Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on March 1, 2014
I bought one with a tight fitting neoprene pouch and I found that very convenient package -- it fits the cable as well and provides adequate protection.

Positives:
Very fast, very portable and convenient (port powered). The supplied software is very useable.

Negatives:
None, really.

Conclusion:
I would recommend this hard disk to anyone with a computer. It is much faster than on-line storage, it fits anywhere and the supplied software makes it a secure and easy-to-use backup/storage/transfer device.
on July 30, 2013
Got this to replace a 1.5Tb MyBook which was making suspicious noises. I was really surprised when I got the package at how small the thing is at less than 3/4 of an inch thick and the other dimensions about the same as my smart phone. Unlike the MyBook, it doesn't make any noise, doesn't get hot and doesn't have a clunky power supply (and it's 2 Tb). It's a brilliant piece of technology and I'm very happy with it. The software is easy to use and it monitors the drive to detect any possible problems. The MyBook was a hassle to take with you, but this little gem just fits in a coat pocket. You can get a case for it if you want extra protection. Love it.
on January 6, 2016
No issues in over a year since purchased. Shortly after stopped buying these because they were too small! Unbelievable. Only 2TB and 3TB since then. Anyone remember when a 500MB hard drive was huge???
Anyway, these are good hard drives and well worth the price. I have 14 WD Passport drives and will be getting more.
on June 11, 2013
This portable hard drive is great! It works well and quickly (I use it to store and play games off of, as well as the usual storing pictures, documents, etc.). My laptop recognized it right away and I had no problems with it. Just a simple plug-in and go. The hard drive itself fits in my hand, is attractive, and runs quietly. I especially like that all it needs is the USB cable (no power cable needed) to run. I'd been eyeing it for months and finally decided to buy it. I'm happy I did. Good price too.
on May 4, 2018
I have used these as backups for several years for myself and clients. Having experienced a failure, I then discovered there was no means of retrieving the data without using expensive professional recovery services. The hard-drive has a proprietary connection which doesn't allow the drive to be connected to another enclosure.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon April 3, 2014
I use this as an emergency backup for my laptop. If all my other backups fail or my house goes on fire I still have everything saved on this. It's light and compact but feels pretty cheap compared to my other similar drives. Possibly a trade off of keeping the weight down. I would not want to drop this for fear it may crack easily. It might not but the feeling of the plastic gives me that impression.
on November 13, 2013
This is great to use as a backup, even though I have not used the software included. The only complaint is that the cable included is extremely short. If you are thinking of running this from behind your computer tower onto your desk then you will need an extension USB 3.0 cable since the other one is way too short. IF you want to use it as a portable drive for a laptop then the cable is the perfect length. Other issue is the LED constantly blinks when in standby mode which can be a pain at night. But that's an easy fix, some electrical tape to cover it. Other than that the drive works, and is reasonably fast.
One person found this helpful
on September 7, 2013
Got this as a way to keep all my digital movies all together, as we're in the process of moving, and so far, it works awesome, and my computers are all around 6 years old, so no way to use the faster capabilities of the USB 3.0, but even the 2.0 goes nice and fast.

It also looks like it'll fit my entire movie collection with space to spare which is awesome - I was hoping to keep them all in one place.
on November 25, 2013
Bought it as a gift so I could only try it for a couple of tests.
Speed was ok, around 50 MB write and 150MB read for a large .iso file.
Still impressive by how light it is, highly recommended for traveling.
Surprised by seeing that two other friends also had similar WD usb hard drive.

Only (almost) issue, usb connector on the drive side might get disconnected if moving the HD, also, USB cable seems too short for a desktop (might be ideal length for a laptop though).
on December 28, 2012
This is the second external Western Digital hard drive I've bought for myself, and I've also bought a couple for other people as gifts. Their hard drives are no nonsense, easy to use and reliable. I also love these little Passport drives for being so compact and not requiring a separate power cord. Great portability.

I bought this one for use with my new MacBook Pro, and am very happy with the speed offered by USB 3.0. If you don't want to spend the money on Thunderbolt, go with USB 3.0 - just check to make sure your PC supports it. Of course, these are backwards compatible with USB 2.0, so if you just want to be a little future proof, you can't go wrong here.

It's a product that'd work with PC, too.

Highly recommended, whether you need a backup drive, or just something to ferry around larger files.
2 people found this helpful