Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite sports Tools

on February 10, 2016
I've had this a few years now and it's great.
What I didn't realize when I got it is that the actual hard drive can disconnect from the cord/attachment and then you can connect any other SATA hard drive with the open connector. This was great because a friends laptop failed and I was able to pull their drive out and just plug it into a different computer to recover all their data.
Never had any issues with this drive and if I can my next drive will likely be the same kind but with more storage.
on January 2, 2013
To start off I love the product. It is a great size, not too loud, has a sleek professional finish and the cable stays in nice and tightly.

Laptop Specs:
I5-3210m processor
Windows 8
8gb ram

** PROS **

* transfer speed *
Large files I average about 75-85 mb/s , and with many small files it averages 30-50mb/s (which is still faster than I would get with a USB 2.0 drive)

* Software*
The backup software can let you set up automatic backups and you can backup files or photos from your social networks to save you time

* Ease of use *
Literally all that has to be done is plug in the cable to the hard drive and then to your laptop. I didn't have to install any drivers and None of the software is mandatory which is why i didn't bother with it.

** CONS **

nothing to do with this hard drive but i was really disappointed that the drive was delivered and left in my mailbox at -28 degrees outside. it was there for 2 days before i was able to get it.
on May 24, 2014
Good amount of space, unless you are a movie enthusiast who requires more than 1TB. It is USB 3.0 ready which is nice for high speed transfers, I wasn't able to test that though.

There is a LED that glows white when the HD is connected which is a nice addition. I can't comment on the sturdiness, but I would say that if you drop this from two-feet it will probably break.

My biggest complaint is that the whole exterior is plastic. There's no rubber grip to hold it in place so it is subject to sliding off the table if you aren't careful(considering the USB cable to be quite short).
on November 1, 2013
When I first bought a portable Seagate drive(320 GB FreeAgentGo) I was very pleased with the performance and feel. It had a nice finish to the case with a little layer of rubber to the bottom for grip on a desk. I was so happy with it that I bought the sleeve and docking station.

Naturally when it came time to get another I chose the 500 GB model but in the 1 year since I had bought the first there was a noticeable degradation in the quality of the case. The plastic felt flimsier and it lacked that nice rubberised bottom. But still, it was a good performing drive in a sleek little case.

Time has come again for another upgrade and the downward trend in the case has continued. While it might look like a brushed metal case it is plastic, and a very thin piece of it at that. They've even done away with the little bit of metal in their logo and just painted it on. This might seem like nitpicking but a portable drive should stand up to the rigours of being carried around. Thankfully though it fits the sleeve for the FreeAgentGo so it's durability is less of an issue for me.

Good size for the dollar and the vastly quicker USB 3.0 make it a great value. All the drives have been quite and keep relatively cool, just be carefully with it when lugging it around.

Finally, don't be afraid to get rid of the dashboard software and video's they've included, they're a waste of space and unnecessary(also available on their website if you really want it). Dragging and dropping is dead simple enough
on January 20, 2014
I was searching for a Thunderbolt and / or FireWire capable external drive to help me transfer rapidly data for my clients.
This device is only compatible with USB3 which is not compatible with older computer.
I read Thunderbolt and Firewire compatible, it also said (In the box: USB cable...) I assumed the the box was compatible if you purchase separate Thunderbolt and / or FireWire cables, Wrong!!
If you want that thing to be compatible with Thunderbolt, you need to purchase a "Seagate Backup Plus Portable Thunderbolt Adapter" for the price of 115.15$ Canadian. Does that make any sense to anybody?
I guess it's MY fault, I shall never assume!
Returned and rapidly refunded, thanks
on October 23, 2013
Works as expected, no complaints.
I would give it 5 stars if the drive did not include that part that you can see at the top of the picture and that's got an LED light on it. That part is nothing but an adapror from your USB 3.0 cable to another connector, not sure what standard that one is. Maybe there is some good use for it, but that makes the drive bigger. I don't think anything was mentioned about that in the product description.
Also the backup software only allows you to back up the local drives on your computer, and not the external drives. So for me that software is useless.
on January 2, 2013
I currently own a 250gb portable/external drive and the need to keep archived files on the drive forced me to upgrade for more space... I'M GLAD I DID!

As all 2.5” (laptop drives) the form factor is what you expect small and portable. The design is sleek and has a soft white light when power is connected… the light is in no way annoying or obtrusive. I mostly use this on a usb2 connection, which is fine for my casual needs (archiving and accessing recent files when away from home… sometimes the cloud solution doesn’t always work for large files).

I like the included software but mainly manage my own archiving/file-swapping manually. The application also comes with a nifty feature to download all of your facebook & Flikr pictures and videos with literally a few clicks of a button (fyi – you can download all of your facebook details directly from fb). I tested out the schedule backup and it works but can’t speak to how it works out over time as my personal preference is to manually move/copy/delete the transferred files.

all in all great product at a great price $69 (boxing week sale)

Just one note I’d like to leave behind… this specifically stumped me for over 30min. When I installed the software for the very first time the Seagate Dashboard program displayed the following message "Connect a Seagate Dashboard-enhanced drive to activate features". The drive was plugged in and I can access via my windows explorer, however the Seagate Dashboard application would not recognize that I had a valid drive plugged in. After troubleshooting and a few reboots I finally figured out that my memory card reader with 2 memory cards in it (4gb CF and 16gb micro sdhc) caused the hiccup. As soon as I removed my memory card reader from the usb the Seagate Dashboard recognized the 1tb portable drive. Unsure what the root cause was but just pointing out my experience in the event this helps out anyone.
on May 16, 2014
I read all the reviews on Amazon before buying this drive. Obviously I should have paid more attention to the 1-star reviews.

The bottom portion of the drive (where the LED light is) came off today... in total I've used this drive 10 times since I bought it. It is still working but you can imagine how pissed off I am right now given the hours of backup data I've loaded on this drive.

Seagate: how can you ship something like this? this is beyond ridiculous.
on January 11, 2018
This harddrive died on me after prettt light use over a year or so. Pretty unfortunate. Although for the price point it’s really the best you can do.

When it was working it was a fad little harddrive, and it’s great that it works off just usb.
on February 3, 2014
We've been using our Seagate for about a year and have had no issues with it. It is used every day and is plugged into the laptop most of the time. We weren't happy with the backup software that it shipped with but there's no problem using another backup program to automatically backup our system every night.

It has a small footprint and uses just the USB cable, no power cord to worry about. It doesn't seem to get too hot and it's just one of those things that you can plug in and forget about, it sort of minds its own business well.