Top positive review
One person found this helpful
A Pleasant Surprise
on December 27, 2015
I purchased this item for myself for Christmas 2015. I only plugged it in today, charged it up, and tried it out. I was really doubtful that I would like this product since it is so small. I chose this unit based on the reviews from previous customers. Although people rated it quite high and had a lot of good things to say, I was still skeptical. It was a lot of money, and I was already disappointed when I tried one of the Bose speakers. I have several Bose headphones, even bought a pair for my daughter, but the Bose speaker did not cut it, so it was returned.
You must know that my husband has a very good ear for music. He studied piano for over 7 years, and attended the Royal Conservatory for music in Montreal. He is even pickier than I am, and he did not like the Bose. The Bose speaker sounded dull, the music did not have that richness to it, and we had tried it in the house!
I charged the Eton Rukus Xtreme this morning. After lunch I decided to try it out. I could not get the unit to play at first, but the instructions did NOT mention to push AND hold onto the power button until a blue light comes on in the set of 4 power indicator buttons. Phew, I was glad that I figured this out as I thought it was defective.
A Barbra Streisand song was playing on my iPod, and the sound that came out of it was beautiful. I even got my husband's attention. He came into the kitchen from the dining room where he was still eating lunch. EVEN HE WAS IMPRESSED. He asked me how much I paid for it, and he was okay with the price. We put on our winter coats and tried it briefly in the garage and outside, and we were still impressed.
The reasons I tried this unit are:
- convenient size: easy to pack and bring along
- light weight: this makes it easy to bring along
- handle: this makes it very easy to carry
- AC outlet versus AUX outlet: they do look the same, as noted by a previous reviewer, but they are identified on the silicone covers for these outlets
- rugged build: I still have to evaluate this in the future when we bring it to the beach, camping, etc... when the weather is warmer.
- power failure: I am thinking that it would be good to have this already charged, and then you can still play your music for entertainment, charge a phone, etc, if the power goes out
- solar panels: I have not seen this feature in any other speaker, and I thought that it was a good idea. I still have to evaluate this, but solar calculators have never steered me wrong, so why not try a speaker?
I do not want to mislead. The sound is not as rich as big 50watt Harmon Kardon speakers in the house OR the Fisher boombox that we use in our backyard, but the sound is quite acceptable. The many features of the unit make this a very convenient item to have for those outdoor adventures when you want to have your music, but a 600 foot extension cord is not possible.
Feb 17, 2016:
I have discovered some great uses for this speaker:
1) I can now play music while having a shower
2) I won an RCA 32" TV just recently, and the audio is VERY tinny. I plugged in this speaker (with my husband's help), and it is 100% IMPROVED!!!