Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite sports Tools

on February 17, 2013
Julian Fellowes, the writer and master puppeteer of this period drama series has to be acknowledged as the world’s most superb craftsman of TV dramatics. This, the third season, is perhaps the best of the three in terms of dramatic surprises, historic authenticity, outstanding acting and quirky humour. The strength of this grandiose project must also be credited to the vast amount of financial resources available to Fellowes and the producers. The revolving cast of over thirty main characters allows maximum creativity with never a dull moment for the viewing audience. For the fun of it I researched one-on-one interpersonal conflicts and tensions in part five and I found at least eighteen! But these are offset by an equal quantity of positive, affectionate and problem-solving incidents. The humorous comebacks and rejoinders lighten the dialogue whenever it is in danger of becoming too serious or sentimental. This is where Hollywood has much to learn. So many of America’s TV productions are either too crassly edgy, too schmaltzy maudlin and lacking in finesse.

The only weak point in a lengthy series like this is the danger of main characters having to be written out because the actors will no longer continue participating. But, actors have lives too, so we must forgive them. But it presents challenges for the writer to find credible solutions. Being confronted by this necessity to eliminate a main character before the start of the fourth season I thought Fellowes took the easy way out this time. Frankly I thought it lacked realism and could have been done much more creatively. But overall, that misstep does not detract largely from the masterpiece which makes up all of the third season. Bravo!!

Being a huge fan of this series, I hope Maggie Smith will live forever! She is without a doubt one of the top ten British actors of all time.
4 people found this helpful
on August 28, 2013
The show is marvelous! Well written and acted. I purchased the first two seasons from Amazon UK and enjoyed them thoroughly. The problem with this set is that it is full of commercials. They don't occur during the episodes, but there are introductions by the American Masterpiece Theatre and adverts for a cruise line and a clothing company which pop up far too frequently. I purchase DVD TV seasons specifically so that I don't have to watch commercials and this was a total annoyance. It should be noted in the product description that there are commercials included in the set. Other than that the show itself is wonderful.
5 people found this helpful
on July 10, 2013
I'll get this out of the way up front. Hated the ending of this season of Downton - can't believe there was not another way out for this character to leave the series - I mean really - gratuitous tragedy. However, the rest of it was fabulous. The cinematography is outstanding, the acting as always superb, the costumes etc., grand and glorious. Not sure I want to see how Mary reacts to the death of her life's love and her new son's father. I might just leave it at Season 3 and have done with it.
on February 24, 2013
Anyone who's enjoyed the first two seasons will not be disappointed with this one. Just great storytelling all round. The main themes are change and the juxtaposition of the old with the new - everyone is a little bit correct and a little bit wrong on so many topics. You can see everyone's side to the story and it leads to a lot of interesting conversations when you push 'pause'! There are a lot of truly funny bits (Maggie Smith is a hoot!) and a lot of tears. The pace is terrific, too - so much happens in each episode that there's never a dull moment. A truly splendid achievement!
on December 9, 2013
The Season 3 discs of Downton Abbey were fantastic ! I could not rate it any higher, but would if I could. The acting, the story lines, the cinematography, the music score, and even the scenery where it is filmed are all amazing and thoroughly enjoyable. I would recommend the entire series to anyone who loves good film and family entertainment. I look forward to season 4, and hopefully Season 5 and beyond. Nothing in the series has disappointed me, and I doubt the upcoming seasons will, with the excellent writing and direction in this award -winning series for PBS. Thank you for the clean, honest way the stories are told. It's a wonderful way to spend those long winter nights, watching and re-watching (sharing with family and friends) Downton Abbey. A great Christmas gift for anyone who loves good drama and awesome story-telling ! Kudos to the producers, directors, actors, and entire crew of DA. And thanks to PBS for bringing it to North American audiences.
One person found this helpful
on February 26, 2017
A glimpse into a time gone by, the power of position by birth and how wealth doesn't always bring happiness.
The writing of Julious us wonderful
Its a watch over and over series
on April 16, 2013
Each episode is done so tastefully. The characters all come to life. The story/stories are well done.
The plot thickens!
My congratualtions for the great work on the script.
I like to have to keep my wits about me to catch on to all that is happening and said.
I, as the audience, am glued to the set.
Another wonderful season!
Cannot wait for season 4!
on October 17, 2016
Season 3 of this early 20th century drama doesn't disappoint. The whole series is so well written that one often misses clues on the first watch. A must-have for those who want all six seasons.
on June 18, 2015
As always if you are a fan of Downton Abbey you will love this. I did.
Awaiting season six. I don't want the programme to end but realise one day it will.
I then can watch them all through again. Terrific acting by all. A wonderful series.
on August 23, 2013
I purchased Downton Abbey Season 3 the end of June and unfortunately didn't get to view it until the warranty was over on July 29. Disc One refuses to play. It would play intermittently, therefore I was unable to watch it. This was very disappointing. However, the seller of this product went the above and beyond. Sent another set, which somehow got returned, however he never gave up. I even received a phone call to get the correct information. Great service. If there were a 10 Star rating this would be what I would give. Outstanding service. Thank you Noah's Chateau of Deal.