countdown boutiques-francophones Spring Cleaning home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Format: LP Record|Change
Price:$242.41+ $3.49 shipping

on July 3, 2000
Alice Cooper's "Brutal Planet" is a bit of a departure for Alice. On the other hand, departure is perfectly normal for Alice, isn't it? :o) This album is very guitar oriented, even for an Alice Cooper album. It features very heavy guitars and very "deep" lyrics. No subject, not even spousal abuse, is too deep a subject for the king of shock rock. Alice appears to be raging against all the brutal things this planet has to offer. The DIFFERENCE between Alice Cooper doing a very guitar oriented album and many other guitar driven bands is Alice still manages to be himself. His vocals are still clear, understandable, and SOUND very much like Alice Cooper even if the music itself is a lot "heavier". I think Alice has another definite winner on his hands with this release. It IS quite different from his other albums, but it STILL has a pure Alice Cooper feel to it. I like it ALMOST as much as "Trash" and "Hey Stoopid". Almost, but, NOT quite as much. That is simply because I am not an extremely guitar oriented listener. I mean, the guitar is absolutely needed, but I don't need to have TONS of guitar on an album. I know LOTS of people can't get enough guitar and this album will be a big hit with those fans. I still rate this album 5 stars because I feel it's a very solid effort, very worthy of Alice Cooper. Of course, you'll have to listen to it from start to finish to see if you agree with me. :o)
on December 10, 2000
As far as I am concerned this album is the best Cd I have heard in a long time. I saw the video for "Gimme" on VH1, it was on late at night and I was just getting ready to turn off the tele and it was announced that the A.C. video would be on next. So I waited because I still love Alice Cooper, I do have to admit that after "From the Inside" I did jump ship, that is until now. When the video started I sat and stared at the screen and could not believe my ears, it was mesmerizing I felt like Alice rose straight out of the ashes and stuck me in the face right there and then. I got goosebumps! I went out and bought the disc the next day and listened to it immediatley. I was so glad to hear this record and I told everyone to go out and get it, I felt like it was taken directly from a combination of "Love it to Death" and "Killer". It keeps it's grips on you for the whole time. My favorite track off of the cd is "Pick up the Bones". The record just hits you from the very begining and never lets up. This is on my favorite cd list for 2000.
Thank you once again A.C.
on June 6, 2000
Isaiah 40:31 says that those who wait upon the Lord's timing will rise up with wings as eagles, shall not grow weary and will not faint.
Alice has never sounded so young. Like David Bowie or Todd Rundgren, Alice is not an oldies act by any means. These artists keep their music with the present times, and "Brutal Planet" speaks directly to the concerns of youth and young adulthood.
This follow-up to 1994's "The Last Temptation" (Cooper's first Christian-themed disc) finds Alice rocking much, MUCH harder than on that effort, while keeping the moral stance established there.
Heavy metal's sage tackles such themes as gluttony ("Eat Some More;" particularly interesting since he owns a restaurant. Wonder if he scribbled these lyrics on a napkin in the corner...), violence in the schools, in both "Wicked Young Man" and "Blow Me a Kiss." In the former he snarls controversially, "I got a pocket full of bullets and a blueprint of the school/I'm the devil's little soldier, I'm the devil's little tool."
Alice has said that this is intended to expose and stop this character. I hope it works. All I know is that the music does. This totally rocks!
"Blow Me a Kiss," he has told a Canadian internet magazine, is about the senselessness of the Columbine tragedy.
"Sanctuary" is--surprise!--NOT about church, but about a guy's place at home where he feels comfortable, and it's there only he feels good. It's a comic/tragic narrative about a guy who "needs to get some insurance 'cause [he]'ll prob'ly have a heart attack before [he]'s forty." (Yes, Alice plays a character. This 52-year-old man still sings "Eighteen" live!)
"Pick up the Bones" is as disgusting as it can be, but notice I gave this thing five stars. Alice has called what he does "great bad taste," and that's fitting. It's about the possibility of a nuclear fallout, the aftermath of which finds almost no one alive. Damn him for the great music backing this tasteless diatribe! (grin)
"Pessi-Mystic" is about disillusionment with seers and soothsayers, wondering how shaky is their source of "wisdom."
"Gimme" exposes the devil again, as the red-horned one promises to give fame and fortune: "I really hate to repeat myself," the character says, "but nothing's free."
"It's the Little Things" is definitely the funniest and lyrically lightest piece on this dark disc.
"Cold Machines" is the "worst track," but note again I gave it five stars. It sounds like a thing Popeye would do! But then if there were a new Popeye movie, it'd make a great theme!
I can hear the muscles, I can hear the spinach. Yes, it's cartoonish. Yes, I gave it five stars!
"Take it Like a Woman" is "Only Women Bleed 2000." It's the only ballad on this otherwise hard, brooding disc. I'll let the women comment on this one, but I think it falls into the category of "one for the ladies."
This leaves the title track, which begins it all: "It's such a brutal planet/It's such a living hell/This was a holy garden/That's right where Adam fell."
I wonder how that would go over in public school, the ones where the "wicked young man" hangs out!
I had read the lyrics before I heard this, and the music illumines them and makes for a tough, bold, and yes five-star disc. It's very hard, and very, very good. It has a young, industrial feel almost throughout.
(Don't forget to catch him on tour, for which he has brought back the guillotine. Don't just be a Christian... be a Christian on the edge!)
on March 26, 2001
...and it's been a WHILE since an album's had that kind of staying power for me. I'm not familiar with any of Alice's previous work, save the hits, so I won't be able to compare it (which is probably a good thing due to the biases of some reviewers) However, as a stand alone album, Brutal Planet is easiy one of the best heavy metal albums ever produced.
Music-wise, no new ground is broken. Extremely loud D-tuned guitars, decent solos, constant drumming. But the songs are so well-written, you'll have to look out the window to make sure this is really 2001, and not 1971. Every single song is supremely memorable, and so powerful you literally won't be able to not react. Alice's voice is as strong and veral as when I first heard "School's Out," and his lyrical skills have reached a peak. They'd have to, to describe such a terrible world as Brutal Planet. He paints a picture of a world so uncaring and ignorant, that it almost seems impossible that such a place could ever exist..... or is it? Such is the magic of The Coop.
A warning though, this is rock music made fairly recently, as such, it's very heavy. It bears little to no similarity to the Alice Cooper Band of old, or even his 80's-late 90's work. It is some of THE BEST metal I've heard put out by anyone though, let alone someone already 30 years into his career.
I really can't think of any more reasons for you to buy this album. So buy it!!
on June 20, 2000
Butal Planet brings Alice into the year 2000 sounding fresh and updated. Having hung out with friends he has influenced and inspired like Rob Zombie and others much newer to the rock scene probably had a little to do with this change. People who are stuck in either the 70's or 80's will probably not enjoy this disc. I myself don't care for a lot of the music coming out these days. The reason is most new and upcoming bands lack good vocal melodies. Brutal Planet contains excellent vocal melodies by none other than the master himself Alice. The disc is produced by Bob Marlette. Bob also co-writes all of the songs on Brutal Planet. He has worked with Union, Rob Halford's Two project, and many others. Brutal Planet warns us that we are self destructing ourselves and destroying the planet. Song topics include starvation, racism, battered women, warfare, and etc. The subjects may be depressing and dark, however contrary to what some reviewers say there is a touch of Alice's humor thrown in here and there. The cd is strong from start to finish. Favorite songs will vary from one listener to the next. However, my favorites are Blow Me A Kiss, Cold Machines, Pessi-mystic, and Gimme. The drums on this disc are played by Eric Singer. His playing is solid and does a lot to drive the music. The guitar playing is very heavy without a lot melody, which is what is in right now. There are a couple of cool leads, but most are cut short. I chose to give this disc a four star rating because Alice needs to give his guitar players a little more room when it comes time for leads. I know he is the highlighted artist here, but Ozzy gives his guitarists the room needed to gain recognition. Overall, Brutal Planet simply rocks and I recomend it to previous Alice fans whom aren't stuck in the 70's or 80's and people who may not have liked Alice in the past because they thought he was to pop oriented.
on August 6, 2000
How could he do it? How could he disappear from the face of the music industry for more than 6 years without any original recordings only to come out with one of the best, most excruciating album of his long career. The album reeks with grueling, loud riffs. It seems there's more an evil, brooding tone to the whole album than you thought. It seems that just because Alice has moved to a different, relatively small label than his old EPIC, it still hasn't changed anything at all about his style. The boogeyman still has it in him, with a new different twist in punkish rock that leaves all these new self proclaimed punk bands eating his dust. We all know that this album won't sell as much as Marilyn Manson, but he's got such a well structured fan base that just those people count on making this music legend move on. He's been singing for nearly more than 30 years and he's still t it.
For this album, forget everything you knew about him. Forget everything you know about his music. This is Alice Cooper revamped. This is him for the new millenium and no one can deny that he's still good at it scaring our "perfect" lives.
on February 13, 2001
Made in CAN in 2000, Serial# 70211-50382-1, Playing Time 48:06
Alice Cooper (AC) is one of those artists that keep evolving: every album shows that he's not using a "standard recipe".
I've listened to this CD about a dozen times before reviewing it, because this time, the musical direction is greatly different than any of his previous work. The more I listen to it, the more I think this is not for the casual Cooper fan: the vocals are angry as usual and his voice is easily recognizable; including the lyrics in the booklet was a great idea because I find that the lyrics are saving this CD.
This is definitely AC's "darkest" album, both thematically and sonically. It doesn't resemble "Trash" or "Killer" or "Welcome To My Nightmare" or "Constrictor". Listen to some audio samples of any of the first 7 tracks: it's quite a surprise.
Unfortunately, the sound textures present on this CD are precisely what kept me away from many albums in the 90's: guitar sounds that are between "grungy" and "sludgy", not even remotely interesting, making the melodies completely un-memorable: remove the vocals, and I'm not sure you'd know which song is playing (except for "Take It Like A Woman", which DOES have a defined melody).
I picked up AC's albums as they came out ever since "Killer", with 1 exception: Brutal Planet. I want to hear songs, and my favorite on this CD is "It's The Little Things", probably because it's the most musical. I somehow feel that the tracks improve the deeper you get into the album: I think the worst are the first 5, while the best are the last 5.
I'm not an un-conditional fan of any artist, so even though it IS original, it's a big disappointment for me. Will I buy his next album? ABSOLUTELY. The man has talent! But Brutal Planet is just one of those albums I won't wear out on my CD player...
on August 22, 2000
If there was justice you would'nt be able to turn on your local heavy/hard rock radio station without hearing Brutal Planet.Spitfire Records (part of Eagle Rock Entertainment)should be promoting this album,not just to long-time A.C. fans but to the "kids" also.The horrible state of our world and the screwed-up people in it is Alice's "nightmare" now-as well as ours.At least he knows its not the "movies I see,the music I dig,"etc. This album is the heaviest,most consistent album of his career.You'd have to go back to "Killer" to come close and then add better production,musicianship,and songwriting.I first saw Alice live in 1970 and he was the best show on the road then and when he comes to your town (or anywhere close)in support of this tremendous album, do yourself a favor and go.... Marilyn Manson? Give me a break! Bands like his and others like Metallica should "open" for the Coop.I'm in my mid-forties and I haven't mellowed a bit-and neither has the Coop.God bless 'em.Come on,Eagle Rock-push this record-it's one of the best albums in many,many years.
on March 17, 2004
Alice has had a go at so many diffrent forms of Rock and pop. and I was suprised that this type of DEEP METAL sound appealed to me! USually I cannot stand that thrashing new age heavy metal sound, but i guess it depends on who the man behind the mascara is?
Tho I dont like every song on this album, i still like most of them! It has turned out quite a few suprising gems! This album is a kind of story adventure type of thing, not easy to tell if you hadnt read that before but its there in a way! This album is defnitly mich better then DRAGONTOWN and has a great selection of new age sounding masterpeices of Alice. Tho if your into solo guitar playing, you will sorely miss them on this album!
My favorite would have to be "little things" Alice has a great sense of humor built into this song. it might not be belly laughing funny, but I still think its great!
Some may mistaken the lyrics as beeing fairly depressing death lyrics, but if you listen more carefully, there actually just classic Alice's scare tactics!
on April 22, 2003
Alice Cooper's "Brutal Planet" is filled with good music. It's new music that Alice had to experiment with. The experiment didn't turn out too badly, and the album wasn't horrible. Brutal Planet features good, hard shock rock, and has a few soft songs too. The only thing that brought this album down from 4 or 5 stars was the lyrics. The lyrics stand out as being different from the second you open the insert. They are written in paragraph form, and for a very simple reason. If they were written normally (i.e.: verse, followed by chorus, then verse, etc.), the resemblence between songs would be remarkable. EVERY SINGLE SONG is written the exact same way. There is one good verse in the beginning of the song, then there is a chorus. After the chorus, there is one more verse (usually a sentence long). Then the chorus begins. Alice sings the chorus about five or six times in each song, and then the song ends. (To sum it up, there is 1 full verse, enveloped by about 6 repetitions of the chorus.) If you've got the album, check for yourself. Even though the songs have the rhythm and the melody, they lack the lyrics. If you're a person who doesn't care for the lyrics of a song, this is a 5 star album for you, and a must by, but if you feel, like me, that the lyrics are just as important as the melody, this album is good, but definately not Alice's greatest.