countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout home All-New Kindle sports tools Registry

Format: Blu-ray|Change

This is a great concert film. Shot on 16mm film (as per PG's web site) this film has been transferred from those negatives. The sound is nothing short of phenomenal. The show it's self mostly drawn from his then current album Us. The set does go back to great tracks like San Jacinto and Solsbury Hill from his earlier records. His band as always is top notch. Tony Levin is here on bass and Manu Katchie (not sure if that is spelt right) on drums for what would be his last tour with Gabriel. In fact it would be ten and a bit years after this before we got a new album from Gabriel (not counting Ovo). He has a then almost unknown Paula Cole on backing vocals and David Rhodes on guitar.
As for the grain/bad picture argument. This was shot on film but as I said 16mm so as with Monterey Pop or the recently released Hendrix plays Berkeley you have to expect a little bit of grain. Yes some directors do use grain to give the film a look. Like David Mallet using it on David Gilmour's "Remember That Night" so it could be either here. The 16mm used here I am sure is a lot better then the film used in the late 60's. I am just glad it was not shot on Video like so many other concert films of that period are. The transfer is much better then the laser disc, VHS or the DVD. Looks great on a HD TV.
This would easily go down as one of my top 10 Favorite concert films and I do have a very large collection (around the 300 mark) to compare it to. I am really happy to see this finally come out. Up till now on Blu ray there has only been New Blood with an orchestra. Which depending on witch fans you talk to either worked or didn't do anything for them at all. Now if they could get around to releasing POV from the So tour that would be great. With the So back to front tour starting in September and So being rereleased in a number of versions plus a classic album feature on it maybe we will see it in Septembet. This should keep me more then happy until then.
If you are not familiar with Mr. Gabriel's work you should check it out. In my opinion he is one of the great music visionaries of our time. Along with Trent Reznor, Kate Bush, Laurie Anderson and Tom Waits to just name check a few, I am not guaranteeing you will like it but if you love music it will at least keep you interested. If I could suggest two CD's I would say Gabriel 3 (the one were his face looks like a melting painting on the front) and Passion (The Last Temptation of Christ soundtrack) would be a good place for the brave at heart to start. If you like his more main stream stuff pick up So or Us which are brilliant records as well!
on June 19, 2004
Peter Gabrial: Vocals, piano, harmonica, tamborine and paddle Tony Levin: Bass, piano, tamborine and vocals David Rhodes: Guitar and vocals Shankar: Violin, tamborine and vocals Paula Cole: Vocals Levon Minassen: Doudouk Jean Claude Naimo: Synthesizers, piano, organ and vocals Manu Catche: Drums, tamborine and vocals
Whilst I dont have the DVD I have the video which has a fine transfer and no dubbing so this review is based mainly on that. This is very good. The band play well and Peter shows his abilities as a dancer and actor (the visuals in themselves are amazing). Peters vocals are as strong as ever and the compositions (all as always written or cowritten by Gabriel are all great. Forget Phil Collins Live, for the ultimate live music expieriance watch a Peter Gabriel concert.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 26, 2012
Probably one of the slickest concert movies in the 90s and a precursor to the slick concert he did from the Growing Up tour and after. Upgraded and cleaned up picture with the same resolution as movie theaters ["super2K"]. Released in stereo and DTS 5.1 [too bad not Master audio]. Really, with the exception of the cleaned up picture and the addition of Red Rain [which was on the CD release when the concert wsas originally released], there is no real additions to the Blu-ray. The original DVD had a nearly 8 minute teaser of the Growing Up 2002-3 tour. It has been replaced by The Rhythm of the Heat off the New Blood London 2011 concert release -no idea why except to promote that release.

Oddly that there is no record label intros on the Blu-ray. Goes straight into the menu - which is boring compared to the original DVD release.

As the concert was filmed over 2 nights in Modena, Italy it is too bad that no additional footage was included. After all this is under 105 minutes - less than a typical PG concert.
on April 16, 2003
There is nothing else out there that is even close to this DVD purchase.
You will spend this same amount on an unrewarding stereo CD.
For that same expenditure as an ordinary CD: you get an unprecendented DTS sound recording with video.
Forget about any other previous commentary about the video quality, they don't understand that this recording was made pre-digital almost 10 years ago in 1994 . You must understand the technology displacement and dismiss deficiencies as "history".. Will the video grain bother you? ABSOLUTELY NOT!
just close your eyes, you won't need to watch anything.
I seriously doubt your ability to remain seated during the very first track: "Come Talk To Me"
If you get to track 5 "Shaking The Tree", and you are still sitting down...
you and I do not share music compatibility. Quite simply: Go away.
You can NOT possibly get to track 8 "Kiss That Frog", without jumping up to your feet...
At that point you are half way through the DVD, and the excellence is totally sustained throughout the next half of this incredible DVD.
***Fire Trucking Amazing.***
Secret World!!
In Your Eyes!!!
Over and over and over again you will play.
Is this a positive review? DUH!!!
I recommend:
You must have an "Air Guitar", "Air Drum Set", or some another phantom instruments to play. Have it ready on your very first play this DVD! You're gonna need it.
If you already have the 6 speakers:
you pay only [$]. You will finally understand why you paid whatever big bucks it was you paid for your existing DTS surround sound environment.
If you don't have all 6 speakers or DTS:
this DVD accommodates what you already have with simple Stereo or Dolby 5.1.
But I warn you.... Scary!! this DVD will compell you to spend $$ hundreds, even a $$ thousand $$ dollars $$ to upgrade your system.
Is is THAT GOOD? : Yes it is. Period. I love my 12" subwoofer!. You're gonna want one.
The 1994 video is : 1994 technology. Close your eyes. You won't need the video.
The DTS remixed 1994 audio is : Priceless.
I got a bunch of DTS DVDs. Sure, I like "Armageddon" and "U-571" and "Shrek"....
but this... ! Fire Trucking Amazing.
on April 22, 2003
I got the VHS of this concert a couple of years ago. The DVD is a vast improvement in almost every way.
For me, this tour was one of the best PG concerts I've ever seen. The "Growing Up" tour was incredible, but I think this show had better showmanship and activity--and also a bit of a better selection of songs.
Really, who is a better showman out there than Peter Gabriel? I don't think any other act--with the possible exception of Pink Floyd/Roger Waters or *possibly* Tool--approaches a concert as theater to the extent that PG does. It isn't just the songs, it is an artistic push for mood, costume, lighting, and *story*. On this tour, Peter and band use two stages (one male, one female) connected by a catwalk and moving sidewalks.
The extras are also great with a "making of" doc that has Peter deconstructing the show and the sets. Rather than pure self-promotion, this segment really gives you a feel for all of the blood, sweat, and tears that went into creating this show. There's also a really great remix of "Steam", a pretty neat timelapse of setting up and striking the show, as well as previewing "Growing Up".
My one complaint about this DVD is that it is pretty clear at least some of Peter's vocals were re-recorded in studio. There's no breathing (PG spends about a third of the concert in motion), no mic fades, and the audio doesn't always match up with the video. This is pretty typical of PG who apparently did the same for the VHS version, the Secret World CD and Peter Gabriel Plays Live CDs (he said as much in the "Plays Live" liner notes). For me it is maddening. I've seen PG live 6 times now (soon to be 7 or 8 as the Growing Up 2003 tour shapes up) and I have never heard a missed note or a crack. Even if such a thing should show up, it's a LIVE performance, isn't it? The perfectionist leanings that PG has are admirable, but I believe this goes to far and takes away from his live recordings.
Most people don't seem to mind this, but I wanted to point it out.
To those of you complaining about the video compared to the VHS version, I have both and I've watched them closely: The VHS is full-screen and cuts off the edges. The DVD is not a cropping. The picture in the DVD is a little darker, but a whole lot sharper. I'm no expert but I believe that when the VHS edit was mastered, it was "sweetened" to make it look more like video: a little more colorful and brighter but a little more distorted. This looks more like film.
As for the audio, you can't compare the two: the VHS comes nowhere near the quality of the DVD. I can't compare it to the LD version, but the DVD mix is much more discrete and allows for a better feel for the full range of percussion--though Tony Levin fans might want to turn the bass up a bit; I think the low range was de-emphasized a bit to keep it from taking over.
Overall, this is an excellent DVD and well worth buying even if you've already bought the VHS. If only more acts put as much effort into their live performances as Peter does.
on May 20, 2000
My friends saw this tour live and I didn't realize what I had missed . . . until I saw this video.
For those who are tired of bands looking like they're still in the recording studio while performing live, this video is a must!
Peter Gabriel, and co., developed an elaborate and visually stunning performance - on two separate stages nonetheless - that can get even video audiences out of their seats and cheering.
This is not a concert - it's a theatrical event!
For Peter Gabriel Fans, this concert was about 90% new material. Most of that was from the "Us" album. However, the personal nature of the album was mirrored well by the song selection and powerful performances by Peter Gabriel and Paula Cole. These songs include "Blood of Eden", "In Your Eyes", "Don't Give Up" and "Shaking The Tree".
Other faves include "Sledgehammer", "Steam" and "Kiss That Frog". "Salisbury Hill" is a welcome entry, and "Across the River" is a moving performance. [There are more songs, but space here is limited.]
The band is in top form: Along with Paula Cole are familiar faces like Tony Levin (Bass), David Rhodes (Guitar) and Manu Katche (Drums), with Jean-Claude (Keyboards) and Shankar (violin) rounding out the main band.
Words are not enough. You must see it to get a taste of this truly monumental tour. I don't want to spoil anything, but I especially enjoyed the last part of "Secret World" near the end of the concert.
on August 4, 2003
Well, first, I am a huge Peter Gabriel fan. I have been watching the Secret World on VHS for about 9 years and think it is the most amazing rock concert one could hope to see. Saw Gabriel live last November and I like this video better. Now, I have been blessed with the DVD. Second, I am not a videophile or audiophile. Still, I enjoy a good picture and good sound. I played this on the DTS audio track on my Yamaha home amp and JVC flat screen TV. I thought the picture was great and the audio track was awesome. I often heard very strong bass coming from Tony Levin and do not have a subwoofer. I commented at the outset that the sync was very good and noticed how often the lips and vocals seemed together. Now, maybe there are a few places where this is not the case. But, third, I don't watch a video to see how many mistakes I can find. Sitback, and listen. This is amazing music from a man who has been and is one of the most creative musical minds around. When I have a lot of time on my hands, I might do a side by side comparison with the VHS, but not for now. If you like Peter Gabriel more than a little bit, then get this.
on October 27, 2003
I've read the reviews and can understand the frustrations expressed. I've heard complaints about video quality. While the quality could have been better, it could have been much worse. There may be other issues with video but I didn't have them. I suspect those with large screen TVs will notice a bit of graininess as I did detect some when examining the picture closely.
I wanted to discuss the audio. It should be noted that this DVD has three different audio tracks. Dolby 2.0, Dolby 5.1 and DTS. When I originally popped in the DVD I paid no attention to selecting what audio track I wanted. I figured my DVD player would select the appropriate track. During the playback I was extremely disappointed at the lack of 'depth' and bass in the recording.
When reading reviews of a couple people saying the bass was great, I went into 'audio setup' to see what it was set at. Lo and behold the default was set to **DTS** when I just have a basic 2 speaker setup. Switching the audio to Dolby 2.0 made a significant difference in the audio quality and brought back bass quality to the recording. It's not quite as strong as it was on VHS, but it's still quite decent.
So if you do get (or have) this DVD, use the audio setup from the main menu if you're not using a DTS receiver. If you have two speakers, choose Dolby 2.0 - only use Dolby 5.1 mode if you have that setup (6 speakers) and only use DTS if you have a DTS receiver. Make sure your audio is set BEFORE you play this disc!
I won't dwell too much on the issue of overdubs. I would have wished that Peter didn't overlay new audio over old. It's not so much that destroys the audio (it doesn't) but moreso that this was a show in it's own time. Like a glimpse into the past, it's meant to be seen and heard as it occurred.
Nevertheless, it's an outstanding show. I agree with others in that it plays more like a performance and not a simple concert. I consider this a must buy for any Peter Gabriel fan, as well as anyone who appreciates music of this genre.
on April 29, 2003
True, there is some grain to be seen on this DVD, being that it was shot on film in 1993, mostly in low light. It looks a lot like the first half of U2's "Rattle and Hum," but not quite that grainy. There are some moments on the DVD when the grain can't be seen; even when it can, it isn't that big of a distraction, at least on my 37-inch TV. Gabriel and his band are nothing short of amazing. Their sound is tight, energetic and moving, for lack of better descriptives. Some have complained that the sound and video don't always link together - I only counted a couple times where it is obvious, when Tony Levin takes his right hand away from his bass on "Sledgehammer" although his playing still is heard. (They did film/tape two nights at the same venue in Italy, I think.) But hey, let's face it, almost every concert film has had some post-gig doctoring - Levon Helm has gone on the record saying his drumming is about the only thing live on the Band's "The Last Waltz" becaues he refused to overdub his drum parts. "Secret World Live" is one of the greatest concert films ever, period. This version of "Solisbury Hill" could be the greatest incarnation of Gabriel's declaration of independence from his former band, Genesis. The sight of him trapped inside a red phone booth on the opener, the then-new "Come Talk To Me," is great music theater without ever being campy or overblown. Gabriel is a true master of the stage - he spends about 97 percent of his time in motion. The DVD is well worth its affordable price, even though the picture isn't immaculate like some think it should be. Actually, the grain adds atmosphere and character to the film, at least on smaller to mid-sized TVs.
on April 1, 2003
First I preordered this DVD, since it is one of my favourites concerts on VHS. Then I read all the bad reviews on this DVD-release. Finally I got my own copy and whatched it to judge for myself.
This is more than a concert, it is a piece of art. The show is like a musical play, delivered with a diversity and such a warmth. All band members seems to have a good time. There is only one Gabriel... and the musicians are extraordinary good. Bassplayer and drummer really grooves tight together.
The widescreen video is not that good, a little grainy and blurry, especially when the whole stage is shown. But it is not that bad that some other reviewers have stated. I really like the 16:9 format and I do not bother if the video is not perfect.
On the other hand you get a splendid DTS 5.1 audio track. The mix is perfect with Gabriel's voice up front. The female singer's voice is a bit burried in the sound on some tracks, but perfect on some, like Don't give up. Alltogether the 5.1 sound is an incredible improvement compared to former CDs and VHS. If you do not like the DTS track on this DVD, go out and buy yourself a new audio equipment.
The last issue: Do I hear what I see? On this one I can agree with some of the critisism. Even if the vocals and playing are live (maybe not 100% though), the editing is done so that you, from time to time, loose the presence feeling that is so important on a live DVD. For some strange reason this aspect was better delivered on the VHS. In all other aspects this DVD blow the VHS version away totally.