countdown boutiques-francophones Luxury Beauty home Kindle sports Tools

on May 9, 2017
Not much more to say than if you haven't seen it and don't own it you're missing out. The extended scenes filled in some of the missing blanks but more than that the special effects were incredible. Each mission got better and better! While many seem to focus on the Ladies and how at times they were scarcely dressed, this was in my opinion part of their roles while being held against their will. Please check this out for yourself...You won't be sorry! Thank you Amazon CA for having it in stock and for shipping to the US.
on May 26, 2017
Thank
on March 18, 2017
As promised. Thank you.
on August 14, 2016
Worked
There are a lot of ways to describe this flick: surreal grindhouse, Gothic music video, video game movie, prison girl film, Heavy Metal meets LOTR etc. The movie for the most part was 5 stars. I didn't like the ending as they attempted to make a statement when none was needed. Baby Doll's mother dies. The step-dad was left out of the will so he kills Baby doll's sister and blames her during a goth version of "Sweet Dreams" (Annie Lennox). Baby Doll is committed to the Lennox asylum in Brattleboro, Vt. She is supposed to get a lobotomy in 5 days, during which she plans an escape.

The asylum has a stage where the girls perform. Baby Doll has a dance which mesmerizes people, a dance, we the audience never get to see. While Baby Doll dances she goes into a trance or dream world where she imagines she is battling all kinds of creatures (zombies, orcs etc). This is all done to a great soundtrack and computer graphics. In this aspect, the movie reminded me of "Heavy Metal", a series of stories loosely connected by a plot. This actually works well, unfortunately when the movie deviates from it, it doesn't work at all. During the first dance Baby Doll is told to get certain objects so she can escape. During her subsequent dances she entrances the males in the audience while her fellow inmates steal the item they need. The item they steal relates to the surreal imagination of Baby Doll.

No nudity, no sex, and the language was acceptable. Girls run around in short skirts with tight black hip boots. This is this generation's "Heavy Metal" movie, one that would be best watched on the big screen at a midnight showing
on March 28, 2014
Awesome visuals. I'm not gonna write an extensive movie review here, cause if you're considering buying this, you probably saw it already. Visually beautiful film. Feels like a music video jam packed with video game/japanimation influence. Looks great in Blueray. Extended version doesn't add too much more to the story. Just a couple added scenes (the musical number from the original end credits is given it's own scene) and an ending scene with Jon Hamm. Love the style of the film so bought it for the visuals.
on June 27, 2011
The extent to which this film has been cast aside and misunderstood even within those that makes claims as to having enjoyed it is unparalleled. To begin there is not one ounce of true exploitation in Sucker Punch. Snyder carefully chose his shots, costumes etc as to avoid becoming a T & A film. The point of showing girls wrapped in costumes representative of fetish was to attract a certain crowd and illustrate a point; fantasy is fun and without consequence if you understand the boundaries of fantasy. If you begin to loose sight of the boundaries of fantasy you begin to apply those concepts to the real world and there are consequences. Hence, no real death in the fantasy world until it leaks into the "real world" and starts to break it down. Movie goers, consumers, etc are obsessed with over-sensualizing teen girls (ie From Annette Funicello to Brooke Shields to Brittany Spears up through Miley Cyrus). By doing this teen girls grow up as prisoners of their own sexuality and are taught to "empower" themselves with it against the brute force of men. A subjective empowerment all women will enact on more than one occasion and that all women will loathe and/or enjoy at one time or another; sometimes both. That is one of the many questions Snyder poses; where is the line and what messages are we sending, specifically in Hollywood where T & A is the name of the game for most starlets.

There is also a lot of criticism for the so-called lack of inspired imagery; orcs, nazis, robots, etc. Again, this was the point. Tired of X-Men 5, Batman 6, Harry Potter 7, reboot, redeux, and remakes? Where something old is made new again? Snyder again was addressing the collapsing of the fibre of Hollywood and admitting, as with the girls, it's all fun but what is the cost? This same point is driven home through the music selection- riddled with remakes, reboots and samples and presented in the most decadent hyper-stylized way. Listen to the dialogue again...Snyder is speaking directly to the audience...even referencing his own contributions to the mess of genre flicks swarming the market. Amazing just how intelligent and brave this film is and how far critics and audiences alike have fallen in their film intellect over the last decade or two. The main flaw of the film is in the unintended feel good ending enlisted by the studio after the original ending was far too challenging for screening audiences. Amusing how the film to which Sucker Punch repeatedly tips it's hat to, Brazil, went through the very same struggles to be heard.

The "Sucker Punch" was the act of making a film with the purpose of baiting the audience with promises of action without consequence, sex without abuse, 2 fun-filled hours without introspection but in turn giving the audience creepy feelings of voyeurism and making the audience uneasy with enjoying the action that turned to violence. Unfortunately it's all worse than Zack Snyder thought; he gave the audience too much credit and they never realized he was taking to them about the state of affairs. Great film.
on June 20, 2017
Good material and well put together with nice effects. Not for stupid people.
Holy crap on a cracker. Alright, so I already dug Watchmen. I'm not too much into modern movies usually, especially ones with a lot of CG, but Watchmen really got me. It was 50% the comic and 50% the style of the movie. So obviously I wanted to see what Snyder would do next and then came Sucker Punch, this time an original story.

Holy crap, I say again! I thought it was going to be all visuals with no worthwhile story. But I was happily wrong on that one. Yes, Sucker Punch is at least 50% there to punch you in the eyeballs and titilate your every dream. Which actually kind of works into the theme of the story. But there's a cool quest storyline as well as some character backstory stuff that all ties together. I mean, this director's cut is 128 minutes long. There's plenty of room there for action, but when it goes back to story, it's just as interesting. In fact, as much as I enjoy the visuals of the action scenes (I'm a total sucker for steampunk) I felt the movie was at its best when concentrating on our five heroines.

One of the biggest criticisms of this movie is the whole exploitation angle. Well, I think any of the five characters in this movie would happily kick your tail for that. Is there an excessive amount of skin? I have to say slightly. But only slightly, because it while it is unnecessary to the plot, it is not excessive. Hell, the movie is so tame that it even silenced an "f" bomb in the dialogue. What movie does that these days?

I also loved the fact that this is a movie with five heroines, kicking butt and taking names. Sure, Scott Glen is there as a guiding figure. But he's more of an Obi-Wan Kenobi, he's not involved in the kicking of butts nor the taking of names. I can't think of any other recent action movies with five heroines and no male heroes.

My biggest beef with this movie is how it feels like a video game when it reverts to the action scenes. From the music to the slow mo to the choreography, it feels way too much like a video game during these scenes. I mean, the train scene...I played a game like that once. Not to mention there's this gamey quest aspect to the story. However before too long it quickly reverts back to another level of reality -- not startlingly so -- and then we're back in a place slightly more rooted in the real world.

But not entirely. The movie feels very much like a painting, whether one of oil or pixels. Every shot seems meticulously composed. Every movement and expression, pre-planned. This isn't a bad thing. It's one thing I liked about Watchmen. And I sure liked Watchmen.

The soundtrack is, once again, brilliant. I dig the fact that we're listening to Bjork in the 1960's. And why the hell not? Another highlight is a modern remake of "White Rabbit". These songs play into the storyline, and recur at key moments like theme songs for each scene. I even liked the Queen medley rap thingy.

I've read reviews of this movie that compared it to Brazil. That's pushing it. They both have lobotomies in them and intense fantasy sequences. But Sucker Punch is not bad. The acting is fine. I mean, Jena Malone's an established actress by now. I don't know anything about the other actresses, except I remember seeing Lemony Snicketts and thinking that girl was really talented. Well that girl plays the lead role of Babydoll here.

By the way, there were no Nazis in this movie...there were no Nazis during WWI, where the scene in question took place. Do kids not know history anymore?

I really liked Sucker Punch, flaws and all. If you think you would too, go for it. I think it's a fun ride that won't rot your brain at the same time.

4 stars.