Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition Beauty home Kindle sports tools

Customer reviews

on time....great story
on September 10, 2017
Nice !!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 21, 2017
I unintentionally came across this Moneyball movie at the Family Dollar store near where my husband and I live. This film stars Brad Pitt (Rusty Ryan in Ocean’s Twelve, The Big Short) as Billy Beane, Jonah Hill as Peter Brand an assistant to Billy Beane (I remember Hill most recently from the War Dogs film and Wolf of Wall Street). I admit that I did not know that Chris Pratt (first Guardians of the Galaxy,upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy 2 film etc)played in the film as a baseball player by the name of Scott Hatteberg until after he is introduced as part of the new team that is being assembled. The character of Billy Beane is also shown juggling his professional life while trying to raise his daughter Casey Beane (played by Kerris Dorsey) who he co-parents with his ex-wife Sharon Beane (Robin Wright who also plays in the House of Cards with Kevin Spacey). Of course, there are more actors/actresses who feature in the film and the following are some of the bonus features of the dvd; Blooper-Brad Loses It, Deleted Scenes, Billy Bean Re-Inventing the Game, Moneyball Playing the Game. The end of the film lists that Billy Beane turned down the Red Sox Offer of $12,500,00 and chose to stay in Oakland California. Some of the credits list that Bennet Miller directed the film, Brad Pitt produced Moneyball, and this film is based on the book by Michael Lewis. I am thrilled to say that this is another film that my husband sat with me to watch and also liked.
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon June 19, 2016
This movie is based on a true story and is a must see for baseball fans, especially those who play fantasy ball. After losing his top ballplayers, Oakland A's GM Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) finds himself a computer nerd (Jonah Hill) to pick players for him, players that are cheap. They sign a catcher (Chris Pratt) who can't throw, an outfielder (Nick Porrazzo) with an iron glove, a "has been" with bad knees (Stephen Bishop), and a pitcher (Casey Bond) who throws underhand. The stat they use to obtain talent in the film is primarily "On Base Percentage" (OBP).

Philip Seymour Hoffman, nearly unrecognizable with his head shaved, plays Art Howe the field manager of the team. The movie is interrupted by flash backs in Billy Beane's baseball player career, and his present home life. Art Howe doesn't like the team he has been dealt and fails to manager the team according to the expectations of Billy Beane. This is primarily the fault of Billy Beane who failed to bring in Art Howe on the decision making process to obtain the new players. Howe looks at them as being defective and unusable.

A person can watch and enjoy "Secretariat" without being a horse race fan. This movie is different in that it incorporates a lot of baseball jargon. It attempts to have universal appeal, but I would suspect non-fans might lose interest. If your girl friend is not a baseball fan, you might first wean her in with that Dru Barrymore Redsox Movie.
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon December 31, 2011
I am not a follower of baseball, although I followed last seasons home town events with interest with the Giants, even watching the final of the World Series for the first time. Despite my rudimentary knowledge of the game, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

Moneyball tells of how Billy Beane, the Oakland A's general manager played by Brad Pitt, faced with limited resources, and losing some of his star players to the Yankees hires a Yale economics graduate and statistician played by Jonah Hill, and devises a system for buying undervalued players to replace the likes of Giambi, by looking at players in new ways.

It's a calculated risk that flies in the face of conventional wisdom, and met with much resistance on the field, within the club, and from the media. Suffice to say that previous methods of picking though amusing were highly dubious.

"He has an ugly girlfriend."

"What does that mean?"

"Ugly girlfriend means he has no confidence."

Memorable movie lines:

"The problem we're trying to solve is that there are rich teams, and there are poor teams. Then there's 50 feet of crap. And then there's us. It's an unfair game."

"I hate losing. I hate losing more than I love winning."

The screenplay was written by Aaron Sorkin who created West Wing and won the Best Screenplay Oscar for The Social Network, and slides comfortably home with this effort.

Philip Seymour Hoffman plays the unhappy team coach with whom Beane bumps heads. Robin Wright Penn plays his ex wife, now with a new man who does not follow baseball.

The character of Beane as depicted by Pitt seems somewhat oddball, so one wonders if Beane is really this odd, or if the screenwriter is imposing his own don't explain philosophy on the character. Brad loves to play with the eccentricites of his characters, whether it's outright craziness as in Twelve Monkeys or a thick accent as in Snatch. This really makes the movie, as Brad gives one of his best performances.

Even though I don't follow baseball, I do love a great story, and I can relate as a soccer follower, because we share a passion for a game, and can understand the frustration of supporting a team that has to make sacrifices of favorite players, and has less money than the big teams to compete for the same trophies.

So, if you're like me and don't usually follow baseball, I think you will like the movie because it's a good story, and you will love the quirkiness of the characters and their relationships. In the movie Beane has to make a very big decision, so there was an emotional bit where Beane is in the car by himself at the end, which I liked. I loved the relationhip with his daughter, and the overall shenanigans as he bumps heads with the other characters. I think Brad Pitt will probably gt an Oscar nomination for his prformance.

If you do follow baseball, you will probably enjoy it even more than I did.

Moneyball gained six Oscar nominations including Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Actor for Brad Pitt, and Best Supporting Actor for Jonah Hill.

I think you will enjoy it, and I hope this was helpful.
on October 21, 2017
One of my favorite movies and great price point.
on May 11, 2017
I watched several times. I love brat pitt. Enjoyed.
on March 26, 2014
“Not winning the last game makes no difference if you’ve won twenty”that was one good
line from this movie,I can’t believe I enjoy this movie this much,to see how the baseball world
works,I guess some people see these guys (the players)and think all the antics they do on and
off the field, just comes from them being brats maybe sometimes,but after seeing this I have a
totally different perspective on the way the baseball world works,it’s not easy getting fired from your
job every month or year,even if you make 30 Million,I’ve hold from watching this for a long time and
now that I’ve seen it,some parts of the movie was very emotional for me,it’s really well played out to
the point of giving the viewer the cut-throat world of baseball, “Money-Ball” work on so many levels,
especially “Jonah Hill” which I love in this movie,he played the young just out of Yale-educated economist
so good,I almost didn’t see Jonah Hill as the actor that he is,it was that good, I mean “Brad Pitt” is Brad Pitt
he’s done way more movies than J.Hill,sometimes I caught Brad looking at the camera to read his lines,
Very Good Movie...