HPC Deals Alexa now speaks French countdown boutiques-francophones WFM sports

October 23, 2018
Our prairies and maritimes are most often clumped together; only spotlighted in books about each place. Crises are not happy reading but <b>Joan Dixon’s</b> 2005 book, after living all around our country, is well-sampled and thorough; made special by sensitivity, along with explanations of how dire conditions occurred. Manitoba was represented in “<b>Extreme Canadian Weather</b>”. We have had tornadoes and floods. Blizzards are common concerns on roads that are not properly treed against windswept snow.

In our pleasant time and place, crises are blessedly distant. I connected with this book more directly and earnestly than ever, because it was not discussing all old history, in some other land. A large number pertained to my home turf, all of them were about my homeland, and I remember some of the news items, myself. I cared and related keenly and paid attention to how various situations should be navigated. I praise <b>Joan</b> notably for concluding our history positively: solutions that our cities and towns contrived. I didn’t know about Manitoba’s 1826 and 1897 floods but my Dad remembers their record-breaker in 1950, which resulted in our “Red River Floodway” being engineered. Low-lying spots are a risk but Winnipeg has been safe since. The floodway saved us from a higher river crest, that I remember, in 1997! Unfortunately, many surrounding towns were affected and did rebuild.

The cover picture and first discussion pertained to Québec and environs but every Canadian shuddered for them. 1998 is recent history! A freak sequence of weather problems became too much for their power transformers and trees, leaving thousands of people still without electricity, after a month! It was a mini version of what Puerto Rico endured last year. I am grateful that homes and communities survive and I support anyone I can, in a time of need.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink