countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports tools Registry

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on January 9, 2012
Anybody out there looking for a good movie you have come to the right place for a review of this movie. Definitely recommend you buy the movie it is really a good movie with lots of popcorn and maybe a few tissues. You will love it.
on March 28, 2015
I really enjoyed this movie, and I cried too. We don't realize how some people were treated back then, and even today, we still have cases of abuse and people who take advantage of some helpless child or adult. And many of the black people were so wrongly looked at as slaves, and so many were so kind , even though they had to obey when told to do something. So many were giving good advice to the children whose parents had no time for them.
on January 3, 2013
Great cast and wonderful acting. Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer are superb. Working with a well-written script, the actors do an excellent job in bringing to life on the screen an interesting mix of characters. Using humour, they deliver a message that is timeless. You will applaud, laugh and also get your ire up with some characters that you would want to shake up! Watch the film and do read the book and you will not be disappointed.
on January 6, 2012
This is one of those movies if you read the book you will still love the movie. Ron Howards daughter is fantastic in this movie - talented like her father. My wife remembers travelling to Florida on vacation as young teenager seeing the racism that exisited in the sixties with segregated schools and washrooms for coloureds and whites. Truly a movie everyone should see to understand our history not all that long ago.
on March 4, 2012
Every now and then there comes along a movie where I truly believe every single person should watch it. The Help, is one of those movies.

This movie made me laugh and cry several times through it.

Amazing acting. Great story. Draws you into a world I wish was makebeleave.

So I then had to read the book. The book is 100 times better then this sensational movie!
on December 25, 2012
This book was so amazing. It gives you a really good idea on what life was like in that time. How hard certain people had it. Very emotional, entertaining at times, and just overall such a good book! A definite must read
on February 3, 2012
My husband and I listened to the CDs of the book The Help and found it very good. I bought the DVD for him for Christmas. We enjoyed the actors and seeing the story come to life but it wasn't as poignent as the book. There were too many changes that made the story too fluffy.

I was happy with the service from the seller.
on February 6, 2013
We've probably all seen the movie and were touched by the story line. The book offers more backround and rich detail into the Southern segregation of black people. Read it twice, back-to-back and savored each detail the second time around.
on July 5, 2014
Excellent movie, excellent service & excellent condition upon arrival!
One of my favourite movies.
The Help is a maid for Oscar story of Mississippi maids set in 1963 based on the literary phenomenon. There is no black president. There is no daughter and granddaughter of a maid who has had a talk show for 25 years. Now is the time to go deep into the south, to peer through the bent back tulips, to see how the other half lives, to explore the life of the black maid against the burgeoning backdrop of the civil rights movement.

Life is not fair if you are a black maid. Some people say fair is foul and foul is fair. Some will not just say it, but prove it.

Eugenia aka Skeeter personifies the progressive educated female. Well traveled, broad minded, she hopes to become a writer in New York. Returning to Jackson she discovers that her maid from childhood has mysteriously disappeared.

Hilly Holbrook, the antagonist, childhood friend of Sketer, queen bee housewife personifies the status quo, with her bouffed up sprayed in place hair, and a WITCH (Woman In Total Control of Herself) glint in her eye, she campaigns for a law requiring people with home help to build an additional toilet for the help only, the Home Health Sanitation Initiative. She proclaims that she promotes 'separate but equal,' and warns her friend Skeeter that there are 'real racists' in this town. If everyone is equal then why do they need to be separate?

She will find a suitable match for her friend Skeeter.

Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer play long suffering maids Aibileen and mouthy Minny respectively. One embittered, tragic, looks Oprahesque, the other sassy.

The toilet becomes a recurring symbol, metaphor, inciting incident, turning point. Other symbols include the maid uniform, the bus, pies, the ring, Crisco, and grits.

So the sweltering summer of our discontent may become glorious Autumn with this story of suffering maids, and their condition may be made better by writing an anonymous tell all book. It may also be maide worse.

Minny caught short during a severe storm insistently asks to use the house bathroom. Hilly refuses. She goes. The WITCH, boiling with anger, bangs on the door. The maid without peeing insolently flushes the toilet to get under her bosses skin. The narrator says: 18 people died in that storm, 10 white, 8 black.

When Aibileen tells her tragic story I could feel emotion welling in my chest and while remaining in the moment was transported to Oscar night, where they show the scene from the movie. When Skeeter (Emma Stone)did her monologue, I had a similar somewhat intense experience. It takes great talent to evoke that kind of response.

Rarely do you get such a strong ensemble with a mostly female cast, with such well written acting roles. The movie Doubt also starring Viola Davis, got four Oscar nominations for acting, and I expect this movie will get several acting nominations including a second nomination for her, perhaps victory this time.

While I loved how these relationships worked, and how the movie plays on our emotions it has story weaknesses. Specifically, the lack of a strong inciting incident. The story could have been strengthened if Medgar Evers was a character. As he lived in Jackson at the time, how difficult would it be to have one or two scenes with him in it, and then we would be much more emotionally involved in the real life event of his assassination by a 'real' racist.

Shortly after watching this I watched In the Heat of the Night, and Gran Torino, which I consider a masterpiece, although it's politically incorrect, and therefore did not win any Oscars. It had to settle for being hugely popular. While both explore racial tension and explicit racism through a masculine lens, The Help explores a more shaded implicit racism of denial through a feminine lens. The covert racism of going along to get along, bowing to peer pressure, not daring to risk punishment by social exclusion.

If you're like me you may wonder how it is relevant to today, when we have Obama in the White House, Oprah in our living rooms, and Beyonce topping the charts. Racism still exists, except that nowadays we are very polite about it, we may even be in denial about it like Hilly. She refuses her maid a loan, hires and fires maids left, right and center, yet raises money for children in Africa. She says separate but equal, but does not mean equal. If a landlord says to someone I won't rent you a house becuse you can't afford it, or because I have already rented it, or your credit is not strong enough, he may mean something else entirely.

Bryce Dallas Howard as Hilly impressed me greatly. Her gleeful wicked witch of the West meets Cruella De Ville performance, at first deceptively inconsequential builds throughout the movie, reaching an impressive crescendo.

Minny wants equality, yet when Celia Foote sits at her table, and treats her like an equal, her conditioning kicks in and she asks her to sit elsewhere. I liked that her character was more active.

Emma Stone could get an Oscar nom. She is a crusader, and does battle adversity but she is not the subject of adversity, and does not have a dog in the fight. The stakes are less serious for her.

I liked Celia Foote played by Jessica Chastain, as poor white trash married into money. She has no understanding of the social norms, and status, because she apparently was raised on Mars. She has a Jayne Mansfield body.

I feel pretty certain that The Help will be nominated for best picture, and the issue of race relations has been well favored in the past. The movie Crash, won with a similar theme. What will prevent if from winning is that though it is popular it takes no risks, also it presents the issue in a comedic way. From a masculine point of view, I yearned for a major events and turning points, for some crash bang wallop, but that desire was left unfulfilled.

Each year Oscars get awarded for mostly two types of roles:

1. A person battling adversity, mental illness, social discrimination, physical or mental handicap of some kind, the underdog. A stuttering king, as in Colin Firth, a mentally ill ballerina as in Natalie Portman, a crusader as in Sandra Bullock, or Hilary Swank, or Julia Roberts as Erin Brockovich.

2. The psychopath sociopath. Anthony Hopkins Silence of the Lambs, Kate Winslet in The Reader. Angelina Jolie as a sociopathic mental in Life interrupted. Charlize Theron as serial killer.

If you like The Help, I recommend you see The Debt, a brilliant suspense thriller also starring Jessica Chastain, with Helen Mirren. If you are like me, I think you will be amazed at how talented JC is in a leading role. It's my favorite movie of the 60 or so I have seen this year. She also plays the lead actress in The Tree of Life.

If you do decide to get The Help, I recommend you also consider Gran Torino, Mississippi Burning, In the Heat of the night, or even the Oscar winning Crash, because all have similar themes with some crash bang wallop. The Help offers a unique perspective, and ultimately is both heartwarming and entertaining.

Post Awards Update. The Help did secure an Oscar nomination for Best Picture, and nominations for Octavia Spenser, Viola Davis and Jessica Chastain. Octavia Spenser won. Viola Davis won the Golden Globe for her performance.

I hope you found this review helpful, and I think you will enjoy the movie.