countdown boutiques-francophones SubscribeAndSave Pets Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on November 25, 2011
This unit was recommended by a number of technical sites I researched as the number one choice for routers. Having used it for a month now wired to my main desktop and wireless to second desktop, laptop, tablet, iPhone and two wi-fi enabled Sharp televisions; not one dropped signal throughout a three-storey house with unit located in basement office. Can only say that the reviews I read were right; this is a teriffic router.
on January 6, 2012
Pro's:
Very easy to configure web interface
Very stable
Real N speed, extremely fast
Very good signal range and the boost configurable option works at perfection for large home
Nice design

con's:
Poor static IP adress interface, you can't name a device for wich you assign an IP, you can only see the MAC
slow refresh of the web interface when making changes to the configuration file
poor log file, not enough levels of details

bought 3 yet, one for my home, one for my mother and a third for a friend. I used to work with Linksys products but the Asus RT-N56U is way better than any other linksys AND DLink consumer product.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon February 5, 2016
Saving changes in the router's interface is a little slow, but other than this, it's got the best management UI that I have seen for a home router. Visually pleasing, organized nicely, and tons of features. It does not appear to include the OpenVPN server like the higher-end models do, but it does have a PPTP server, so you can connect to your LAN from the Internet, even if it is less secure. The MiniDLNA media server included seems to reindex everything every time it reboots, but at least it actually works (I had a lot of problems with the MiniDLNA server on a TP-Link router). It also has a telnet server, and the device is running a Linux 2.6 kernel. I'm unsure of what use this will be, beyond managing my files in a familiar command line method (I have run Linux exclusively since 2002), but I will certainly poke around some more. Dual USB 2.0 ports with Ext3 filesystem support, another feature the TP-Link did not have (NTFS makes me want to vomit). And the Samba server seems to actually work, again, unlike the TP-Link I was using. I hope that I run into no issues with it, as it works great so far!
on May 17, 2014
Use router for three weeks now and have not encountered any issue especially on movies download, Really consistent and reliable would have given it a five star if not for the slowness of my laptop. May not be the issue on the router but rather the lapt0p itself. Happy to purchase the router and quick delivery from AMAZON.
on July 10, 2012
Linux out of the box always a good thing! Router can be used to replace ISP supplied Fibre to the home solution routers, assuming your TV receivers can do Cat5E/6 for their connections. Used this to replace the Bell-Aliant Action Tech router that has the worse put together firmware I have ever scene. Go Bell Canada...

With the custom WAN interface options, for a Fibre to the home solution, all you need to know is what VLANs that your TV, Internet, and Phone run on. Ports 1 and 2 will be internet, 3 for phone and 4 is for your TV. Easiest router by far to use to replace the ISP solution's. Highly recommend as other solutions are not as easy to setup.
on April 21, 2013
I work for a major IT company and I do a lot of research before making any purchase for my home office/network. This router was rated very highly and all the reviews were excellent so I purchased it for my home. The unit was simple to use, easy to set up and was working n minutes. The wireless range is amazing and far better then my last d-link unit. I would recomment this unit to novices and experts alike. Great unit that meets or beats all expectations
on January 11, 2015
Bought to replace my ISP stock wireless modem/router. Rated as 2011's fastest router, I can see why. Dual band throws out a 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless signal so supplement all your wi-fi needs, while the hardlined gigabit ethernet ports do the rest.
Very easy to setup out of the box, included cd installation and instructions were very clear. Very friendly administration page; easy to navigate.
Had the router going now for two months and it has been solid - no dropped signals or stalls. Packet loss is very minimal.
Only thing I can think of that is that the USB file servers are a bit of a pain to setup. Your drives must be externally powered, so if you're looking to use a WD Passport or the like, think differently. They also must either be in FAT32 or exFAT; NTFS does not read as a logical partition in my tries. As long as you have a dedicated media server running on your network, this doesn't really matter anyway.
on September 3, 2015
Well I should have known this from the previous Asus router I had, but you can expect this to last the warranty period. After about 14 months, it started struggling to handle a constant 6 Mbps upload (I was uploading a lot of stuff). Basically appeared to be overheating (got very warm, and 5 minutes face down on a cold tile floor would cure it, versus just unplugging for 5 mins would not.). Started dropping packets like crazy. Was only running in access point mode and it still couldn't keep up--it would take like 2000 ms to respond to a local ping. Direct wired to my router ruled out anything else but the RT-N56u. Not what I expect from a router that advertises it's high throughout on the box versus other routers.
on January 6, 2012
I bought this to replace my old DIR-625. Immediately noticed greater speeds when surfing. No problems setting it up. Took all of 5 minutes to have the basic network going. Wireless signal is very good. iPad's run on the 5ghz side and ipods/iphones/laptop run on 2.4 no conflicts. I would recommend this product for sure over the current Linksys or Cisco items for home users.
on December 1, 2014
First off, routers need to be tested long term. Tons of routers work for a month then die out. I've had this for 18 months, and it has yet to drop the connection or disconnect EVEN ONCE.

Works beautifully. I wanted to set up wireless printing and wireless access to an external hard drive at home - does the job perfectly. Speed is excellent too. The dual band actually comes in pretty useful as I'm in an apartment and the walls sometimes don't let signals through that well, so I can choose the better frequency for shorter distances.

The black diamond look with a thin vertical structure is excellent too - doesn't take up that much space. A definite "would recommend!"