countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on March 21, 2014
As an admitted Apple fan boy, I can't help but admire the Apple-like qualities, the intelligently simple but feature-rich and...! gorgeous design of this product. I think it is revolutionary in a "thermostats before Nest vs. the era of Nest" way.
In combination with the online/mobile access it truly is practical and informative. The learning capability is a lot more useful than one could anticipate. It will learn your preference for temperature, and relearn these preferences if they change with the seasons. The auto-away feature is a blessing for people with irregular schedule. One caveat: if you stay home on a week day and fall asleep on the couch it will shut down your heat/AC (unless you sleep walk or snore extremely loudly).
Can I justify spending $175 +govt. ransom for the Nest?
I know that it minds heating or cooling better than a rigid program or a manual adjustment routine would however the cost of electricity and gas are only a fraction of my PowerStream and Enbridge bills. So it might take years to recover the cost of Nest by saving on these items but all those years living with this wonderful gadget... It sure is worth it!
on July 25, 2013
I love my Nest. Bought it here and installed it last November. Went 1st Gen to save a few $, no regrets. I'm in Alberta, so winter can be harsh on the prairies. I have to admit, I can be forgetful and a wuss. If I remembered to turn the old thermostat down at bedtime, I hated to get out of my cozy bed to a frosty house. I often did not turn the temperature down as much because of that. My work schedule can be irregular, so no way for the Nest to truly learn it, but I easily program in my schedule for the week using the iPhone app. Using my settings and the early on, I turn the heat down more than I ever did at night and wake up to a warm home. The same goes with our recently installed central air, the house is a nice cool temperature when I get home from work, warmer but bearable for my dogs during the day.

It does tend to cycle my equipment more than I had heard before, I assume this is the charging process, but I am not aware of any damage to my system. It loses Wifi at times, but not too frequently. The leaf setting challenges me to try to save more energy, and I love the monthly reports that show household usage as well as how you measure up against other users. If my parents did not already have a programmable thermostat, I would have bought them one of these because I believe it is very simple and user-friendly. And if they were to have trouble, I would be able to program and troubleshoot theirs remotely from the app as well!

I could not be happier with the Nest, and all the perks that go with it!
on June 25, 2013
I would like to say I was really looking forward to this product. When I got it I was so excited it was boxed beautifully, shipping from Amazon was super quick. The box and the contents really screamed quality. They thought of everything, they included face plates to cover existing holes, included a screw driver just a professional product. The installation was simple the setup was simple, setting up the schedules and everything was beautiful. Even setting it up on my phone was quick and very useful.

Here is where the problem starts, at first I don't think I was really paying attention but the device would cause my AC unit to do a hard shut off every 3 - 4 minutes in random intervals then turn it back in within 1 - 2 seconds causing a nasty knock on my compressor. I thought at first this was maybe some energy saving setting so I tried to turn it off. I tried everything turned off air sense everything just wouldn't work. I double checked my wiring going into the furnace and everything just seemed okay. I went online to see if I was the only one having this problem but I wasn't there seems like there are a few people with the same issue. I called customer service and basically found out that the device pulls power from the G wire if no C is present to charge the internal batteries, and in some AC units this drain would cause the AC unit to shut down. Their solution was to run a separate C wire, since I only had a 4 wire system running another wire would involve me tearing down a wall I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of it. I find this to be a design flaw, a better solution would be pull power from the wire only when the AC or heater isn't running to charge the batteries, in either case I just decided to return the item. Note my $20 thermostat works without a problem just not as cool as this one. A real shame.

It looks like my experience is unusual. It is a real shame if it worked for me I would have given this a 5* rating hands down.
on April 17, 2013
I have tried thermostat/timer units in my house before. Comparing them to the Nest is like comparing a go-cart to a Porsche. Nest is easy to install, easy to use, and starts saving you money immediately. The ability to control it remotely is an added bonus. I highly recommend it! I went with the 1st generation as it is only slightly deeper in profile, and I read somewhere it has a better warranty than the 2nd generation.

Update 12/4/13:
I was telling everyone who would listen about how much I loved my Nest. Then last month they 'pushed' it a software update related to their new (and misguided, in my opinion) Protect fire/CO2 alarm. Now my Nest's battery dies when it is connected to WiFi (the remote connection is the main reason I bought the thing) causing it to stop heating my home properly (or at all if I had let the battery die completely). It's -25 outside. I shudder to think what will happen the next time they push an update and I'm away from home and unable to fix it even after hours on hold for tech support and reading the forums looking for my own fix. For now WiFi is turned off while I see if they're going to get a fast update out to repair it, or if it's going in the skeet launcher as a clay-pigeon substitute.

If you're shopping this product I would highly recommend spending some serious time browsing the Nest Community forum. There are a lot of unhappy folk posting there right now.

Nest seems to think that crucial home products like thermostats and fire alarms are AOK to play with and to have rely on unstable updates and wireless connections. I was considering a Protect fire alarm until I discovered that it does not support a wired connection between alarms so that when one alarm activates they all do. They want to rely on a wireless connection, thereby ensuring that the Protect does not function with your existing units so that you have to replace them all. This is why I initially thought it was a misguided product. Now I am certain I will NEVER have one (as if I'm going to trust them with my life). They will get this one chance from me, if they fail to fix the T-stat fast and permanently I won't be trusting them with frozen water pipes in my home either.
on December 24, 2012
From the designers of the iPhone comes a superb device for the modern home. Very well packages and complete with everything necessary to install it even a set of screwdrivers. Very clear instructions on how to install are given as well as a link to an instructional video. It took me 30 minutes to install the unit. I had occasion to phone for support, which was provided immediately by a bilingual technician based in Utah. He patiently stepped me through the set-up, which was very straightforward. This device requires internet access 24 hours a day , so that it can check the weather forecast, acquire new software updates and be remotely accessed from your mobile smartphone or laptop. The amazing thing about this thermostat is that it is is quite automatic in the sense that it determines your lifestyle and adjust the heating/cooling by itself. One can override it as you wish. For instance it will automatically determine the time it will take the furnace to reach the desired temperature for the time that it knows that you get up in the morning. It senses when you leave the house for work and adjusts the temperature accordingly. If you go away for a weekend, one can access the unit remotely from a smartphone or laptop to tell it to start the furnace or ac unit in order to have a comfortable house when you get back. It takes about a week to learn your habits or you can provide some assistance. The remote client shows a log of furnace/ac unit usage, the schedule it is using as well as the settings information. The thermostat can be locked to stop children tampering with it.
The only difference between version 1 and 2 is that the latter is thinner (doesn't protrude from the wall as far as v1).
A very impressive piece of engineering!
on January 2, 2013
This product is genius. I bought the 1st gen as it was discounted leading up to the holidays. For the small difference in the usual price, however, I would go for the 2nd generation version, but the functionality you get with this version (via the update-able software) is identical - it just looks slightly different (20% thinner and a smooth sensor panel on the front).

It is easy to install and looks great. The functionality is amazing - it just works. It quickly learnt our schedule and is super easy to operate from the unit itself (which feels like top quality when turning the 'dial') and the ultra-slick, high functioning iPhone app. Love that I can set it to away during the day and then make sure that the house is warm by the time we get home all from the app.

I never thought owning a thermostat could be so addictive and fun (maybe I should get out more?!)
on January 20, 2016
These good must be written from the summer or fake.

We bought two Nest thermostats, both broke when it got cold! Nest support even acknowledged it, all we get the ten times we've called is take it off the wall every day and charge it and don't use the special functions. Maybe by the spring they'll have a fix but the programmers are busy working on newer projects.

Absolute garbage! Never buy these, stay away!! Both ours broke at the same time, but in different buildings at different locations. Nest refuses to refund these pricey pieces of garbage or even help us. They said its not their fault because they know about it. Seriously!? We went and bought an Ecobee3 for our house and it works so much better and reliably. Looks like I need to drop more cash to replace the second nest..

I wish Amazon coudl give -negative star reviews
on July 20, 2013
Awesome product, works great, great features.

My only complaint is that I had to add a common wire to my system, which it doesn't explain well in any of the literature. Without a common wire, the thermostat will charge while the system (furnace, a/c, whatever) is running, and when the system is off, the Nest will attempt to charge it's battery is by cycling on and off the system. The nest is supposed to do this fast enough that the system doesn't have time to start up, but on some systems this can be troublesome, and it also takes forever to charge this way. When I first got my Nest and didn't have a common wire hooked up, it's battery was so dead that it wouldn't even boot up to be able to turn my furnace on.
Despite this, I think it's a great product, I just wish they explained the charging strategy a little better in the instructions.
on July 29, 2013
After couple of weeks of use: I'll make it short

Pros: Love the product, love the appearance, lots of features, easy to install

Cons: Mobile app was giving me hard time. Only 20% of time I was able to control the unit using my phone. A questions mark appeared and the NEST could not be waken up by my cellphone. After disabling AUTO AWAY mode on the thermostat, my success rate is about 95% positive that my cell phone can operate the thermostat.
My NEST is little bulky and 2nd generation is somewhat thinner (about a 1/4") so it could be a way to go for some of you.

Overall: This product is great if it works on your cellphone since in most cases that is the purpose to spend so much money for one of these thermostats. Very cool design, very easy to install. I would recommend this product to anybody.
on January 9, 2013
When I opened the box, it reminded me of Apple packaging. I realized last week that an ex Apple executive is involved somewhere in The Nest.

I have owned it for about 3 months.

Looks beautiful.
Operates exactly as expected.
Setup was as easy as imaginable.
Controlling via the internet has not failed once.
When people complement you on the beauty of your thermostat, you know someone put some thought into designing it.

My setup: Heat only (Gas). Single thermostat. Manually scheduled (I don't use the Learning function). The web interface for setting a schedule was as simple as using a calendar and copy paste function.

I called the customer service before buying it to see what type of service I would get if things go wrong. It was quick and accommodating.