countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Home All-New Kindle sports tools

on February 4, 2014
Thankfully Michael Mann has revisited his classic movie and reedited (restored) it to a version very close to the original theatrical release. The directors edit available on DVD in North America was altered too significantly and completely unnecessary. It was done at a time when director's cuts were considered good marketing. The only original theatrical version on DVD was the Region 2 disc available in the UK. There are only minor revisions on this Blu-ray from the original and can be considered a slight (and only slight) improvement. What they do not do is alter the vision or enjoyment of the original edit. The image quality is outstanding with vibrant colors and amazing detail (the soldiers uniforms really stand out in all their splendor). The night scenes do appear quite dark at times making the movie a better view in a dark room or at night. For the fans of this picture...after a 22 year can finally enjoy this movie as it was originally conceived and in the best quality ever.
I agree. Daniel Day-Lewis is considered to be the best actor of our time. He was excellent in this movie that takes place during the French/English/native American war in the mid-1700's. Based on the book by James Fenimore Cooper, the story powerfully comes to life with battle scenes, brilliant portrayals of life on the American frontier and stunning scenery. In the midst of the fast-paced action and the terrific emotional impact of this movie, there is a passionate love story between Hawkeye (played by Day-Lewis), adopted son of the Mohicans and Cora, an aristocratic daughter (played by Madeleine Stowe) of a British Colonel.

This movie was released in 1992, before love was interpreted as "sex" in many movies that are produced today. Yet, the love between Hawkeye and Cora is considered by many to be the most passionate portrayed in any movie that's been made. I would agree with that, especially in one scene. No nudity. No sex. No offensive "language".

How accurate this story is to the time presented, I can't say. I haven't done any research on that subject. I'm content to enjoy this movie on its own merit. There is violence and parents would have to decide at what age their children would be able to see this movie without being adversely affected.
on June 20, 2004
This is a wonderful movie, and I can't say enough about it.
I first seen this movie when I was in high school. I remember my boyfriend forcing me to see this film. I complained during the whole ride to the theater. But, after the first ten minutes I was hooked like a fish.
The haunting, visual landscapes are breathtaking, Daniel Day-Lewis is wonderful, and the secondary characters are very good. Essentially, this is a story of change. The Last Mohican represents a changing of lives and cultures. Additionally, the story of the French-Indian war is moving.
I cannot list a full synopsis of the movie because there are so many different back stories and themes. There is love, intrigue, deciet, family values, war, and death...and all of it is rolled into one.
Everything about this movie is fantastic and very moving. You need to see it for yourself to see what I am talking about. Or, you can listen to the some of the reviewer's recommendations that say this movie is boring and long.
I won't kid you there is some slow points, but this isn't an all out action flick.
Ultimately, this movie is for people who love real, moving movies.
on May 9, 2011
Just a heads up to anyone buying this blu ray that you may encounter problems.

I've tried it with both a Sony BDP-S570 and BDP-S770 and could not get the disc to work with either player.

Despite having tried around 20 times, the disc usually would show either nothing on screen, or only the first screen (white text on black background). Once I got a screen with white text on red background explaining my player was not updated, but both players have the latest firmware.

Every time the counter display on the player simply shows hyphens (-- -- -- --) and the disc/player freezes.

Haven't been able to find any other reports of issues with this disc or those Sony players, but until I'm able to get another copy to work, just be aware in case you also encounter this problem.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 4, 2006
It is 1557 a confusing time with the French verses the English and the various Indian tribes taking sides. There are innocent settlers just looking to be free caught up in the conflict.

A small contingent of British are escorting two daughters Cora Munro (Madeleine Stowe) and Alice (Jodhi May) of a British colonel to a near by fort. They are betrayed and three trappers come to the rescue thus setting the story of the "last of the Mohicans" begins.

I do not want to go into details as it will undermine the surprises. Let's just say you will not be disappointed.

This story is based on the 1936 screen play and embellished to a full movie. The scenery is breath taking. One item you can spot right off is that the people in buck skins blend into the back ground; however the British, French and colonel's daughters conspicuously stand out.

Many of the scenes are also surrealistic and have an ethereal feel. This combined with such songs as "I will find you" in the back ground lure you into a timeless feeing. Even at the end of the story you are waiting for more.

As with most films today there are many versions. And different media. Be sure to find the one that suits you best. If you can not find a domestic version do not settle for less; you may want to invest in a region free player or convert the media using software readily found on the internet.
on February 1, 2004
After reading many of the horrified reviews of the "director's cut" DVD version, one would expect a major chop job akin to what happened to Peckinpah's films in the 1970s, a major mutilation of a masterpiece.
Calm down. It's nothing of the kind. Having been a fan of this film since its original release, and having watched the VHS version a couple of times a year since it came out, I had a hard time catching all the changes on the DVD, because most of them are so minor. Some are just a few seconds long. Some are improvements (the extended fort battle, the end of the surrender negotiations, the elimination of some trite and anachronistic wisecracks), others don't matter or are unfortunate (Chingachgook's speech at the end, the elimination of the Clannad song). Overall, especially if you are not intimately familiar with it, you are watching the same movie as on VHS.
My only complaint is technical: The color and brightness are not especially well balanced; some shade or night scenes require adjusting your TV temporarily. And the absence of special features is disappointing.
on February 16, 2013
My favorite movie of all time - I had my original VHS tape from 1993 and LITERALLY wore it out (the tape eventually got jammed and the ending of the movie was ruined). So, I bought the "Director's Expanded Edition" DVD and was appalled by what they did to this brilliant film in the DVD version. Can't even watch it it's so bad. Why they would add two or three minutes of extra crap, AND, worst of all, DELETE out some of the most intriguing, comical parts of the masterpiece movie is beyond me! THANK GOD I was able to find a new (well, slightly used) VHS copy of this movie, in it's original theatrical form! Thanks very much to the seller! Received the movie in 3 days through expedited mail - amazing! To echo some of the other reviews of this movie, it is brilliant - like I said, to this day, still my favorite movie. And, if Fox Home Video is out there listening by any chance, PLEASE release the original theatrical version of Last of the Mohicans on DVD!
on September 28, 2003
It's hard to describe the feelings this picture inspires. James Fenimore Cooper's book was one classic I read a couple of times when I was a teenager. The archaic English and the possible improbability of the story never interfered with the basic beauty of the book, the story it was telling of the inroads of Europeans on the territory and very existence of Native Americans. As I continued in historical advanced placement classes and in my own research, I found that many of the fears demonstrated by Cooper in his novel, concerning the decimation of many tribes, the greed all too present in those nations fighting for territory and the natural wealth of that territory, the misuse of the land, and the death of the rich wilderness that was America came true.
I don't usually watch or purchase R-rated movies. Just a particular quirk of mine not to fill my mind with mindless junk. Yet, I saw this movie on the television (where it had been cleaned up), and I'm absolutely sure that if it were made today, it would have been given a PG-13. It is violent, but then so was life on the American frontier.
The scenery is awesome, the acting superb. My first introduction to both Daniel Day-Lewis and Madeliene Stowe who were the embodiment of what Cooper intended. The screenwriting kept to the intent of Cooper's writing. The supporting actors were incredible...all of them. The part where Uncas dies in protecting a white woman who was more of a child and in psychological stress never fails to bring me to tears.
The final lines spoken by Russell Means that life would go on, but the Native Americans and their cultures would not be there to see the future, but that their imprint on the world would still be there, even if it was just in their respect and appreciation of nature.
As always, the widescreen enhanced version of the DVD is the smartest buy for those like me who are hearing-impaired, and watch with the captioning. Only in the widescreen versions can we enjoy the movie without having our necessary captioning being done over the picture and interfering with our enjoyment.
Karen Sadler
on March 1, 2001
I really don't understand all the negative fuss & hullabalo over this "Director's Expanded Edition" release of an all-time classic - 1992's, "The Last of the Mohicans." Every scene added to this version enhances the telling of a clear, coherent story. It's pretty much all subtle stuff that serves to strengthen the undercurrents of the film. Yes, there is material, in the form of a line here & there, that is deleted from the original theatrical version, but ... BUTCHERED? Hardly. Forget the familiar, and the film flows in fine form. No longer is Hawkeye portrayed as a 90's pop-hero. Now, he's a bonafide survivalist. The only portion changed that matters is the elimination of Clannad's "I Will Find You" from the soundtrack. I liked that. But, I like the theme music that replaces it, as well. To me, it's a wash. I can enjoy it either way. The extended courier & parlay scenes are well worth the time & effort. Michael Mann's genious shines, even more, in this Director-edited version.
Overall, the movie in this version is stronger, ends with more impact, that gave even me - a viewer of this film hundreds of times in my search for the locations - a lump in my throat, and has unmatched, by any other version, sound & picture qualities ... just wait till you see the night scenes at Cameron's Cabin & The Burial Ground ... the color throughout is vibrantly vivid.
No problem here! I love it!
on May 7, 2001
For those of you who've never seen this movie, or do not own it, this is a great flick, and definately worthy of joining your collection. The end scene will make you gasp,cry,cheer, and will make you want to watch the whole thing all over again. For those of you who own this movie on VHS, DO NOT BUY the DVD. If you are a big fan of this movie, you will be severely disappointed. The addition of scenes was nice, but the director's cut DELETED some of the best parts of the movie. Hawkeye no longer tells duncan "One day you and I are going to have a serious disagreement", a line that I thought was one of the best in the movie. The "i will find you" song has been taken out and replaced by the same tune used in the end and beginning. There are many other small deletions that are hard to catch, but leave you feeling that something is missing. The first time I watched it, I was so furious I almost stuck the DVD in the microwave, but I guess that's because I'm such a huge fan of this movie.