Echo Spot fd18 boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite fd18 Tools

on March 21, 2016
With all the reviews that’s already here I though I would add some little Tid-Bits to this outstanding show, seeing
how all has rendered it the latter, I would like to mention some of the people I like the most, people like
Daisy (Sophie McShear) an Mary (Michelle Dockery) I wish I could just Hug Daisy she is such a loveably character
that will give you her most endearing attention an loyalty but don’t push her to the brink..she could snap back at you,
I just love her, an then there's Mary, a girl that’s strait-forward as an arrow an smart as a tubular blowing his horn,
an Dame Maggie Smith who can forget that loveably woman that I’ve seen so many times in countless movies an
TV. shows, these are some of the character I love, an how can I forget the ever presence of Penelope Wilton Mrs.
(Crawley) another woman that would fight tooth-an-nail with you, an win most of the time,
this is acting that’s way beyond the borders of just our lives, it’s the dignity of people in a time of desperate measure,
I’m on to season two 3/21/2016 now and I’m so looking forward to the rest which I think I will binge-watch,
Loveably Characters To Love..
on December 7, 2011
Here we have a magnificent period drama as only the English can produce it. Wonderfully written and directed with a superb cast of actors. There are seven episodes totalling more than six hours of entertainment, plus two documentary/interview sessions. The visuals are all excellent, from the opulent Highclere Castle, the kitchen and servants' quarters, to the lush green surroundings. Camera angles of the actors often add dramatic poignancy. The sound and music perfectly complement the dialogue and action.

The only complaint viewers are likely to have is that the end of the last episode leaves a number of loose ends which are left in tantalizing limbo. In fact we can look forward to at least two more seasons (and a Christmas Special) which will be broadcast on PBS and Vision TV and later be available on DVD as well. This series has received many awards and high accolades. A full write-up and list of cast is available on Wikipedia.
2 people found this helpful
on July 28, 2016
The DVDs are great.
Had few issues with season 6 not playing but shipper sent new series 6 it worked great thks.
3 people found this helpful
on February 13, 2017
of course the series itself is one of the best shows ever but....some of the dvds freezes then starts again and sometime you have to skip ahead a whole scene to continue watching. only watched season six so not sure if all the seasons are like this. disappointing as was looking forward to watching whole series again in the future some time.
on July 30, 2013
My wife and I have been really enjoying this series and the sense of period has been as well captured as the actors capture the first class acting and writing about those formative British years before WWI. It's true there is the occasional gaff with phrases used that would not have been current at the time but in general that's the biggest complaint we can come up with!

If you like quality soap operas with a wonderful sense of historicity; this is like the HBO production of ROME and more recently THE VIKINGS without the excessive violence, sex and nudity. "Not that there's anything wrong with that" [he wrote in the manner of Jerry Seinfeld].
on January 11, 2017
This didn't play on my DVD player. I'm questioning whether this product is genuine. I've never bought plagiarized DVD's before and I'm not sure if this authentic or not. Very disappointed as it was a Christmas gift for my parents
2 people found this helpful
on March 5, 2013
I never expected to like a period series like this. I am not a fan of Historic drama. I was immediately amused by all the rules of society and class in the early 1900s. It explained so much of why my parents' generation held such strong beliefs and were adamant in their judgements.
I have fallen in love with all the characters in Downton Abbey. The acting is superb, using subtle looks and gestures to convey a mood. There is much to laugh about and also many scenes that draw emotion. Just so many great relationships between characters. So many plot twists. The costumes are beautiful. Love how they all "dress" for dinner. I couldn't wait to watch the next episode, the next season.
on November 15, 2012
A marvelous series set pre the first world war. Two intertwined stories here wrapped around one household. Downstairs the servants live their own little world of intrigue. Upstairs the family live their cossetted life of luxury. The daughters are seeking their way as young adults. The family matriarch, the wonderful Maggie Smith, holds it all together by old values and an underlying common sense and humanity. A must watch.
on August 24, 2013
I've watched it already on TV, but the effect of sitting through this series several more times is a real treat. I enjoy this film mostly because it takes me to another time and place where life is so much more gracious on the one hand, but also where women are just to be pretty decorations. I particularly enjoyed watching the changes beginning to take place where the idea of just being is starting to change and the women are looking for ways to find more meaningful ways to exist in their world. Although change is starting there is much pressure for them to just find a husband, albiet one with adequate money and status to provide them with the life to which they have become accustomed and expect. I am grateful that the laws that required women to give their money to their husbands changed sometime when I was a young woman, but I do remember when we could not own anything including a credit card. A healthy reminder of the past, the pros and cons of life in the past.
on March 18, 2011
If you like period drama this is for you. I watched this on PBS and then immediately bought the dvds and now have watched it a total of three times. Each time I pick up something I previously missed. The acting is superb which is no doubt because of amazing casting. Each cast member actually becomes the character. Maggie Smith, as always, is incredible. I can't imagine anyone else in any of the roles.Hugh Bonneville is perfect for the part as the stallwart unbendable stubborn but sympathetic Englishman of the early 20th Century. I understand a second season is in production and I can't wait to see it. Everything is great in this series, an unexpected story line, love, intrigue, shame and tradition. This is a 2011 version of an Upstairs/Downstairs series. I highly recommend it!!!
One person found this helpful