneously helping Simon get his sister inside for badly needed testing for her deteriorating condition. It was pure storytelling at its best, without the sleazy stuff. Then there was the terrifying, and quirky, "Objects in Space". I still think about that episode, days after seeing it. Again, no sleaze. The weaker episodes were those that tried to distract the audience by including more objectionable material, a practice that only serves to draw attention to the script's flaws (usually a cliche or just plain boring story). Eventually this gets old and predictable. And I'm not just singling Firefly out, because this is a problem with other shows too.
This is what I'm trying to say: Mel Gibson proved that there is a huge audience who will pay big bucks for an intelligent, yet still controversial, film. If the producers of "Firefly" (more specifically, the upcoming movie "Serenity") want to give their project a chance to be successful, they should consider reducing the sleaze factor. I'm not saying scrub the show squeeky clean, but I am asking that it be toned down some so people like me will want to watch it. I'm sure there are _many_ more like me who would learn to love the show, and would be eager for a chance to explore more of the Firefly universe. If the producers will tone it down, I believe there's a better chance that opportunity will be there for us all.
on April 2, 2004
When this series aired, it showed instant promise.
Based on the premise that outlaying planets would have a rudimentary technology while those that plied the paths between them would necessarily need something more advanced the show blends the old frontier with the last frontier.
The cast was interesting and diverse. The interrelationships had the promise of developing fully. The writing was ecclectic and shied away from the formulaic preachy writing that too often characterizes (imperils?) popular science fiction. (Science Fiction serves best as a way of getting people to think in new ways, rather than as a propagandistic tool for the right or left.) It also shied away from the blaster-blazing non-stop string of explosions that undermines most low-budget sci-fi.
It should have been a bullseye or at least in the first ring.
And it wasnt.
The writers couldn't seem to keep themselves from interrupting the plot lines to snipe at religion by characterizing it as something to make others feel bad, hate crazed witch burners, and hypocritical phonies. If the show had been about the struggle against a religious oligarchy this would have been fitting and appropriate. As it was, it interrupted what might have been good writing with propagandistic sophomoric interpretations. The prejudices of the writers undermined the show with an irrelevancy.
A show might survive if the networks are convinced of its appeal (even if it has none). It might survive if the viewership ratings are high enough to overcome the network convictions. But it won't survive when it goes counter to the grain of the network while alienating the viewers and by doing this the arrow hit two rings off center.