countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout home All-New Kindle sports tools Registry

Format: DVD|Change

on January 19, 2012
Finally, a good X-Men movie! Done as a drama about actual events taking place over history, the story wins you over because of its very likeable characters. The story was well-written and the acting is generally good enough to pull us in and make us care about (or even love) these X-Men. Their powers are great but they also have human frailties. I'm sure that many people can identify with them and care deeply for them through their struggles. I also love how the film depicts the ugly side of humanity: fear and even hatred for that which differs from them, or their perception of reality.

This film takes place before the events of the previous films, mostly in the 1960's as Charles Xavier discovers his abilities and those of others, leading to the conception of a school of mutants (and thus the X-Men.) In this time he and Erik Lehnsherr (Magneto) are good friends and haven't yet parted ways. Mutants are in hiding for they are feared as supernatural creatures who may be a threat to humans. Xavier is an optimist who believes that mutants and humankind can learn to live together, while other mutants feel differently and desire to fight back against humankind with violence.

Charles Xavier, Magneto and Mystique are all very well performed. You accept Magneto as a villain you'd `love to hate' (but Shaw and the Hellfire Club are the main villains in this one.) Mystique is so well portrayed as Xavier's dear shape-shifting friend that you'd hate to see her go bad. Xavier works very well as a brilliant psychic and thinker whom you can't help but respect and wish you knew in real life. With all the CGI crap in films these days I find myself no more turned on than off by FX, but I can say that the acting is generally good enough that the FX feels believable. On the whole I think they did a fantastic job with this one.

The major shortcoming of this film is in the female actresses: some of them aren't as good as they should be (Emma Frost's portrayal being by far the worst.) Instead of quality actresses they went for model-looking ones. And by "model" I mean skin-and-bones. NEWS FLASH: men like meat on the bone! I'm saying this as man, speaking for all men I've known. At any rate, there is no excuse for not finding female actors as good as the male ones.

Another problem is that the scenes involving the Hellfire club feel a little hokey: they're presented as one-dimensional villains and they even look awkward together as a group. If it wasn't for these issues I would have given it five stars. I really love this film and will be watching it many more times!
on January 28, 2013
Got this on sale for 10 bucks and couldn't be happier. A simple Breakdown for anyone curious.

HD picture Quality is 5/5

Surround Sound is Fantastic 5/5

Is not Bare Bones 4/5

Overall what I got for what I paid 5/5
on October 26, 2011
yeah this movie turned out to be actually pretty good for an action/superhero flick thats rated pg. usually i have a hard time watching these kinds of movies like ironman because there is so much violence and distruction going on that they cant clearly portray the chaos that is going on while staying within the pg perimiter. X-men first class however had me totally interested. There were so many characters in it and we got to see how they all met and became who they are in the comics nowadays. this was all very interesting to me and the action took a back seat to learning about each individual character and their story, to top it all off the ending battle was great and i now look forward to further pg-13 superhero movies.
on June 4, 2013
Granted, I haven't seen it yet... but I couldn't pass up this deal.

I bought this with the Blu ray X-Men Trilogy Set..... Now I've completed the 4 movie collection.

Great deal... and I highly recommend any X-Man fan buying this!
on October 25, 2016
I enjoyed this movie. All of the actors are very handsome, especially James McAvoy. I started watching more of his movies once I became aware of this one. Really enjoyable action, adventure movie about this professor and his friend Magneto, played by Michael Fassbender, who recruit some mutants to stop this one evil mutual played by Kevin Bacon. You will find the two sequels following this really enjoyable. Sequels are usually disappointing, but you won't be disappointed with this nor the sequels to this. I really hope they make more sequels with the same cast.
on April 18, 2013
J'étais amateur de comic books quand j'étais jeune et les X-Men faisaient partie, avec The Avengers, de mes équipes préférées.

Cette version des ''origines'' des X-Men est, à mon humble avis, très bien faite, respectant l'esprit des comics de ma jeunesse. Il y aura toujours des différences entre les films et les comics d'origine, mais dans l'ensemble, j'ai trouvé le tout très bien.

Alors, personellement, je recommande ce film aux amateurs du genre.
on May 29, 2014
Movie shipped fast got it about half a week early

As for the movie its self, first class was the first Xmen movie I've seen and left me craving more. I didn't feel like I needed to watch the other movies at all to understand what was going on, that being said I was talking to my friend and he said that there is still a lot of reference to the main movies which works as great fan service

Would highly recommend
on September 5, 2011
I am an x-men fan and have read many of the comic books as well as watch the cartoon back in the 90s. I was very very skeptical of this movie since I despised what they did with the first few x-men movies plus Wolverine.

I was surprised at how I actually loved this movie. It was refreshing to see a bunch of actors that were coming up and not always a bunch of known actors that end up in a bad movie.

The movie itself focuses on the First Class, (die hard fans will argue about how the original were not these mutants but even so they were well integrated) in any case, well executed and for a movie that was 2 hours and 20 minutes long I have not found long at all. There is not too much 'adniministration' to bore you but enough to always keep you intrigued just as well as the action. The final battle is cool and the fact they used a historic event made it that much cooler. People must understand that this is about the relationship between Magneto and Xavier, how they began and how even with different points of views they still greatly respected each other no matter what.

On the mutants themselves, they generally took they right biography/past and intergrated it smoothly into a new plotline. Some mutants were taken from different storyline and intergrated as well into this x-men movie. Some are questionable (by die hard fans) but even so I enjoyed it all.

My only quarrel is actually the female CIA agent Moira McTaggert. In reality (in the x-verse) she was a scientist on Muir Island and was known to be close friends with Xavier. She was NEVER in the government (not in any x-men universe I know anyway. So besides that the rest is greatly done!

The fun part was that a few questions that were to be answered in the previous x-men movies (yes that triology that should not exist especially the 3rd movie) Like how come Magneto said they had once crossed paths (with Wolverine) and why Magneto left behind a human Mystique once she was 'cured' and stuff like that. Nice reference and nothing more.

I saw this movie expecting the worse and I came out more than satisfied.
on January 26, 2014
A great among the great of Sci-Fi movies. The special effects are mind blowing, although sometimes it borders a little bit on the ludicrous. If you want to take it apart and look for flaws, you will find many. But you can actually shut those flaws out of your mind and still greatly enjoy this movie and the other X-Men episodes. And of course, there's excellent acting.
on June 12, 2014
This was a solid action-super hero type of story. Perhaps not the most deep of the x-men films, but definately worth a watch. There were lots of nods to the other films and comics, but not so much that you would get lost if this is your first x-men experience. It is great to see the young version of all of my favourite characters.