HPC Deals Echo countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM All-new Kindle Paperwhite sports

March 27, 2017
While I'm not typically a modern-fantasy fan, this is the second book by Gallant-King that I've enjoyed immensely. The author has a excellent voice which reads easily and gives the story a casual but eerie feel. Avoiding the heavy-handed seriousness of typical horror or fantasy novels.

The characters are walking caricatures, hilarious in their extremes, but somehow still feel like real people I could possibly know in real life. They maintain their personalities and behave and react true to their natures, never suddenly switching personalities or roles to suit the story. I bought into the characters completely, which is hard to do in this type of story: setting comic characters in a horror-fantasy situation.

The twist near the climax is unexpected and delicious, and the book ends perfectly, the author doesn't pander.

I would have liked a better diversity of female characters, but not enough of a bother to affect my rating. Well done. I'll continue to watch this author. If you like this, try his Ten Thousand Days- same feel and smooth read.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink