boutiques-francophones Eco Friendly Cleaning and Care Furniture Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on February 16, 2017
I am on my second WF-3640. The first unit worked well for a year or so, but eventually it started producing blurry output. I tried doing all the recommended print head cleaning and alignment steps, with no improvement. These Epson models have a reputation for getting clogged print heads if they are left idle for too long. This was probably the case for my original printer, as I got really busy and had no need of a printer for a month or two at a time. I checked out a couple of YouTube videos, and tried to clear the print heads, but nothing seemed to work. So, since this model is now so inexpensive and I liked the features, I thought I would try my luck with a new unit, and bought one here. After setting it up, I found that there was an alignment issue, with a bottom row of printed pixels offset, making the letters look slanted. I ran the alignment operation, but it did not help (and that is a very weird and tedious operation - it seems like a bad eye test and does not inspire confidence). Also, like some other people here, I found that this unit is picky about cartridges. I was hoping to re-use the black Epson cartridge from my previous unit, which was brand-new, but my new unit would not accept it.
on February 22, 2015
** UPDATED March, 29, 2016 **

Review of the Epson workforce 3640:

Price: 129$ (on sale).

The 3640 is a larger two internal paper tray, more menu options version of the 3620 model, uses the same T252 ink cartridges.

Pros:

Fairly compact size, fast printing, very good photo quality, can use XL and XXL size ink cartridges to save on ink costs, wi-fi and LAN setup was quick and worked with apple and android hardware, Epson software drivers support by older and newer OS's, fax and other com options easy to understand, Scan or copy to SD or USB drive is quick and reliable, 2 internal paper trays supporting upto legal (8.5x14) paper and as small as 3" labels in the back external paper tray, decent touch screen that is resistant to finger prints.
Cons:
No included usb printer cable, installation & warranty registration manual not very good, ADF instructions very confusing for two sided copying, Starter inkjet cartridges with very little ink included (only 4 8.5x11 photos printed out of the starter cartridges), Confusing paper source & type conflicts (explained below), SD or usb drive reader to comptuer very slow, lastly costly regular size ink cartridges.

Good printer with good output and it's quick.

Paper selection problems: Which are not really a problem just an inconvenience, where you place photo paper in the tray and the printer has those draws set to plain paper , you have to tap YES on the printers touch screen to accept. It will still print to the photo paper in the tray as photo paper so you don't actually have a problem.

If you are looking to buy ink you should go for the XL cartridges. Looking around i found that if you are going to get ink and that all your colours are running low at once that you shop around for kits of epson ink (all 4 colours, CYMK) in one pack, these are generally twenty or so dollars less costly than buying the cartridges individually. Black (K) is the color that is most often used so getting an XL or XXL black cartridge by itself makes sense.

The last surprise Epson has in this printer is the maintenance or waste ink box that has a counter microchip similar to those on the ink cartridges. The WIC or waste ink container has a limited lifespan or profit margin for Epson. Once the waste ink counter reaches it's limit even if the waste ink box is only 1/4 full of actual waste ink the printer shuts down and you can't get it back until you replace the waste ink box with a new one.

The Epson OEM ink is the pigment type and it needs to be cleaned much more often than dye base ink or it will crust up a clog the print heads. Pigment ink has a longer fade resistance than dye based inks, however if prints are to be used daily such as in a catalogue binder then dye based ink is best as it won't scratch like OEM pigment ink and inside a binder dye ink will last as long or longer than pigment based ink.

Lastly or in conclusion: I don't recommend using the epson connect update service. There have been reports of unstable firmware updates that cause unreliable ink level detection that end up costing you a-lot of money.
_
Adendum: Here are a few tips for generic or aftermarket ink cartridges as i have noticed that some people have problems with them.

A: Sometimes you will get a "not genuine epson ink" on your computer screen even after it has been installed for a while. Ignore the computer screen and just answer YES you are sure to use this ink ++on the printers touch screen++, if you use the cancel or accept on the computer screen pop up message it will mess up your print. If done on the printer itself the print will continue where it left off. When you use the epson prints touch screen to clear the error it sends a signal to the computer that the error is fixed and you avoid printing problems. Also make certain that you properly insert the cartridges into the printer and the microchips on the ink cartridges are clean . Even the original epson cartridges will give "not original" if they don't have proper contact to the print head. In most cases a space the thickness of a sheet of paper is what prevents the ink cartridge chips from contacting the print head.

B: The second message is "unable to recognize ink cartridge" As silly as this sounds this actually also means that the ink cartridge is empty. Yeah i know they could have just said "empty".

C: Don't update your epson printer's firmware.

I use orignal epson ink myself but i run these printers a-lot so i can say that the OEM Epson ink isn't that great unless you are printing a-lot and leaving the printer off for about a day will often clog the print heads.

This is an adendum for just over a year of use. Both of my 3640 printers burnt out the print heads in just over a year and that included about 1300 regular copies and 50 or so 8.5x11 photos. I wouldn't give this a good rating especially for the cost of the ink. Epson won't even answer me on the phone or email, so that's not good. When compared to older epson's or even my canon ip3000 which had exponentially more printouts before it gave out, not to mention much less ink cost. I decided to get a decent colour laser printer and brother inkjet printer and if you know how to properly work just about any graphics program similar to photoshop then it's possible to get as good as inkjet in photo quality.

The new eco tank CIS epson printers (ex epson et-4550) i noticed have the print head communication cables sealed HOWEVER they are insanely over priced.

March 29, 2016. Since i got up this morning i check on this 3640 a half dozen times and i seen prices from 99$ to 211$ in a peroid of about 4 hours. Once it was 141$ free shipping then it was down to 121$+ 41$ shipping, now it's 211$ + free shipping. There is no way prices fluctuate like that. I was going to buy one for the office but they lost my interest with these pricing games. Looks like epson has adopted "the price is right" game show routine of rigging prices.

At the moment Brother is leading the inkjet market as far as printer and ink cost. While not as quick as epson or canon printers, the wifi and other printer features are roughly equal. Even if the Brother tech support isn't all that good, the general oem and generic ink and printer cost makes it much easier to take if it's breaks down. Many of the Brother printers are using Dye based ink so that's a good thing.
on January 28, 2016
I want to try and save people from wasting their money on this product. I started having issues with this printer right from installation but since I was eventually able to get it to install I decided to give it a try. In the first couple months the print quality was extremely good but went down hill from there. I have probably used more ink trying to unclog the printer heads then actually used for printing and after no more then 6 months this became a routine problem where I would have to unclog the printer heads almost every time I wanted to print. I would like to also mention even with spending hours trying to unclog the printer heads I can now only get the print quality to passable but not great. The WiFi worked for a day with my HP Pavilion laptop. I found that every time I turned off the printer or my laptop I would have to go through the WiFi set up all over again and eventually it stopped working all together. This was something I was willing to oversee at the time because of the print quality. The scanning feature only worked once on my laptop and that was it. I have to scan documents to a USB and then transfer them to my computer from there. Lastly, when you do run into problems you will find that most of the help offered through their support will not actually solve anything or it might the first time but that's about it.

What you will get if you purchase this printer: hours spent trying to fix an array of problems, poor support, lots of frustration.

I wish more people would come back to change their review after the initial purchase of this product because I believe the star rating of this product would be completely different and would save a lot of people from purchasing it. I truly hope this review will save someone else from going through the same frustration that I did.
on March 4, 2017
exactly the upgrade i needed. Our last epson was a workhorse for 6 years, finally gave up. This one has lots of great features that have improved ease of use and capacity for me. Two paper trays. Automatic paper turning for two sided printing. Wifi set up was super-easy. Love it
on April 7, 2017
A reliable easy-to-use printer which produces excellent quality even for photograph printing. I have not used the scanner feature since I have a separate Epson scanner. The only weakness resides in the fact that for some reason the display seems to avoid the use of the term "PRINT", in describing the functions. Copy is not the same as Print.
on May 4, 2016
print quality has been terrible on my unit, even following several thorough head cleanings.

Also the scanning capability is "just ok" as it was difficult to connect to my mac drive, and the scanning took repeated attempts before i was able to get a useable version. It requires much fiddling with the settings to get it right.
on April 25, 2017
Though there was a little problem, I contacted the seller and offered pictures, she ave me a replacement in one minute. I highly recommend and at such a great valued price. made a perfect gift high quality,easy to use Works great does exactly what it meeds to do, and you cant beat the price.Bought it for my mother. She loved it so much that she bought another for a friend. two thumbs up
on April 24, 2017
on September 19, 2017
I have never regretted a product purchase as much as this one. The printer is now just another piece of tech that will go to the landfill. Within a year, the print head got blocked to the point where it cannot be fixed with the maintenance tools, and repair is more expensive than the unit is worth. DO NOT buy this if you want a good experience with your printer. If you want mine, you can have it for free.
on March 23, 2017
Je l'ai essayé et vraiment, elle est superbe. Je n'ai pas imprimé à date de photos, mais la digitalisation, les copies et les impressions se sont exécutées sans problème. De même la fonction WiFi a fonctionné dès le premier essai. Je n'ai pas, pour l'instant, de commentaires négatifs. C'est vraiment une belle acquisition qui semble vouloir être très versatile. Je n'ai pas essayé non plus la fonction fax.