Top critical review
14 people found this helpful
Terrible for coffee enthusiasts, good otherwise
on July 23, 2017
- Great grinder for filter coffee and french-press, for espresso (my main focus), I have to delve into more detail.
- Has a good (metal) burr grinder. (ceramic is better, in my opinion, but this grinder is definitely good enough)
- It's a little on the loud side, but I've never seen a silent coffee grinder.
- It's messier than other grinders I've used. The main problem being the accumulation of ground coffee in the ejection shoot, which falls out when you remove the grind container, thus falling around the machine.
ESPRESSO - lets talk
I'm a fan of coffee, especially espresso and lattes. This machine is disappointing in this area, though not for obvious reasons:
- It makes a sufficiently fine grind for a dual-wall (pressurized) basket.
- It cannot make a good espresso grind when using a single-wall (non-pressurized) basket.
HERE'S THE CATCH
This machine is capable of making grind nearly fine enough for Turkish coffee!
There is no physical limitation on grind size in regards to the finest "default" grind size on this machine. The problem is that Bodum engineered it in a way to limit the grind capacity and to be abhorrently painful to "improve".
After spending a painful 2 hours trying to open this machine (you wont be able to completely, it's glued) and studying the grind size control mechanism. I realized that a small plastic stopper was built in to the grinder mold. Removing it was also a painful experience. Once that was done, I closed everything up and VOILA! Great espresso grind. I suddenly had 4-5 more 'dots' of grind control on my machine.
- Great machine for people who aren't too fussy about their espresso.
- Terrible machine for coffee enthusiasts.
- Bodum engineered this machine to be less than it could be for no apparent reason. And they've willingly made it extremely painful to maintain / improve / fix.