countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture All-New Kindle sports tools Registry

on February 27, 2014
Purchased for my husband as his first single blade razor. Needless to say he loves it and thinks it is much better than any (single, double, triple blade, etc) he has purchased in store. Also bought Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream and Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades based on the reviews posted on and I couldn't have been happier. I definitely recommend and also recommend checking out some videos on YouTube if you are nervous about using this razor or this type of razor for the first time.
on April 23, 2014
First of all, I have never used an electric razor, even though I grew up watching my Dad at his bedside each morning using his old General Electric. I've never used disposable blade razors either, knowing that there was no way I was going to get a good shave. So for the past three decades I have gone through a variety of razors -- single blade, Trac II, Schick Quad blade and based on the advertising all around me, believed that I was getting a 'close shave'. Now I know better after purchasing this Parker safety razor. I'll keep it simple: there is NO COMPARISON between the shave I get with this baby compared to any other blade shaver I've used. Add a shaving brush, some Proraso shave cream, and the willingness to spend 10 minutes in the morning on this ritual. 'Baby face' comes to mind with virtually no stubble. Add the fact that the razor blades themselves are dirt cheap and you've got a winner here. My one tip: let the weight of the razor do the job for you, on a 30 degree angle from your skin -- don't 'push' at your beard like you have with all your previous Bics and Schicks and Gillettes. You won't regret it!!
on June 7, 2016
Forever converted.

Got this raiser after I became fed up with the disposable type. Felt I was being ridiculously wasteful and throwing money away. Got this beauty and I'm so glad I went for the extended handle. The regular handle doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps my hands are larger than most or something, but this "extended" handle seemed to be what a typical person would want. The balance is great. So easy to change blades and a pleasure to use. I can't say enough good things about this. I don't feel like I'm wasting money or filling up a landfill with plastic razors anymore. Don't be fooled by the gimmicky 6 blade BS. 1 proper blade in this razor will give you the closest shave you have ever had. The blades seem to last way longer than the name brand gimmick ones as well. I change blades probably every 12-15 shaves. Sometimes earlier if I've gotten lazy for a few days.

Would never go back to the other. Ever.
on December 28, 2011
- Well weighted
- Well made - works well mechanically

- Handle not very grippy - especially when wet. I have to dry off the handle and my hands a few times.

Other comments:
- Handle was not as long as I expected, but this was my first razor so maybe this is the standard length.
on November 7, 2014
I am so happy with this razor. I bought it because I was sick of buying disposables every other week. With just one blade I get a much, much closer shave. You can't beat the price of the blades safety razors use either (and this razor comes with 10 free blades which will last you a long time). I bought a Parker Shaving Brush to use with the 99R, which I am also very happy with. It's such a relaxing experience to take 10 or 15 minutes out of your day for a close shave.

Just be careful your first couple times shaving with this thing. Watch some youtube videos on how to shave with a safety razor before trying the 99R out on your own face. I didn't and I nicked myself 3 or 4 times.
review image
on January 17, 2013
I had owned two Lord Premium Safety Razor Model LP1822L previous to this and both I had were junk and the threads that screw the head in stripped in a very short time. As I had just started shaving with a double edged safety razor, I didn't want to spend too much. This is a great razor. Easy to use, works well, good quality, and I like the weight of it. I've been using it for close to a year now and I have no interest in upgrading any time soon.
on February 6, 2014
This was my first safety razor and I will never go back. it took me about a week to get the technique down, but now I get an amazing shave every morning. I can even shave against the grain now with no irritation whatsoever. the Bluebird blades were a lot better than the Shark brand, but maybe they will work better for you. luckily they both come with the razor. if you're considering buying this, stop, and buy it.
on May 7, 2014
This is my first safety razor so I do not have much to compare against. I have used it 2 times now on the same blade. The first session was bloody but I believe it was because I was rushing like I would with my cartridge razor. Second session was good. Only a couple of cuts or nicks. I don't think I will be going back to cartridge razors again. I will probably order some better blades though.
on August 16, 2014
Like many reviewers, I am new to using a DE razor. I purchased this model specifically for the long handle after having seen some DE razors in stores which seemed ridiculously small for my hands.I found that the length is very nice in the hand, the weight feels right and the texture of the handle is easy to grip with wet hands. The butterfly opening makes it very easy and quick to replace blades. Shaving with this is a great experience compared to my Proglide with practically no resistance from facial hair using the Astra Superior Platinums that I also purchased. The razor also does not seem to get gummed up with hair and foam as I shave unlike a cartridge. There were a couple of very small imperfections in the texture of the handle but I am still giving this five stars as it is entirely functional and I'm using it as a tool, not displaying it as art although it is a very attractive item. It is well worth the purchase price ($37.95 at this time.)
on July 28, 2016
I replaced my current safety razor with this one, mine was a short handled crappy 5$ one. I was expecting this one to be better. I was not expecting it to be better in absolutely every way, it even holds the blades in a way that makes it very hard to cut yourself ( even against the grain), while still providing a very close shave. I'm not sure if the blades that came with it are superior to the ones I normally use, but the shave was much less aggravating to my face and head.

If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to say something bad about it. I'd say it is heavier than I was expecting, the arm can get tired while shaving one's head.

P.S. if you're looking for a great shaving lather to go with a beast like this, look no further than Dr. Bronner's liquid soap. The bottle is covered in insane ramblings, but it is really good for shaving with... and washing, etc.