October 26, 2014
I bought "<b>The Wishing Jar</b>" by chance. A woman talked our ear off at her garage sale. This novel seemed magical but I strained to skim the synopsis and after purchasing it, expelled a flash of dismay that it wasn't very paranormal. I read it shortly, to cease grumbling. I would either like it or be glad I finished it.

This summer, our beloved young cat died! Cats are our dearest family; this son's unexpected loss so painful, I needed sentimental reading. I'm not into general fiction but under these circumstances, this story struck the right tones, soothed the right places in my soul. For resonating with me and being a wonderful story: I give four stars. A widow lives with her daughter and granddaughter, unable to visualize life after her own widowhood and a stroke. They are uneasy. The girl dates a jerk, the Mom dates a snob but is mesmerized by a violinist. She should pursue him, with striking remarks about doing what you love, not choosing careers by how much they earn. "<b>It isn't about making a living. It's about making a life!</b>!

It is Grandma who takes a magical journey via the titular heirloom, witnessing herself as a child and also observing the first owner of their family's jar. The most poignant part in all of the book, made me grateful that grief over my 4 year-old cat is understood well. We learn that Great-Grandma lost twin toddlers. A year and a half later, she cries in her diary: 'It is unbearable that they could be gone, the same duration of time that they lived'! In four years, remembering this book will cheer me. I know our boy, <b>Love</b>, is so strongly engrained in our souls; that the brevity of time could never effect our bond.
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink