July 10, 2012
I'm a fan! I completely relate to cats coming everywhere and being key in my life. I was drawn to the secrecy of Rebecca's uncle Oscar, his American relic-hunting research, and endless clues potentially hidden throughout his home and antique store front. What an astounding reservoir of unique San Francisco, California history for a Canadian reader.

I make a superficial critique the way friends spending time together, rub a few nerves. Some authors overuse a word so much, I wonder if there's a lot of time between chapters. Ms. Hale needs to cease using "tugged", "tucked", and "gimped". "Tug" comes as early as page 3 in the third novel, still repeating until the end.

It is unnecessary to reiterate unpleasant traits. Yes, Harold Wombler needs to sanitize his wardrobe. It's gross to keep hearing he hasn't bathed. We get that Miranda Richards keeps expensive fingernails. In this first novel, mentioning an overpowering scent was worse. It got annoying that the protagonist sneezed every time and was afraid of standing near the woman. Number 1 peeve: the author has people clearing their throats way too often. It's a turn off from wonderfully original plots, settings, and characters we've been enjoying. Just clean up future novels pretty please!

You must read this adventure through tunnels and historic sites! Ms. Hale's style is tangible and humorous. You feel you're seeing whatever she describes for yourself and I love it. I leave a scene ranked high among all novelists!

"On the other side of the room, Monty was engaged in an animated conversation with Etta Gabella. Given the flailing arms gesticulating wildly around his head, I guessed Monty was telling her his ear-biting story".
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink