July 6, 2012
Imagine you are from a city with hot, indoor water. You marry in war and your man returns to his country. You can join him in a year, with a baby. After a long journey, all you want is tea and a bath... A pity the washroom is in a snow bank!

Cynthia J. Faryon's book will appeal to immigrants anywhere in the world and all who enjoy hearing how others live. The time line is brief, sticks to super salient events, and progresses well. I merely wish the emotional background were fuller. Details come from personal notes but the impact of meeting your son could be re-enacted. We know he fussed; not how the father felt or how long it took them to become close. Otherwise this is a well told story you read all the way through. You remember Gwen and her high-heeled shoes, stepping off a train platform that Saskatchewan winter.

We've seen cliché tales of mean relatives wanting a newcomer to fail. That was not Gwendoline Cramer's story. Thankfully too, hardship was brief; a mere introduction to old ways of prairie life.

I'm pleased by how widely Cynthia is published, to the benefit of Canadian history. A fellow townswoman, she autographed the book for my family and said "this is about my mother". I'm very proud to review a Richer author!
2 people found this helpful